Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
I quite agree, manners cost nothing & being in a job that involves working with the public as closely as airport security is, to behave in the manner that you have described is inexcusable.
I travel regularly to the US, and the difference in security procedures between airports is very frustrating, i.e., at LAX, security have no problems walking through with your shoes on whereas at SFO, security insist on taking your shoes off.

Returning from Chicago last year via New York, security at Chicago had no problem with my cigarette lighter in my hand luggage, on returning through security at New York after having a cigarette, security insisted on confiscating my lighter.

Most of these security employees work for companies that are sub-contracted to the airport.

Finally, I think these security employees are on a power crazy mission, to try and justify their $5:00 per hour., sorry to ramble on, but these people make me so :evil: :evil:

Driver02 :wink:
Have to agree we went to NY and LV last Oct. At Newark to Vegas we were special searched, Vegas to Newark again we were special searched.

They were extremly rude at both airports and are more interested in talking to their colleagues than actually searching. The queues in McCarran were unbelievable for the special searches, the lady there was more interested where I bought my Clinique products !

Why select just a few...if they are so worried about this they should search everyone so the selected few don't feel like criminals.
Or they could do it with a little more courtesy. Manners don't cost anything.
i was asked a really stupid question when i too was selected for an extra check. this was at jfk coming back to britain.
the woman security officer had me standing on a mat which had 2 pictures of feet on. i had to take my shoes and socks of, she then proceded to go all over my body with a baton like thing.
i bleeped around my bra area so i said that will be the wire in my bra.
i bleeped again at my bellybutton area, so i said that is my bellybutton ring, i then had to undo my trousers to show her.
when she was going down my legs my left leg bleeped, i told her that i have a 6inch plate and seven pins in my leg/ankle she then asked me
CAN YOU TAKE IT OUT.
my answer was if you have got a scalpel and a screw driver i would have a go if that was what she wanted.
ali
some aiport secuirty staff do get a buzz from these checks, though when flying out of boston my dad realised that he had a penknife in his pocket, they said thats fine and let him carry it through with him on board the aircraft, i was allowed lighters too i was shocked at this.. at lax i have been through interview and searches.. it doesn;t take much to be polite i agree, though they are only doing their job and to be fair i wish many other contries and airports shared their same thought plan on this security checking..
The reality of this situation is that it actually does very little for security but a lot for show(spent over 30years in that game) and in truth much of america is now paranoid about people attacking them and that in a nutshell is the problem.Chicago is I think the exception where they have hired retired police officers on security who know how to talk to people but more importantly know what and whom to look for,and from what I`ve heard it works.
The `extra screening`bit is completely random which therefore renders it pretty much useless.The people they hire to do it are not high quality employees and the principle of `Monkey do what monkey see`is what happens.

I agree with the original poster,give America a very wide berth until they get themselves sorted out
Interesting set of replies. At least I am not the only one who things that US Security lack a certain something. I see that no one has commented on the issue of "unlocked baggage". Policy seems to be that plastic clips are to be put on in the event thats ecurity want to open your bag. Have the airlines made this clear yet to all passengers going to the States? I think the whole check in procedure should be reviewed. Once you have your bag weighed, you have to take it to the screening area and leave it - then procedd through the security procedures as described and experienced by others above. Makes the whole landside experience some what daunting.....anyway happy travelling!

Nivsy
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.