Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
Citizen98,

Was speaking with a Turkish friend the other day and he mentioned the fires. I got the impression it was a regular event. Having read the link you posted it would appear it is more common than we knew. Can't recall it being mentioned when on holiday there. Hope everyone is safe.

Wilson :wink:
We where in Marmaris 2 weeks when the heat wave was on and there where lots of Forest Fires then.
The helicopter would fly over our hotel to get water from the sea to help put the fires out.

One of the Turkish people we know said it happens all the time and if you notice when you are coming in from the airport that are signs about Forest Fires.
Yes they had them last year when we were in Icmeler. The one day we felt the hot breeze from the fire on the hills, paired with the 45 degree air temp. None of the locals seemed bothered.
Laurence
Fires were a regular occurance last year and given the heat wave in that part of the world at the moment and a prediction that it's in for the rest of the summer, I would think it will be a regular occurance again this year and in years to come. They have various aircraft at their disposal for fighting fires, including the unusual Kamov contra-rotating helicopters. Chances are, you'll see one of them flying around during your holiday.

Darren
I remember when I was in Gumbet in 1996, I came home and looked at photos with friends, and they all wanted to know why I had taken a picture of a mosquito! It was actually a helicopter dumping water on a forest fire at the back of Bodrum, so they have been quite common for years. Also seen many in the Marmaris area too.

K x
There was quite a large fire just south of Side on Sunday and it didnt seem to put the locals out at all. Did hear on the plane that a village had been burned but no idea if true or not. Quite a sight seeing helicopters going back and forth to get the water.

shirl
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.