Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
Turunc
18 Posts
For a small resort you really are spoilt for choice regarding restaurants! Just a small selection:

Bondjuk - a few minutes walk from the centre, follow the road heading out of the village towards Icmeler - if you like lamb, order oven lamb the day before, they slow cook it over night, its delicious!

Fronting the beach: Korfez always good. Han - if you like fish try Mediterranean Surprise - sea bass cooked in a sauce with prawns.

Pashas on the road that runs parallel to the main street - Monday brunch - excellent value for money.

Antik - Turkish night, not sure what night this year, but you get lovely mezes, and a great bbq, then you are entertained by a very professional dance group - whirling dervishers etc. and again excellent value for money.

That is just to name a few, we are never disappointed!

As for things to do, if you go on the 5 bays boat trip, Musti's is the best. A bit smaller and more personal than some of the others and you will be accompanied by Simba, the golden retriever who joins in and enjoys every minute! You can book it in Tapas Mapas restaurant.

Hope you have a great holiday.
:) Cheers Alfie ... really looking forward to it now, definately have missed Turkey over the last few years, it will be good to go back + the TLira is quite good against the £ just now

Roll on July! :sun2
As Alfie says you really are spoilt for choice for restaurants in Turunc. We returned from Turunc on Monday and have to say there isn't anything bad to say about any of the restaurants. However, our favourites were Cardek right below ES apartments and also 'The Place' Restaurant at the Green Garden Apartments (at the back of village). If you are looking for a great value for money restaurant I would recommend Cinar and for a light lunch/dinner Yunus Restaurant (traditional pancake/gozlemer(?) restaurant) up the road from ES, past the big hotel My Meric, straight along the road as if heading out of the village and at the T junction it's on your right.

Boats trips are always a good day out, and in the past we have had fantastic trips to Pammukale/Ephesus which involve an overnight stay in hotel. There are two or three tour agencies in the village and although we have not used any of them recently we have heard good reports about all of them.

Have a great holiday

Kim
Hi Kim,

Thanks for the info...

We were thinking about the Pammukale/Ephesus trip
;) Do the trip! You won't be disappointed!
Do the trip with a local tour company and not the rep as they charge much much more.
Having just returned from Turunc - I have a few more recommendations.

For a simple Turkish meal, where you are taken in to choose from the kitchen, try the Arcade, which is in the road next to the bridge. This small restaurant supplies the local shopkeepers with food, so if you are looking for authentic, you will get it here!

Also the Can which has an entrance in the main street or from the beach, foods and wine both good here!

As mentioned before The Green Garden is also very nice, the menu is a bit different here, lovely surroundings and great atmosphere. It is only small so best to book.

It's also worth getting the water taxi into Marmaris to see the changes that have happened over the winter

As always the choice of eating places and things to do are plentiful!

Apartment rental in beautiful area of Turkey, perfect location for a wonderful holiday http://www.turunc-apartment.co.uk
Cheers Alfie... 2-weeks today and we're off! can't wait :sun2
On all previous visits to Turkey I brought a mixture of Sterling and Sterling travellers cheques, I always found that most small shops etc would give a good rate for the traveller cheques.

Are there similar places in Turunc that do the same?
You can get a boat taxi over to Icmeler and Marmaris as well for a few pounds if you fancy a change.

Also the Turunc market is lovely and on a Monday anddddddddddddddddddddd

please visit the Cat charity shop, they sell allsorts and all the money goes to the local street cats :)
We just take sterling and a small amount of Turkish Lira really just for a tip for the taxi and in case of emergencies on the journey from the airport. You can change sterling in loads of places, shops, bars, restaurants, travel agents its very easy. You can even use sterling for paying for many thingsi if you want to. Although I'm not sure what exchange rate you'd get if you paid for your meal in sterling!
We don't use travelers cheques anymore, so can't answer where you can change them in Turunc, there isn't a bank, but there are ATMs if you wanted to get cash on a debit/credit card. There are banks in Marmaris if you need one. If you have a safe in your accommodation it would be worth considering just bringing cash.

Apartment rental in beautiful area of Turkey, perfect location for a wonderful holiday http://www.turunc-apartment.co.uk
Hi alexnic - you can change travellers cheques at J M Travel on the main street in Turunc, we did this last year no problems at all and got same exchange rate as cash. They are also very good to book trips with. Hope this helps
Thanks guys,

I've already got my traveller's cheques, tend to bring an equal amount of both cheques and cash and as I said it was never an issue cashing them in Icmelere so good to know It will be the same in Turunc.

a week to go...... :)
Hi Alexnic,

We certainly agree with Alfie, but will just says a couple more things:-

It might be advisable to book the Bondjuk either the day before or in the morning if you want to eat about 7-8 in the evening., it is very popular and can get busy around that time.

We were in Turunc in May, and people were saying that the steaks at the Sen (by the Bondjuk) are really good if you are a Beef-eater.

Try the Istanbul Bar and Restaurant, they do a fixed priceTurkish menu in the evening with 16 choices - we went as a party of 14 and everyone enjoyed it. It is down the side of the Mosque to the left on the beach road.

Also try Elif's place next to Musti's on the corner of the main street. The food is very good, and you will probably recognise John - his daughter Elif and son Osman are a delight.

The Cinar is probably the best value in Turunc, especially for lunch., but do try the shepherds fried liver in the evening.

Have a wonderful time - we did! :D
You can get a boat taxi over to Icmeler and Marmaris as well for a few pounds if you fancy a change.

:rofl YES go by the water taxi - we did it by road taxi and O.H. nearly had to buy himself some new underpants by time we got to Icmeler :rofl VERY high and horrendous hairpin bends LOL!
We go in a couple of weeks for the first time. A couple of questions:-

Are credit cards widely accepted in restaurants?

Are there any vegetarian restaurants, or at least ones with a good veggie selection?

Thanks
Sorry we never use a credit card on holiday, but I'm pretty sure they would be accepted.

You have no need to worry if you are vegetarian. Most of the Meze (small dishes often eaten as starters) are veggie, and you can easily make a meal from them. You can also get pizza's and pide (Turkish pizza), also menemen which is an egg and vegetable dish, omelettes,pancakes and of course many different types of fish and seafood - if you eat it. Some restaurants also serve soup, and there are plenty of nice salads. You can also get pasta dishes in many restaurants, some of which are veggie.

For a small resort there are an abundance of restaurants in Turunc, you really are spoilt for choice!

Have a great holiday, would be interested in reading a review when you get back!
___________________________________________________________________________________

Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.