Caribbean Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Caribbean
Hi Donna,

I have answered this question a couple of times in other topics and my understanding is that when I travelled to Dom Rep my doc advised that I take malaraia tablets which are purchased over the counter. I got mine from Boots and they were only cheap, less than £7 for a course for both me and my boyfriend. Be aware you start taking them about a week before you go and then continue after you get home. Some people say they have suffered side effects with malaria tablets and therefore don't bother with them however I had no side effects whatsoever. Also malaria infection is on the increase so it would probably be advisable to take some kind of precaution.

Let me know if you require anything further re this subject or Dom Rep.

SAM
Malaria occurs in over 100 countries and more than 40% of the people in the world are at risk. Large areas of Central and South America, Hispaniola (Haiti and the Dominican Republic), Africa, the Middle East, the Indian subcontinent, Southeast Asia, and Oceania are considered malaria-risk areas. Not worth risking I would say.
owever, that said, Hubby and I look Larium and he had no effects, but I had some terrible dreams and dizziness for a week or so. They are good though in the respect that you only take one tablet a week, one week before whilst on holiday and i think four or five weeks on returning.

I would check again with your doctor to be on the safe side
Heather
There is a recent article on malaria which was in the Guardian Here
i went last year and although Dominican is not a high risk area I still got some tablets from boots to be on the safe side. I think they cost about £2.00 a box and they were buy 2 get one free so a real bargain. I think the best thing to do is if you are in doubt get some because they arent going to do you any harm anyway. I think it mainly depends on the kind of activites you are going to be doing and things. i did stuff like swimming in a stream and scuba diving and dont think i would have felt so confident doing all this without the tablets cus its not just the mossies you have to watch is it (Just to let you know tho I didnt get bitten once over there and Im the kind of person who gets bitten all the time)
It is worth checking with your GP or the nurse at your practice as different anti-malarial tablets are required for different destinations. This is because the mosquitoes become resistant if the same one is used all the time.

We got different types on two visits to Kenya.
Thanks for all your answers and advice everyone....I went to my local chemist and they gave me some malaria tablets that we only have to take once a week which seemed a good option with the kids.
I always used to take them for DR but since being diagnosed with an auto-immune disease the Doc says I can't and that I must not travel into mangrove swamps or rain forest or areas with large amounts of water (the seas OK) . so it rather kills the trips :cry: I have been surprised at how many people don't take them when chatting to other holiday makers.

Lynn
We are travelling to the dominican republic in september with our two children aged 5 & 10 and i am looking for some advice on which injections our children will have to have.Is it the same as adults hep-A,tetanus and polio,already made appointment at doctors but receptionist not much help, just wondering so i can prepare the kids before we go :)
thanks
Hi,

Just had the kids done (travelling to Dom Rep on Monday!!)

If they are up to date with their school jabs, they will only need hep a.

Malaria you should buy over the counter.

As a matter of interest, I found it financially beneficial to shop around. A lot of surgeries have 'travel clinics', that can be cheaper and you don't have to be registered with them.

Stuart
My wife works as a doctor's receptionist and at there and many other surgeries, they insist on injections being given at least 6 weeks before travelling otherwise the protection they provide is greatly reduced.

They don't normally give tetanus now.

:evil: How do you expect the receptionist to help, they are not trained doctors or nurses and as such could get into big trouble for giving advice :evil:
Funny that. Most Doctors receptionists wont even let you get an appointment without explaining EXACTLY what is wrong with you first. If they are not Doctors and not being nosey, why do they want to know everything? Please dont say it is to prioritise because i am not buying that.

Sheer nosiness is what it is! :wink:
Your wife excluded from the above of course :)
I asked her that same question, the answer I got was so that they could schedule how long the appointment should be, 10 or 15 minutes :wink:

G
My husband is so scared of the "gestapo" on our doctors reception that always pretends that he has a sore throat and cant speak and makes me call them... although i now have the measure of them.. every time that they ask what is wrong i tell them that that is precisely why i need i doctor " to tell me!".
:lol:
Thankyou for the advice re: jabs for children, didnt mean to cause a debate on doctors receptionist but i do think she could of told me what age children could recieve them or at least put me on hold why she asked the advice of a doctor or at least asked me to ring back later to find out, anyway they are up to date with innoculations so hopefully they will only need the hep-A.Can children take Malaria tablets?
thanxs Lakey
Both times I went to the Dominican I was told there was NO malaria there so didnt bother with any tablets .I was a bit worried as friends had been told otherwise but on arrival our rep who was a local said no malaria just dengue fever carrying mossies in the mountainous areas.
Hi,

I would like to book Dom Rep as a surprise christmas present.
I am thinking of travelling in mid february, does this leave enough time for innoculations? Which ones would we need? Also when is the soonest I could have mine done?

Thanks
Hi lppwrth

You will find advice on inoculations at Health Advice for Travellers - Inoculations

I think most need to be done 4-6 weeks before travel, but the nurse at your local surgery will be able to advise you.

HTH

luci :wave
My doctor advised and I did have Hep A, Tetanus, Typhoid and Polio along with Malaria tablets and you should have them done at least 6 weeks prior to departure. Some of the jabs last 5 - 10 years and if you have an Hep A booster jab 6 months after the first it will last for years as well.

You could therefore have yours done now if you wish!
Hi

We're going at the end of the month and our nurse said we needed: tetanus, Hep A, Typhoid and Polio. No mention of Maleria - I think depends which region you're going to, I seem to remember reading that Maleria is needed for some of the regions in the South near the Haiti border.

Hope this helps!

Kza
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.