Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
Hi Willie,
A friend of ours regularly drives from Nuweiba, which is about 40 mins from Taba, to Cairo and he says it takes on average, around 5 1/2 hrs.

When visiting him in Nuweiba, we fly to Sharm and are driven up from there. That takes around 1 1/2 - 2 hrs, depending on time of day and traffic. The road is quite good from Sharm and I certainly wouldn't hesitate to drive myself if I had to. I cant imagine the road from Suez to Sharm being any worse than that, as it is the main route. I believe that the main hold-up can be the Suez Tunnel, if traffic is heavy. In addition there are either 3 or 4 checkpoints between Sharm and Taba.

Hope this helps a little.
Cheers for that, we have decided to fly to Sharm and drive up from there. Really looking forward to seeing Taba and really looking forward to visiting Petra in Jordan.

Off to Cairo in an hour (2 days of chilling out before the flight on Sat morning :sun2 :cheers )

Regards

WG
OK, I'm just back from Taba and we had a great time. We decided to try the fly drive option coming from Cairo and it was fairly routine.......

Taxi to Cairo airport from hotel (45 mins)
Check in and wait for flight (60 mins)
Flight (60 mins)
Pick up bags and get to car (30 mins)
Drive from sharm to Taba (150 mins)

Total time 5 hrs 45 mins
Total cost 170 GBP

Return journey was by car from Taba to Cairo on excellent roads....

Total time 5 hours
Total cost 80 GBP

Guess which way I'd choose for future visits.....

Stayed at the Marriott and the hotel looks like it's trying to restore it's image. The management and staff work very hard to make your visit enjoyable and they are a credit to the Marriott brand. As a local, I took advantage of the cheaper rates to upgrade to a Junior Suite. The hotel was so impressed, they upgraded us to an Executive Suite (very nice). The beach was clean and safe, the food was excellent and best of all, the hotel offers 3 happy hours a day in various bars.

Regards

WG
willieg1888,
I am so excited to find somebody who just did a car trip from Taba to Cairo. My wife and I are in Eilat for 2 days and will cross over into Taba.
We have full visas, got those here in the US. We will be staying at the Grand Hyatt in Cairo.
Please give me all the details.
Private car?
Air conditioned?
Did you stop on the way?
Where do they pick you up?
Safe journey?
Contact #, email, etc.
and anything else you think may help us including Cairo day trips etc.
The mazada travel folks qouted me US $300. I think you found a better and reasonable deal.
Thank you so very much,
Ajay Mehta.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.