Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
Pass through immigration, collect bags, customs, drop off bags and, finally, security.
Cheers... I was hoping they didn't treat you as passing landside and therefore no 2nd security screening... might have given us a bit of time to relax after after an 11hr flight and before boarding for another 6hrs out to HNL.
We've done this a few times and always ended up landside after dropping the bags on the belt after immigration and Customs. We then went upstairs and through security. No big problem.

There are often huge queues for security, but they move quickly.

luci :wave
Ta...I'm expecting a fair queue, hence the hopeful wish that we might skip a step somehow. It's frustrating as the flight is sold as LHR-HNL on one flight number, with 1 stop and equipment change at LAX, I accept that immigration & customs needs to be done at first point of arrival but shame they can't do it all airside so you have to faff around through security again
Believe me, that is nothing to the faffing around you have to do if you land at LHR with an onward connection. Transiting in the US is a breeze compared to the nightmare that is LHR.

Subject: US immigration at LAX

luci HT Mod wrote:
Believe me, that is nothing to the faffing around you have to do if you land at LHR with an onward connection. Transiting in the US is a breeze compared to the nightmare that is LHR.

You've never/not recently been through Miami then?
Heathrow is a breeze especially with IRIS/E boarder passport. Not taken me more than 15mins in the last 3yrs to get through LHR opposed to 2 hours just to clear immigration in Miami during April(twice!)
Yes I have been through Miami and can't remember it being a problem, apart from a very lllooooonnng walk from one concourse to the next.

Yes we are registered with IRIS, but that's no use if you are transiting and catching a connection at LHR. It only works if LHR is your final destination. We did use it once to go landside and it was a breeze. Going through that God forsaken security queue at T5 when connecting is a nightmare.

In fact it was quicker to use IRIS, go landside, have something to eat and go back through security from landside to airside than it was to transfer.

Hi, what does IRIS mean? This questions interests me ,I am thinking of booking a coach tour with Archer direct, it's a Californian tour, sounds fab. BUT, I can fly with Continental to Newark, then from Newark to San Fransisco, what would the procedure be?
Could I pass immigration and then check in for the second leg of the trip, hoping bags would be transfered on (hoping) as I will be all on my own :(

Or I could take it easy and do a tour of the Eastern side and just go direct to New York/Newark!

Looking at Newark Airport's website they only have 3 terminals, seems more managable than JFK.

Or I could get a flight down to LHR and go to San Fransisco, advise please!
littlemissgreedy wrote:
what does IRIS mean?

Iris Recognition. it's a security device that uses unique patterns of the iris as identification. Some airports have this technology that can speed up flows through airports.

Darren
For a fuller description of the IRIS system as installed at British airports, see.....

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/travellingtotheuk/Enteringtheuk/usingiris/

Cheers,
Ralph
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.