Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Hi argo

While waiting for a specific reply you might finde something in here http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/forum/hampi-t151428.html?hilit=hampi

There are also several other pieces of information in different topics that you can find by entering Hampi in to the search facility at the top of the page :tup
thanks Kiltman .... strange that i did exactly the thing you suggest but somehow i missed the message of Prettypollycat. it was very informative. thanks to you and to Prettypollycat :D
argo
Hi, a few tips based upon my experience
The train takes about 8 hours and it is a classic "Indian Experience". It is quite dirty, goes fairly slow, airconditioning comes from the open windows, the seats are in what they laughingly call public sleeper format - you would really not want to sleep in them. There are really young child beggars crawling around on the floor beneath the seats - you will often see a grubby hand appear next to your legs. And there are ladyboys prowling. If you fall asleep and awaken to feel something/someone stroking your face, it's scary!
Positives? This is a truly GREAT train journey, after adding three engines to get the necessary push, it zigzags up the mountain crossing the Dudshager Falls and then heads into Karnataka. There IS food and tea served to your seat on the train. It costs very little and it is really tasty and I enjoyed it and I did not die! The views from the train are great. And if you do actually like India, bad and good, (I do) then you will have fun with it and never forget it.
Most folk stay in hotels in Hospet near Hampi. I understand there are a couple of really decent ones now. I was unlucky. Avoid, avoid avoid, staying at the Hotel Priyadarshini unless you are studying the behaviour of giant cockroaches en masse, and you like the contrast of grey/white with small red brown bloodstains on your bedsheets. (My review is on TA - with photographs)
Hampi is wonderful beyond description. Literally hundreds of temples, huge and tiny, scattered across a weird boulder strewn landscape. The amazing pink light at sunrise is something that will live with you forever.
I took hundreds of photographs, if you want to see some, or some short video of the train journey PM me please. But go. Go before tourism ruins it.
Hampi in my opinion, compares with the Pyramids for sheer stunning, breathtaking beauty.
Hi elephant I agree with everything uk bill says if you book with daytrippers or johns boat tours they dont always tell you about hotel upgrades and that hotel Priyadarshini yuk so when you book tell them you want to go to the krishna palace its fab great rooms glass lift ect and it worked out at £5each per night extra,we have been to Hampi twice and its one of our best trips ever,pm if you need more info.slan
We stayed Padmas and they tell me they are still there and wanting visitors despite the demolitions.
Its an amazing place to see.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.