Caribbean Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Caribbean
Thanks scubaman, have gone out and bought some. Must be in demand as there were none in my home town, so my husband had to pick some up in London, where he was working! Have taken the first 2 today, and boy they taste disgusting! Better to be safe than sorry though, I must admit, they are cheap and (usually) easy to get hold of. I thought I might need doctors prescription etc. Thanks again
Rachael
My pleasure.

Just remember to keep taking them whilst you are away and after you get back. It is VITAL that you complete the course.

Enjoy your trip

Scubaman
I've jusy been to my surgery for pre Dom Rep imunisations, and surprise surprise - Malaria is not required - which I'm glad. All they did say is that get mossie spray with "deet".

Hope this helps.

Andy
Hi to all have had all immunisations for dom rep but malaria tablets have to be taken my doctor said yesterday. Bought Avloclor which chemist advised after asking what part of dom rep we were going. Evidently different tablets for north to other parts. Hope this helps.
Hi

Here is a paste of the reported outbreaks in Dom Rep in recent months :

07/12/04 Malaria (update)- Twelve cases of malaria have now been reported in travellers to the Punta Cana and surrounding areas in Dominican Republic; 7 reported from Europe and 5 from North America.

24/11/04 Malaria cases reported from tourist area on east coast - In the past few weeks at least five cases of falciparum malaria have been reported in German and US tourists returning from the Punta Cana area, on the east coast of Dominican Republic. This is a tourist area not normally associated with high levels of malaria transmission and reasons for this increase are not yet clear.
Advice for Travellers - Travellers should be advised to take malaria precautions including antimalarial tablets, even for the tourist areas of Dominican Republic at this time.

They have happened and can happen again.

This link gives the recommendations for medication in Dom Rep and other destinations :

http://www.traveldoctor.co.uk/namerica.htm#2nd

and has full details of what tablets should be taken.

If you compare the cost of malaria tablets with the cost of your holiday it is totally insignificant ( about £4-5 for Chloroquine or around £12 for Proguanil ) - when there is a malaria risk why take a chance ?

Be safe - Be healthy

Scubaman
I agree Scubaman, the tablets were so cheap £2.99 for the course. I did have trouble getting some as they are in demand, so I wold advise to shop early. Do you know how long it might take to get any side affects? I took mine on Thursday and today my vision is a bit blurred but I have been on the internet all week looking for a holiday??
Hi scubaman, i totally agree with you, why take the risk? My tablets Avloclor for a pack of 20 tablets, enough to cover what is prescribed cost £2.15 which is nothing compared to what you would pay if you did catch malaria. May cause nausia but well woth taking i think.
Hi Rachie-m

Visual disturbances are a known side effect of Choroquine ( which is what your Avlochlor tablets are ). If they give you cause for concern it might be sensible to see you GP for advice. There is always the Proguanil alternative available which may suit you better.

Scubaman
Due to go to Cuba on 23rd May, and unfortunately could only get appointment for jags on the 3rd May. (Hep A, Typhoid, Tetnus, Dip)

Thats only a couple of weeks before I go. Will they be effective or am I too late?
Thanks
:) Hi jill.Ive recently had my jabs as were going to cuba 1st july 05 cos we were told we had to have them a while before we go however the nurse administering them told me that as long as you finish the course of jabs two weeks before you go you'll be fine.Be warned though that the injections do ot guarantee you from getting any of the infections.
Hope this info helps and if you could post anything on your return we'd be greatful as it will be our first time in cuba.(Were staying in guardelavacca)
Cheers :!: Have a good holiday :!: :)
Hi there,

The last poster is right, I am a practice nurse giving jabs daily. Hep A and typhoid take two weeks to build up antibodies. We give to peolpe even last min but recommend a month before departure. Please dont forget to take food and water precautions as they aren't 100% effective. If you plan to travel again get the Hep A booster in 6-12 months as this will cover you for over 10yrs whereas the single jab lasts 2 yrs max. Cuba is not malarious but mossies will be there so use insect repellent containing DEET. A good website for info re jabs/ health is 'fitfortravel', if you type in that a search engine will find it for you.

Have a great holiday!!
Thank you both for your help.

I will let you know how I get on.
Hi sorry for butting in but I am going to Cuba in just over a week and i'm sure that I read that you do not require any vacinations to go to Cuba any advice please!

Em :D
The vaccinations are only recommended.
Hi

I am also going to Cuba in June,i have made the decision not to have any!!

Daveyboy

8)
Hi All.
Been back two weeks sadly. Of course the choice is an individual one but we did not have jabs and that included the children 18 months, 4 and 14. I would say that unless you are going to the forests that Cuba is very clean and safe. Just apply the same caution ie check that the bottles of water you get are sealed, watch what you eat ie fish, sometimes the food is left under the lights for up to 2 hours. We never had any problems, oh aprt from me I had a bit of a stomach upset but I think it was all that rum!!! :P :glynis Kaz
hi just switched hols and going to dominian on the 23rd can anyone please advise us as to what injections are req if any cheers dave
Dave,

Were of to the DR in June and we have had Hepatitis A and Typhoid injections, You will also need to take anti Malaria tablets.

If you ring your local doctors practice they will advise you on what you need.

There are different types of anti Malaria tablets available so ask for advise at you practice or at the chemists.

All the best
gc
23rd of what, May? I also had Hep A and Typhoid along with Polio, as recommended by my doctor however I had to have these injections at least 6 weeks prior to departure. I suggest you give your surgery a ring and maybe speak to the doctor.

I also took malaria tablets which I purchased from Boots. If you check through other threads you will see there has been plenty of discussion with regards to whether or not you will need malaria tablets. I am of the opinion it is better to be safe than sorry!

Where are you staying?
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.