Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
Who buys suncream in Turkey? we all know it's expensive over there so we take it with us,The Daily Mail haven't taken many price comparisons ,certainly not enough to make claims that Turkey is 60% dearer than Spain.A boat trip in Spain is much more expensive for a start,accommodation is more expensive,waterpark entrance fees about twice the price.
Do we go to Turkey to sit in restaurants or cafes complaining about the prices of suncream and cigarettes or do we go for the beautiful scenery,historical sites and great value excursions.I like Spain and usually visit once a year but spend more money there than we do whilst in Turkey.
This topic has been raised before. I would take the results with a pinch of salt. Turkey is as expensive or as cheap as you want it to be, and certainly not on the scale descibed in the article.

Turkey prices shot up today,dearer than EU!!

Darren
There do seem to be a lot of the comparison articles about and I don't really see how they work.

You can find huge differences in prices just between two places in one resort so how can they say one country is more expensive than another?

As Oscarben says trips in Turkey are a lot cheaper than anywhere else I have been, we didn't do day trips in Spain, Portugal or Greece because they were very expensive.

We go to Turkey because we love it there :)
Don't understand this at all, to be honest - I've already booked a holiday in Turkey at the end of May, and was looking for a cheapish week in February - anywhere at all - and the Spain ones were all coming in more expensive than Turkey, so it'll be Turkey again for us.
And that's not even taking into account how much nicer and friendlier the Turkish people are. I've had better food, better service - better everything, in fact - in Turkey than I have ever had anywhere in Spain!
8 items were used in the comparison,bet we could find 10 items cheaper in Turkey than in Spain,I will start it off: Boat trip,including lunch ,around £10,drinks can be included for a bit extra.
Public transport, where else could you get a dolmus so cheap? I will agree with boat trips too,amazing value for a day out.
Very cheap accommodation, especially if booked privately.
Historical sites,very reasonable charges,some are even free.
I had a boat trip WITH luch AND drinks for a tenner.

T bone steak,tenner
And what about the beer?

Bein blunt thats a lot of garbage 60% dearer my arse as Jim Royle would say
In our experiences of Spain, we've found that they favour the Germans over us Brits and so, this story is something of a red herring. It will be interesting to see just how many holiday makers jump ship to go to Spain and how many will live to regret having gone there and come grovelling back on here this time next year and say that Dazbo was right !! People who know and love Turkey and its people will vote with their wallets and return year after year. You don't need to go through a Tour Operator, select your hotel, contact them and Book your room/transfer and then book your flights with Pegasus, Easyjet or Turkish Airlines and save a packet into the bargain.

Dazbo HT Mod wrote:
This topic has been raised before. I would take the results with a pinch of salt. Turkey is as expensive or as cheap as you want it to be, and certainly not on the scale descibed in the article.

Les
I find it hysterical that the original poster says they cant go to Turkey anymore and Gule Gule Turkey because of what the daily mail says

hysterical :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl
How can they say that Spain's much cheaper than Turkey just based on the price comparison of 8 or 9 items. We enjoy Spain for short breaks and also love Turkey. We can get to either destination at competitive prices. what it boils down to is how you spend your holiday and the costs involved.

If you like boat trips and exploring by jumping on and off dolmuses and the occasional drink or two Turkey can work out very reasonable but if like us you like to spend your evenings eating and drinking I've found it definitely has become quite expensive. I'm basing my facts not on a few items purchased out there but on a 2 week holiday we had in Olu last year. It was quite a bit more expensive than our recent holidays to Spain but as I said that's because of the things we like doing.
Out of all the resorts I have been to in Turkey, Olu Deniz is definitely the most expensive. We went AI and I was glad we did. Everywhere on the Bodrum peninsular, I have found reasonably priced. Especially food and local drinks.I would agree you can't make an assumption that Turkey is more expensive based on a few items of shopping.
I have usually booked my summer holiday to Turkey by now but so far I have held back because the prices have went up quite a bit compared to last year. If they dont come down in the next week or two I think I will go back to Sharm El Shiek again.
Scotty, just to remind you of what Dazbo said, Turkey is as cheap or expensive as you want it to be. Please don't be put off by a scare mongering newspaper, follow your heart, 9 times out of ten they get their facts wrong anyway. Take note of what shirley h and minione have posted. Here in Altinkum you can get a two course Sunday Roast(also with a Meze to start, this is optional at no extra cost) and a soft drink, for the two of us, we pay 46 lira(£16.14p). In a proper Turkish establishment, we recently paid 14 lira(£4.91), again, this was for two people. So how can Turkey be classed as expensive ??

Les
I agree turkey is as cheap or as expensive as you want it to be , however as I have posted before the tipping culture in turkey adds a considerable amount to your holiday should you choose to do so!!the bar staff at your hotel, the maids,the coach/ transfer diver, the staff on your gulet /jeep safari trip a tip after a meal,the belly dancer at Turkish night the break dancers at Turkish night all want tips and if you tip everyone !!.
Whata load of!
We take things that cost a lot ie sun lotion because it's so expensive there but i can tell you i spent £300 in 3days/2nts in Spain last year for just 2 of us out and about and we're not heavy spenders and there was no trips included in that!
That money would pay for trips, meals plenty of non alcoholic and alcoholic drinks for almost 4 days for 2 adults and their 11yr old in Turkey!
As previously stated who goes to buy goods like that abroad?
Turkey is all about good value even for todays economy...it's still loads cheaper than most places in Europe..I agree you can get a cheap flight rtn and hotel for about £100 or just under to Spain but once you're there it is expensive for resteraunts , trips etc unless you are a sun worshiper beach or poolside most of the time then you won't be out spending anyway!

I do feel it's an unfair comparrison as it does not represent Turkey as a whole holiday experiance money wise.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.