Holiday Complaints

Do you have a holiday complaint? For help and advice post in here.
Hi and welcome to HT!

Normally travel insurance pays out when flights are cancelled due to illness. Did your FIL have travel insurance and which country was he coming from?

luci :wave
Hi there,

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately we did not have insurance in this case as there's no adequate insurance cover in the country where my in-laws are travelling from (Albania).

I believe however that people should not always rely on insurance and falling back the company's own terms and conditions is a legitimate option.
Namiku, I see that you have two pages of answers om MSE..............

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3698315
Sorry I don't know how to do a linky thingy.
Personally, I think you are on a hiding to nothing with the airline....

I'm almost certain they will tell you to direct a medical claim via your insurance company, of which it seems - there is none. Had your parents been taken ill when they reached their holiday destination, what would your recourse have been then?

Sadly, medical insurance should be the one form of paperwork that we all take with us. Forget the baggage cover, lost holiday money or travel delay stuff, it's the medical and worse case scenario the repatriation it covers that is the "must have" item.

I think the best offer you can expect from BA will be a refund of taxes paid on the unused portion of the ticket.

As the saying goes "c'est la vie".

Shell
Limassol, Cyprus
Having done little reading up on the subject I agree there is a lack of insurance cover available in Albania. A matter that their government is anxious to change. I do however wonder how their nationals go on when traveling around the world. I would have thought that an insurance broker in the UK would have been able to arrange cover.

It really is a case of good will on behalf of BA.

fwh

It really is a case of good will on behalf of BA.
fwh

Well, it is the right season after all - so let's see if they do!

It's a poor situation though when you cannot rely on your own country to provide an insurance and then stand by it when it's necessary to make a claim. :(

What does everyone do in Albania, or do they just not travel anywhere - just in case.... That's terrible.

Shell
Limassol, Cyprus
Just to update everyone.

In the middle of April I received a travel voucher from British Airways for te full amount of the ticket paid to them valid for 12 months, as well as a refund of all taxes and surcharges to the card they were paid with. No administration fees were charged.

There was also a letter of apology about how the initial customer service rep handled the situation.

Thanks to everyone for their contributions.
Thanks for the update namiku and delighted that you got a satisfactory result in the end.
Excellent on your results and thanks for coming back to update date.

I hope you stay around the forum and join in.
Hey, that's great news!

So well done to BA. Maybe it was the season to be jolly after all.....

Again, thanks for taking the time to update us as many don't. It's always good to hear the outcome and it's responses like this that give others the encouragement to pursue their own individual cases.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.