Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
UK to Munich
3 Posts
I live not far from Munich and travel on a pretty regular basis to the Uk and would love for some more budget airlines to fly here. For a couple of years around 2001 BMI Baby flew into EMA which suited me as my family live in Nottingham, but that didn't last long. Luckily I can get to Stuttgart easily so I have a bit of a choice, also Ryanair fly out of Friedrichshafen which is south of where I live. Years ago there were many budget flights out of Munich with lots of now defunct airlines but they gradually bit the dust and now there isn't much choice. Munich is a great destination with lots to see and do, well worth a weekend visit ( or more given it's close proximity to the alps) but the budget airlines don't seem to be bothered, don't know the reason.
I seem to recall quite a while back that the Authorities of Munich were not particularly keen in encouraging low cost carriers to operate from Munich - mostly because at that time they were developing the airport and were more determined to ensure that it had increased routes, availability of slots and would almost bend over backwards to make it a major hub for national carrier Lufthansa. There does now seem to be an increase on low cost carriers - I suspect the new terminal 2 has helped to keep Lufthansa happy, and new routes with low cost operators may be introduced. I also understand that British Midland will compete out of Edinburgh with Easy Jet down to the Bavarian capital next year - although they have in the past cancelled this flight/route before it even started last year. The takeover of DBA by Air Berlin will allow Air Berlin to have major slots at Munich, so it may be interesting to see how new flights may be introduced in the next few months.

Nivsy

Nivsy
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.