General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
be better with some euro's and the rest sterling travellers cheques
be carefull with all cash as your insurane wont cover you
but if you lose cheques you will get them replaced
If he is not arriving until tomorrow night most of the exchange places may be closed so he wouldn't have any money (euros) for his first night. We have travelled without euros in the past, but have usually got them from an ATM on arrival at the airport apart from one time when all the ATM's at the airport were broken.

He would also need to check his travel insurance to make sure that the amount of sterling he is taking is covered for loss or theft. The limit can be quite low so he would neee to check his policy.

Personally I think he should take enough euros for the first day or so otherwise he won't have be able to buy a drink or a snack on arrival.

luci :wave
Hi

Thanks so much for the advice. I've just spoken to him, he is off to get some Euros now, then will use the ATM when there.
Thanks again,

Jane :thanks
Just had a look at my long list of things to do before we go on holiday on Sunday. I need to print out the cheat sheet. I've been having a play about with it but can't work out how to change the exchange rate. If anyone can help me I want Turkish Lira at a rate of 2.50 -> GBP.

The interbank rate is 2.6something, i'd rather have it the same as I what I got if I can.

Ive got all my Euros to go to Gran Canaria out of the Credit Union.
The rate is €1.47 to the pound. Cant find better than that anywhere. 8)
Anyone looking for US Dollars, a place called Harvey World Travel in Lichfield have been doing very good rates of late (much better than the post office, travel agents etc) and they do free delivery on orders over £500.
Have a look at http://travelmoney.moneysavingexpert.com/ compares all sites on the Internet for the best deal available that day.

Dave
We have just changed sterling to euros at Banca March in Tenerife and was given 1.48 no commission.
For rates here No1 currency beats almost all for euro and dollar rates . They sell through various outlets across the country. Check http://WWW.no1currency.com for your nearest outlet or to compare rates with those quoted by moneysavingexpert.
Hi
Going to Turkey next week and was looking at buying a post office currency card. has anyone ever used one of these in turkey and am i right in thinking that I would need to buy a sterling card which would allow me to take turkish lira from any ATM machine. Or would it be easier to just use ny debit card. Don't really want to bother with travellers cheques but worried about taking cash like we normally do after reading of cash being stolen from safety deposit boxes etc. going to Hisaronu after 8 visits to Icmeler, are there plenty of ATMs in that area?
Any help would be much appreciated.
shaz150
I've never had problems in the past as in Europe I've always taken some Euros and debit/credit cards and in Tunisia I take sterling and the cards. However, I'm off to Denmark early next month to stay with a friend for five days. This means I have two problems - firstly Denmark doesn't use euros and secondly my friend lives in a small village and I very much doubt cashpoints will be readily available. :roll: As I'm only going for a few days I shan't need a great deal of cash, particularly as it sounds as if I won't have much to spend it on, but I do need some so that I can pay for a meal/coffee etc. if we go out. I can't ask her as I know she will just say I don't need any. It looks as if I shall have to get some kroner over here so where would be the best place to get it?
Hi aslemma ... it may vary locally, but I always find that Marks & Spencer offer the best commission free exchange rates.

David :wave
There are normally ATM's at the airport. Would it be too much of a gamble to wait and get them at Copenhagen airport?

luci :wave
You could try this site for ideas of where to get the best rates.
http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travelmoney
Why not get them at your DEPARTURE airport
Thanks everyone for your suggestions. As I don't really need to take a lot I think I'll either get some at Stansted before I go, or alternatively at Esbjerg airport when I get there, as any discrepancy in rates won't be as annoying as it would be with a larger amount.
I always thought M&S was the best place to get Euros from apart from the on line companies but today there rate was only 1.41 and Dawson and Sanderson and Thomas Cook were offering 1.43.
Husband and I are really annoyed at the current euro exchange rate and I'm sure we're not alone. We go on a cruise around the med next month and haven't got any currency yet.
The only thing we'll need euros for really is taxis/trains, snacks and gifts but it's really annoying to think that you only get 80p per £1!
Do you think it's best we take english money and change it whilst we're there or shall we just bit the bullet and accept it over here? It's not going to be different anywhere else really anyway is it?
Does anyone in the know have advice on whether it would be a good time now to exchange pounds to Euros for our summer hol in August. I know the Euro is very low at the moment but something tells me that it's just going to get worse. I know it's a risk - buy now in case it sinks lower or wait and hope that by August the rate will be better. What are your general opinions on this?
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.