Algarve/Portugal/Madeira/Azores Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Algarve
but I would not go anywhere that holds any risk of endangering my children or ourselves.

then perhaps you may consider getting the supermarket to deliver your shopping stay home and lock the doors, as you are more likely to be involved in a road accident in the UK than being hurt abroad,

Yes there was an incident last year on the beach of Alberfura, those who unfortunately suffered had been warned to keep well away from the cliff where the incident hapend,

as for earthquakes the whole of the Mediterranean suffers from some form of seismic disturbance so what do you do ... go to the Kent coast,the Norfolk/Suffolk coast [or somewhere else along the east coast] then remember we also have earth tremors regularly in the UK,

Hotels built in the last 20 or so years around the Mediterranean basin have been designed and constructed to withstand seismic events

wizard
The tremor last year wasn't severe by any means but enough perhaps to loosen some rocks on the cliff above a section of the beach. These are sandstone and unstable at the best of times, especially now after all the rain we have had this year

The unfortunate people who were killed ignored the warning signs - do not sit under the cliffs, danger of rocks falling! which are posted in several languages in a number of places.

I have lived here five years and have felt only one tremor in all that time and even that barely rattled the teacups.

Don't worry - but DO NOT SIT UNDER THE CLIFFS!
One of the "complaints" following last year's incident was that the signs were "only in Portuguese" so people assumed that it didn't apply to them! General rule of thumb for anywhere, any sign with only a couple of words in red is bad news so if not sure stay away! And Steve's first rule of foreign travel, learn the local words for "Danger" (and "Emergency Exit", but that's another issue!)
Most of the signs say 'Perigo and Danger' and/or 'Arribas Instaveis/Unstable cliffs' plus a pictogram of falling rocks to reinforce the point. All the casualties were Spanish and 'Perigo' is the same in both languages.

If you like to know how many tremors there are, visit

http://www.meteo.pt/en/sismologia/actividade/
We were in Sadari Corfu 3 years ago and were sitting in a restaurant when there was a tremor, and to start with we thought it was something to do with the music being played, until we were walking down the street and some other couples were saying it was a tremor. There was no damage at all just glad to have experienced one and not being hurt :) .
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.