General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
Hi Pat.e10

I have used cash machines in Portugal and Spain and both have only given the choice in euros.
Pat,
When using an ATM abroad it will ask you how many Euros you want, not, how many Pounds (is that what you meant?)
You would need to know roughly how many Euros equal the amount of money you want.
If I remember it offered -50 euros
100 euros
200 euros
500 euros
750 euros
1000 euros

It will first ask you what language you want, so just press Union Jack or English and the instructions will come up in English.
Other than that they are just the same as here.
Denny
If it asks which type of account you are withdrawing from choose Checking.

Important - if it give you the option of conducting the transaction in euros or sterling always choose euros or it will convert at a very poor rate.

luci :wave
thanks for that info
lucy and denny
thats exactly what i was trying to say
off to zante next thursday so getting to excited to think straight
:sun2 :sun2 :sun2 :sun2
why didnt you say.. the greek atm's only despense Evro.. but the above advice applies if you use your card for goodies always pay in Evro not sterling

wiz

[im going back in october]
Going to tenerife in 2 weeks and we will need to pay hotel bill when we are there in Euros. Are we best to take travellers cheques in euros or sterling? Do we pay commission on both of them, presume we will pay commission if we pay for hotel bill in travellers cheques?

Have read about nationwide flex card. Do I have to open a current account with them to get one or can I just open a normal account? Sounds like a good alternative to travellers cheques but do not want to change my current account. have I left it too late to aplly for one now anyway? :que

:( Sure i posted this in the Tenerife forum, why has it been moved?? :que
because if you read back through this thread you will find all your questions answered, as this is the main thread for these questions
hi do you think its safe to use a cash machine abroad i worry incase my card didnt work when we go there io if my card got swallowed for some reason then we would be without money which would be a disaster.
my boyfriend will take his card too just incase as he gets paid during the holiday which i think we may only use if we had to if we manage to save enough spends that is. so if i did use my card and the worst happend could someone back home maybe transfere my money to my boyfriends account so we could still get it that way, or could i use internet banking or phone them and get it transfered? or do you think the bank would give me another card just incase anything happens to the other one? we dont have any credits cards either. i have a nationwide felxi account and my boyfriends with natwest. thanks!
linzi.. just follow a few basic rules

1] look closely at the machine, dose it look like the card slot is strange, then walk away and find another
2]is it overlooked by anything that could conceal a small camera [say a leaflet rack] walk away

if it looks standard then its probably OK

Make sure you inform your card issuer [bank] in writing [keep copy] where and when you are going, if not they might block the card for unusual usage, also if it gets cloned and used in a country other than where you go the bank has no comeback on you

i have used mine all over Europe & turkey without incident

wizard
Hi Linzi , Your cash card should work in the machines abroad , it might be a bit safer if you took a mixture of cash and shared the money between the 2 bank accounts , cash machines can get faults just like the ones here do from time to time and if the machine goes on the blink during your transaction and keeps your card you need to have other ways to get at your money.
Your bank will probably not issue you with a spare card for your account.
You asked about getting funds into the other account , you would be able to use your phone banking to transfer money to your boyfriends account but need to be aware that as he banks elsewhere it may take up to 4 working days to reach his account .
Don't worry too much about using the cash machines but just leave yourself more than one option to get your money .
Alison
hi, thankyou both for your replys, not sure what i am going to do yet, ill see what my boyfriend thinks of it thanks!
:oops: Thanks Wizard

It was the question about the flex card that i would have liked an answer to. :bawl . I will take sterling travellers cheques.
they wont normally issue an additional card unless is to a joint account holder,, there is nothing wrong with using either card abroad, We use ours all over Europe and to date [touch wood] have not had a problem.. just follow the simple safety rules..oh and when the machine asks what type of account remember to press checking account and if you use it for shopping or taverna's dont let it out of sight

wizard
Hi, have just applied for a Nationwide flexaccount/debit card to use for my holiday spends, so thanks to all for the recommendations on here for it. Being a bit of a worrier though I want a backup card...and have applied for an Abbey Zero credit card (my existing credit card carries the usual fees). Looks pretty good as no foreign transaction fee or ATM cash charge (just interest to pay on balance). Have a look at http://www.Abbey.co.uk if interested. Thought it worth having just as a 'just in case' card.
Hi Guys

What is the current rate of the euro I am changing 200 quid next week, and the best rate I can get is 125.00 from american express shop in manchester, cant believe how bad it is at the mo, shall I wait till I am in fuengirola what do you lot think... ;)
Hi Kazza36

If you look back through the recent posts, you'll see that most of us would recommend taking the Nationwide flexaccount card and drawing the money out of an ATM whilst abroad. Best rate all round. :tup

Louise
kazza36

I would check out tht rate of €1.25 very carefully. The Interbank rate is around €1.26 at the moment and you usually get a good few cents less in exchange here. Make sure it is commission free and that it's is not for changing a huge amount.

luci :wave
Hi,
A few questions.
Can anyone tell me if its cheaper to get euros abroad than here at the moment. It was last year in Turkey. This year going on a cruise starting in Venice.Only need euros for ports of call so approx 300GBP we think. Don't want to get a card account just best deal. Will it vary if its cash or switch too?
Thomas cook are offering 1.23 is this a good rate?

Many thanks
sj
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.