Cruises

Discussions relating to Cruising holidays
Hi prindy and welcome to HT!

We have an extensive travel insurance topic HERE with recommendations on page 1.

I read recently of a member getting reasonable insurance from Age Concern so they may be worth a try.

luci :wave
I note that some insurance companies ask whether your holiday involves a cruise or not. Is this just a general question or is it the case that cruise holidays are not covered unless specifically mentioned? Also I note that some companies define Russia as part of Europe and others don't. Given the difference in policy costs available it is wise to shop around but on the other hand it's important to be folly covered.
It is important to check,

The tesco policy wording has changes as far as I can tell so includes cruises but only for certain lengths so be carefull on renewal as well.

If it does not say not included then I would "asume" they are with caution.

Also be carefull on "existing" medical conditions I saw one policy that anything in the last two 2 years was "existing" for some policies only 3months.
Hi,

We had problems too. Eventully got a good deal with Llodys bank. They cover you until 80 and are pretty good with pre existing conditions.
I've just tried Tesco for a quote. Their standard policy does not include cruises and their quote worked out more than Thomson's own policy!
Try Atlas direct. We got an annual policy, which includes cruising, at a ridiculous price, with cover comparable with others.
Just booked my insurance through Argos. The agent confirmed that their European cover does include cruises and I got a family policy for a very reasonable rate - more than half the price of Thomson's premium.
I added my mum who is 68 years young onto our cruise in October. She was needing Travel Insurance and that same day I got an email from Travelodge advertising their new Travel Insurance. Got a quote and was pleasantly surprised at only £30.50 for the week which covers the cruise.

As the cruise calls at Turkey I did check with them whether Turkey is covered under European and got an email response confirming it would be. The insurance is through AIG.
The difficulty with getting insurance for cruises is sometimes because of the length of the cruise. A friend of mine has taken many cruises and this is the first time he has had a problem. He has booked a half world with P & O for 69 days. His current annual policy will only cover trips up to 45 days.They will not extend this even at extra charge. He now has to find someone to insure with and cancel his current policy or just not re new it as his trip is next year. Can't see the difference in 1 of 69 and 2 of 45 myself.
I need to sort out travel insurance and I feel stupid for asking this because I'm sure I know the answer already - if we are visiting Morocco on our cruise does that mean I need to buy worldwide insurance as opposed to just Europe. I'm 99.9% sure it does - just a nuisance that you have to do so when you're only going to be there a couple of hours and we may not even get off the boat.

Having said that, there may not be a lot of (cost) difference between European and Worldwide insurance anyway, which will make me feel even stupider for asking :D
Best to check but I think I read that ....'if the country borders the mediterranean it counts as Europe' for insurance purposes. It might have just been the company we used at the time, so Like I say its best to check with your company.
Yes I would check the policy wording on several policies to make sure. I'm pretty sure you will find one that treats Morocco as Europe.

luci :wave
There is a significant difference between European and Worldwide...it doubles approximately. Think you should be OK with European, but definitely check the small print!
Better safe than sorry ....... not wishing to sound anti-Morocco but when I did a coach tour there 2 years ago I got sick and it really destroyed my holiday - visited every toilet in Marrakesh and Fez!
You may want to look at an annual policy if you go more than once a year

also use a cash back site like quidco, people are getting insurance products very cheap through this option. eg £100 off car and house insurance not seen travel mentioned but worth a shop around.
Thanks everyone, I found a policy that includes Morocco as Europe (I didn't think they'd do this so that's me pleased!) - went via a recommendation from Money Saving Expert blokey's site, was going to go for the £35 for a couple annual cover when I discovered that the single trip was £9.90 for two, now you can't complain at that!
During a recent cruise a friend was injured whilst ice skating - imagine her amazement when her holiday insurance company refused to pay out - because she didn't have winter sports cover.

Not the first thing you'd think of checking. Is it :que
Good point, and also think about those excursions that might not be covered,

Zip line,
Kayaking,
Off road jeeps
horse back
fast boats

And with RCI as well as the ICe rink don't forget
Climbing wall
inline skates
going on an RCI cruise in august,checked my insurance a couple of weeks ago as my daughter will be going on the flowrider and i am hoping to get an ice-skating lesson(used to be good at it,but lost the nerve)

covered for all activities.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.