Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
Turkey Newbie!
16 Posts
Hi Dawn,

Parkim Ayaz is a good hotel, right on the beach and right in the centre of Gumbet. You are right that the season doesn't usually start until May but more and more places are beginning to open the last week or so in April so it wont be dead there. Gumbet is also just 10 minutes away from Bodrum by dolmus, these are small minibuses that run every 5 or 10 minutes, they ar a great way to travel.

The weather is usually nice this time of year, not hot hot but certainly warm enough in the day time, although the evenings may get a little chilly. The sea and pool temperature however will be very low so unless you are very brae you may not get too much swimming in!

Prices are reasonable in Gumbet but they have gone up in the last few years, as you are half board you will probably only want to have some lunch out and you will find it pretty cheap for that. Drinks can be a bit expensive though. Beer was about 5TL last year (around £2.20) for a large one but there has been an increase in alcohol ta this year so it could be a little more. Local spirits aren't too bas but imported ones are very expensive. Wine too is expensive.

There is entertainment in the hotel, they usually have belly dancers, Turkish night, barbeques, kids discos etc.

If there is anything else you want to know just ask as I used to live in Gumbet for a few years.

Kedi
Thankyou thats really helpful, bit disapointed about the pool though, little un was looking forward to the slide!! Mind you they don't seem to feel the cold as much as we do!
I have stayed at the Parkim Ayaz for the last 2 years ,both times in May.This is the only hotel that we have returned to twice.
You can read the review I did in 2009 which I didnt repeat last year as everything was the same.
Its an excellent hotel and in a great position on the beach in the centre of the resort.
It should be lovely in April and you wont have the exceptionally loud music which comes from the 2 bars across the road.
Its worth asking for a quiet room NOT facing a wall!These rooms are dreadful and I always email the hotel asking for a quiet room overlooking the childrens play area.These rooms are in a block of only 8 rooms and the one we had was on the 1st floor with a lovely side sea view which got the sun on an afternoon.It also overlooked the beautiful gardens which has a family of tortoises.
This is on the Parkim side and the rooms here are more modern and bigger than the Ayaz side unless you opt for one of the De luxe rooms which are on the Ayaz side,but even some of these are next to the noisy bars.
Whichever side you end up in explore the rest of the hotel as its spread over what used to be 2 hotels and some people we spoke to just stayed by the pool near their rooms.
We liked the Ayaz pool as it had 120 large bean bags around the pool overlooking the sea which was lovely.
The hotel has 2 restaurants where you can have lunch and because of the state of the resort roads last year we ate in the Carpedium at lunch time on some days.The other restaurant is the Lady bird which does lunch time snacks but we like Lahmachuns and the Carpedium made them.
Theres a lovely Turkish restaurant ,Seray Zetas nearby where we also had lunch.
We spent some evenings at the Sami Beach next door. and all along the beach there are lovely bars and cafes.
We were tempted to go back this year but we are going to Rhodes for a change this May.
This is the hotels website which has lots of photos etc. http//parkimayaz.com/
  • Edited by Jay Trip 2011-01-31 21:07:24
Dawn there are slides at the pool on the Parkim slides and this was where most families spent their time. :tup There were plenty of families using it in May but I dont know if it was heated.
There is also a jacuzzi in the Ayaz pool, which is great.
Thank you everyone, this has really helped put my mind at ease, as its the first time in Turkey, first time we've been away outside of July, first time we've been away with out the oldest, fist time we've booked on the spot!! Im really looking forward to it now, just can't wait to get away and relax! Hopefully the pool will be warm enough to enjoy the jacuzzi and slides, Ive seen the pics - looks fab. No doubt I will have plenty more questions before we go. I hope you enjoy Rhodes Jay!
Dawn although the food is excellent my hubby wanted a T bone steak one night so we went to the Columbia restaurant just along the beach path to the left.
My husband said it was the best steak he had eaten anywhere and it was enormous.It included garlic bread and a huge glass of wine.
I dont eat steak but had a chicken dish which consisted of 2 chicken breasts served on a huge sizzle plate,rice and vegetables.
The total cost was 45TL which at the exchange rate we were getting was £19.25! :tup
PS,The hotel has 2 massive bowls of fresh strawberries every night apart from Saturday!Get them before your meal to save queueing. :tup
The Columbia is also a favourite of ours. The mixed grill is very good.
I also agree with Jay's recommendation of Seray Zetas restaurant, it was always our favourite when we were there, lovely Turkish food and very cheap too. Columbia is also good :cheers
Thanks everyone, have started a note book for all of these helpful tips and reccomendations! :tup

Another question... does anyone know how much it costs to keep your room on the last day as we have a 5am flight time?! Also am I better to prebook this or just wait till I am there?

Ta x

PS... and another one - are towels provided for both beach and pool?!
Dawn457,

You'll have to ask at wherever you are staying as it's different everywhere you stay, and subject to the room being free. Some places will only give you until 6pm and charge anything from £20 upwards. You probably won't be able to pre-book it, I'd ask when you get their but they're likely to say ask us the day before your depart.

Darren
Dawn,a couple we met booked an extra night with Travel Republic for £16.This meant they could keep their room until they left at 1am.
We did this last October when we went to Icmeler and booked the extra night with Thomas Cook.
Try both of these as they will be cheaper than the hotel and you wont have to leave your room at 7pm.
Hope you have a great time. We are also travelling out for Easter and in previous years we have always had very pleasant weather although there is a slight chance of a shower but its usually short lived. The wild flowers in Turkey are beautiful at this time of year so you might fancy getting out into the countryside for a walk. I see you have kids with you and the Bodrum castle is very interesting, my kids really enjoyed looking round it.
Gutted I didnt get to Turkey Friday, have a prolapsed disc, spent the week before in hospital and am now out waiting for op :( The joys of trying to take on the insurance company now! Will definatley rebook as was so looking forward to something new - only thing is - at any other time there would be 4 of us and from what I can see the rooms at Parkim Ayaz only sleep 3 - can anyone confirm? x
Really sorry to hear you couldn't go. I had a prolapsed disc years ago and it is so painful. I hope you get better soon.
If it makes you feel any better I went and although we had a good time, the weather wasn't that good and I think it was better in UK!!! It was far too cold for me to swim in the sea although some of my family did. I'm going again at the end of next month and it should be lovely then.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.