General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
Yes that's what I was thinking. Turkey are stlll to join eu so want currency, not so sure on other european countries!
Thanks lynn
sj
just got back from zante (greece)
used my nationwide card and the resort was giving between 1.18 and 1.20 and got my statement today
we were getting between 1.25 and 1.27 out of the atm
Just bought my $$$ for Florida. :sun2

£2003.48 = $3910

exchange rate was 1.9516

I am happy with that. Started this morning at 1.89 from the Post Office :yikes

AMC316
Only 3 1/2 wks until my holiday and have got my new Nationwide debit card ready and waiting thanks to recommendations from HT users. I've never used an atm abroad before, I'm sure I read somewhere that the machine asks if you want conversion done in Euros and you should opt for 'yes' to get the best exchange rate. Can someone please clarify this for me? Thanks, Nic.
What it will likely ask is, "Do you want the currency conversion in sterling?" You must say No.

Whichever way round it asks you have to select the euros option and not sterling, otherwise you will get whatever conversion rate the ATM imposes and it will be less than the Nationwide one.

luci :wave
Topped up my prepay currency card yesterday at €1.2575 as sterling hit a 3 month high v Euro on the back of BOE policy minutes!!! Don't go on hols for another 3 weeks but decided to grab that rate now :)

The rates falling back away from that now but still showing 1.2550

Best of it is that the previous high 3 months ago was when i bought my last lot of Euro for cyprus!!
Thomsons the travel agency were giving a rate of £1= 1.24 Euros yesterday, I tried all the other agencys and thomsons was the best everywhere else was only giving between 1.20 and 1.22 Euros.
Im trying to decide how many euros to take on a trip to Dublin in 2 weeks, usually go to M&S or Post office but will check Thompsons etc...

Did get application form for Abbey Zero account but not got round to sorting that and dont really want a new account as wont be travelling much.

I will prob get say £200 changed for a 4 day trip - then once there realise just how expensive Dublin is and will have to use my card or ATM?
I have noticed that most places give you a slightly higher rate if you change £500 or more.

I changed my money on Saturday in a First Choice bureau de change. When I asked what the exchange rate was that day she asked me if I'd had a quote elsewhere. When I said yes, 1.21 (that was last week though) she said that as I was changing £500 she'd do it for 1.22 :think Seemed strange, as I thought the rates were fixed not open to negotiation. Anyway, I took it, as I couldn't be bothered looking around just to find 0.01 or 0.02 more.
I went into a travel agents today to ask about the exchange rate for the YTL, i was told it was 2.8...not sure what that means exactly, but when i said i had £1000 to exchange she said she could probably do a slightly better deal... but was advised by a friend not to exchange the money until september? I dont go away until october, but worried that if i dont do it now, i will end up dipping into it... will the exchange rate be any better in a couple of months? :que
No idea Mitchell, but I hope it improves pd.q. ( we go away in 4 weeks.)

My youngest has decided he wants a bank account (been saving hard for his hols
and wants to continue afterwards.)

He has a building society account but no, he wants a debit card.

So I was going to take him into Nationwide and see if he can get a Flex account there
but he can't as he isn't 16 for another 2 months.
(He can get an account with a Solo card though.)

I was going to put my holiday spends in his account so he /we could draw the euros out
commission free and at a good rate. :(

I'll have to see about opening one for myself...
mitchellclr wrote:
but was advised by a friend not to exchange the money until september? will the exchange rate be any better in a couple of months? :que

If you friend, or anyone else, knows this information she would be a very rich lady. ;) It is the job of the money brokers to speculate on rate changes.

I tend to watch rates and buy when I think it is a good rate. Sometimes I've been right and it has gone down after buying and other times it has gone up. It's a gamble I'm afraid, but you can track rates on http://www.xe.com

Thanks Luci.. think my friends idea is that because its only august...height of the season, then the exchange rate will improve after september... im just a bit confused about this kind of thing...(doesnt normally take much to confuse me anyway) ;)

thankyou for that link, think i will keep an eye on that! :tup

is it right that you get a better exchange at a post office, than you would at the travel agents?
I will also be keeping any eye on that aswell , I'm hoping that the euro will improve by september as thats when we are off on our hols, I know it can go up and down all the time but a while ago on gmtv there was some guy on that said it should improve by september :que i'm hoping it does
Use this site http://www.comparetravelmoney.co.uk to see what the current rates are at all the High Street outlets.

You can sign up on both of these to get a daily email of all the rates.

I usually order currency months in advance is I am going to the US from Crown Currency Exchange and get more than the Interbank rates which is considerably higher than the Tourist rate. For Europe I use my Nationwide FlexAccount card in ATM's.

Just to let people know if they are interested and have a tesco travel money bureau inside there local tescos the euro is at 1.2354 today that's the best I could get
€1.26 available today on fairfx :cheers
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.