Caribbean Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Caribbean
Thanks for your reply. Well I value my health yeah :P but I really do hate injections :( Also thanks for mentioning that our insurance may not cover me if I don't have the correct vaccinations! Wouldn't of even thought of that!
You need to check with your GP practice and take their advice on what you need to protect yourself against in relation to your destination. I don't particularly like having to take injections either but I know that I'd hate catching Polio or Diptheria or Typhus even more. Diseases that we rarely see in the UK now haven't been eradicated - it's just that our immunisation practices have reduced the pool of infection to such an extent that contagion is rare and so even people who haven't been immunised are unlikely to come into contact with people who are carriers or infected. But the moment you are in an environment where that pool of infection is still large then your chances of catching something greatly increase.

Measles infections in children have increased in this country ever since the Triple vaccine scare because the level of immunity amongst the general population fell. For most kids Measles is something they shrug off and recover from, but for a minority it is still a killer. Group immunity doesn't need to fall by very much for it to have an impact on overall infection levels. More worrying is that babies who are born deaf and/or blind as a result of Rubella (German Measles) during the pregnancy became extremely rare after the vaccine to prevent it was discovered but the numbers of such babies has increased in recent years, not dramatically, but enough to make public health scientists worry that this is another possible consequence of parents avoiding getting their children vaccinated against it. Lower levels of kids being immunised against it means that more are likely to catch it and more pregnant women are likely to come into contact with infected kids.

So please, don't run the risk with your own health but just as importantly, done't run the risk with the health of others. If your GP recommends that you need certain vaccinations or boosters - please don't ignore that advice.

SM
Please could you tell me what vaccinations are required for Mexico? My husband is allergic to mossie bites, but we did take a can of 'off' from Egypt and brought it back, he takes antihistamines as well. We are staying at the RIU Yucatan and its surrounding jungly features so they are bound to be mossys as it is right by the sea.

We are going February 9th for our 25th wedding anniversary, so how many weeks should we have these done before travelling, thank you guys :)

Michelle :cheers
Derwentrocker,

I stayed close to the RIU Yucatan and didn't think there were that many mossies around. There were some, but nothing major. Vaccination recommendations are on the NaTHNaC's website. You don't need anything special, just the usual recommendations for travel.

Darren
Sorry to tell you that when we sere staying at the Tequila a few years ago, we had a meal in the outside restaurant at the Yucatan and there were lots of mossies there. We all came away with bites, you could see them hovering under the tables. Not sure if it's still the same now but best to be prepared. I thought I was immune to mossie bites until that evening as I'd never had one before.
Thanks both of you. Visitors that have come back said in jan/feb not many, but now its May they have oogles. We go in Feb, outsides one thing, but hate them in the hotel room :(
Hi Michelle we were there in August so you may be fine in February. Have a great time, it's a lovely place :cheers
Hi Shirley, thanks :) were you in mexico or the hotel i am booked in?
We stayed at the Tequila which you can also use Michelle. we had a couple of meals at the Yucatan and spent time at the beach and pool there. However, I'm talking about 4 or 5 years ago now.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.