General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
No1 currency
366 Posts
where is the best place to get euros anyone know where the best rate is ?
the best rate is usualy in the country you are going to exchanging sterling cash
If you are buying in this country before you travel, I usually find that Marks & Spencer have some of the best commission free rates.

David :wave
Try http://www.comparetravelmoney.co.uk This will give you the current rates at most of the high street banks and travel agents.

luci :wave
thanks for that....
Can anyone advise on the best way to make the most of my money? I usually withdraw cash from ATM's using my nationwide account as they don's charge any fees for withdrawals abroad and I also take some euros. I was just wondering if I would be better off taking travellers cheques?
sara ... many of our members recommend and highly praise the Nationwide card. But you may want to be prepared for the perhaps unlikely possibility of the card being lost or swallowed by the machine. These are situations which are not always easily resolved in a holiday situation, and so a back up card or Sterling Travellers Cheques may be a wise precaution.

David :wave
That's a good point. Would not like to be left with no access to cash. Thanks for the advice.
Can I use Euro traveller cheques to buy items in spain, like I have used my USD traveller cheques in Florida or do you have to exchange for local currency?

Despite what is shown on comparetravelmoney.co.uk, Thomas Cook rate for Euros is currently 1.42.
I've just had a look on travelex once you go through to request how much money you want etc i noticed it gives you the option to get mixed notes. Im going to Dom Rep and want to take US$ and will need smaller notes for tipping etc.. do you reckon they will give smaller notes as part of the mixed note option?
Can I use Euro traveller cheques to buy items in spain

No, you will have to change them for local currency at a bank or exchange bureau first - they won't be accepted in direct payment for goods or services. Calling them 'cheques' is a bit of a misnomer really, they're simply a way of ensuring that you'll be able to obtain cash over the counter at a bank or official exchange office. To the best of my knowledge it is only in the US that they are treated as if they were cash in themselves.

SM
Hey:

Going to dominican republic next monday 8)

Brother has just come back from work after changing holiday money (£200 to $400) but it's all in $100 bills!!! :lol:

Would the bank be able to change this into smaller currencys? Will they charge?
Can anyone tell us if we will get a better rate if we change British pounds in Corfu than the 1.42Euro's that hsbc are offering at moment?

Leave on Monday so not got much time and hsbc seem to have the best high street rate at moment. thanks andyjan
drama queen:
thats what i would like to find out aswell! im not going till September but will need smaller notes like you! hope you have a good time :D
Hi Danielle:

You won't believe how hard it is! Just been to the bank and 2 travel agents! The bank and one of the travel agents were a simple 'no' and the other was really nice and helpful and said she only has $100 notes herself, no one wants to take them but she would if she could but she'll order some dominican pesos for us for tomorrow in small notes (£20 worth)

Our best option now is to get it changed at the airport!

Good luck
it seams Thomsons are doing a special offer on buying the euro

Depending on the branch Min Spend £750/£1000 Max allowed £5000

Current Rate: 1.44 euros to £1
does anyone know where the exchange rate is good at the moment...
Marks and Spencers are usually better than Travel agents. Karen
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.