Caribbean Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Caribbean
Went to my docs on Friday last week for my Cuba jabs. Only gave me Hep A jab. Nurse said she only recommends the typhoid one for stays of over 2 weeks. I didn't need my other boosters as had received my full course when I left school.

Has asked me to come back in 6 months for a Hep A booster to give me cover for 10 years.
we had hep A typhoid and tetanus. Better safe than sorry :D

*Edit to remove unauthorised signature*
We had HepA, typhoid and tetanus last October when we went. As somebody else has mentioned the jabs are only recommended and not compulsory, maybe different health clinics have different ideas about what are necessary?
Ellie
Can anyone please give me advice on the best anti malaria pills for the Dom Rep.

I know there are a couple of different ones and don't want them to spoil our hols?
Hi

currently the recommended anti malarial for the DR is Chloroquine (also sold/supplied branded as Aralen).

Whilst many have found no real problem with taking this drug, as we say on our malaria information pages on our DR information website: (quote) 'Many people find they have no problem taking this drug at all, but others may suffer from variety of side effects, typically: "nausea and vomiting, headache, dizziness, blurred vision and itching". Chloroquine can also exacerbate psoriatic problems.'

It is important that the whole course of any drugs you take is completed, it is through abuse of drugs (like non completion of course of drugs) that has led to the malaria mosquitoes becoming 'immune' to chloroquine in other parts of the worlds (e.g. Africa) where it cannot be safely used any longer.

Remember that the DR had a rare occurence of Malaria last year ONLY because a febrile (infectious) person came into a previously 'safe' area.

Since then precautions have taken, and the situation monitored and the real risk of malaria in the DR in the main tourist areas and vast majority of the country is very small (due to eradication of mosquitoes by spraying regimes in resorts areas, and monitoring and identification/treatment/isolation of the rare cases that have occurred)

The greater risk areas (such as near the border with Haiti) are unlikely to be a port-of-call for most visitors to the DR - it is of course still better to be safe than sorry with respect to exposure to the remote possibility of getting malaria and we would still advise talking to your GP about this.

We include much more current info and advice about malaria on our site linked from the 'Information Center' page.

Kind regards

bizzy
  • Edited by Bizzy 2005-06-26 11:03:03
We went to the DR in April of this year and my husband took Chloroquine and I took Proguanil (I had to due to a skin complaint). We were also really worried about the effects, but neither of us had any adverse effects and had a great holiday. Hope you have a great time!

Sunaholic.
Check out the information on this site which gives the alternatives, what you shouldn't take with certain conditions, child dose rates etc etc

http://www.traveldoctor.co.uk/namerica.htm

The site is written and maintained by Doctors

Scubaman
Hi ya can anybody who has been out to the Dominican Republic recently
give me any advise on the situation at the moment?

I understand there is a big outbreak and am due to fly in two weeks!
I am going to Superclub Breezes and i am also interested in doing the safari.

Is it safe to do the safari as i know it includes going through villages.
I am really looking forward to it.

I am Taking my Malaria pills at the the moment i just wanted to make sure i will be ok as i dont want to get sick for my wedding :yuck
I gather from the info on the net that there was malaria in the Punta Cana region, but they advise that visitors to all areas take the tablets anyway.
Yeah thats where im going :sulk
When we went in April, very few American's and Canadians had bothered. We took the tablets and my youngest was very ill with them and won't be able to use them next time (although there are various types)and my hubby and I both had upset tummys for a couple of days after each dose. The Canadian health website has now rescinded, but it's still best to check with your practice nurse.
Hi

Further to another recent reply we gave we would just add that we have included several pages of free info about malaria on our web site, via the 'information center' link on the main navigation bar.

Malaria is too dangerous a disease to risk becoming infected so we would always tend to go with the idea that you must check with your GP/MD to get the latest and best advice, whenever and wherever you go that there might be a malaria risk.

However the risk of contracting malaria in the DR is extremely low, particularly if you are in the main tourist resorts. Last year, in Punta Cana area, a 'febrile' (infectious) individual, believed to have been an immigrant building worker from Haiti was traced as the source of the 'outbreak' that occurred and it would seem that this problem has been effectively contained and overcome.

Those areas that where the risk of there being anopheles mosquito tend to be near the border with Haiti (where malaria is sadly a much bigger problem). There is also a potential risk in some inland areas where the mosquito count is higher, and naturally there is not the same 'insecticidal spraying regime' as employed by the major hotel resort operators.

It is important to get things in perspective and realize that for the large majority of visitors the malaria risk in the DR is very low indeed. Both Ruth and Esther who run the site (native Dominicans) were never even really aware of malaria being an issue in the DR throughout their childhood.

Sadly it takes only one infectious person to spark an outbreak, as mosquitoes can ONLY pass it on if they feed from a person with the malarial parasite in their bloodstream.

It is vital that you do follow advice of your doctor though. It is the fact that in the past people have failed to complete courses of anti-malarial treatment, and/or treatments regimes have been over-used and abused that there are now forms of malaria in the African continent (and elsewhere, but NOT the DR) that have become resistant to medication like chloroquine, and new meds have had to be developed.

Hope you have a good and healthy trip. If you are planning on an inland safari, and visiting areas where there is abundant forest and water then you would be advised to ensure that you complete your meds 'just in case', even though risk is very low indeed. Take a look at our 'info center' and further malaria information pages if tyou have time.

bizzy
Thank you for your very imformative reply Bizzy :D

Im a little apprehensive about taking the pills but i know i have to so i can stay safe i dont fancy becomming diseased :tut
I suggest you check out the advice on :

http://www.traveldoctor.co.uk/namerica.htm

which has lots of informtion about which tabs and jabs you need, the alternatives appropriate to your destination, child doses, conditions the various malaria tablets are compatable with etc etc

The is also a good page on Malaria itself.

The safari should be no more problem than your resort as you are out during the day, just be wary if you are in the shade e.g. at lunchtime. Out in the open and in the hot sunshine the risk is pretty minimal.

Enjoy and be safe

Scubaman
We took a chloroquine tablet marketed as Avloclor.

One tablet a week. First tab the week before you go, take them once a week while you're away, and continue for a month after returning.

I did get the side effects of nausea and stomach cramps for a day after taking them, but having been bitten several times while on hols I was glad I had taken them, just to be on the safe side!
Just to clarify Del's post :

The dose for Chloroquine is 300mg once a week - they are 150mg tablets so you need to take 2 tablets once a week for 1 week before, whilst you are away and for 4 weeks afterwards.

I'm sure thats what you meant Del.

Scubaman
:oops: Meant to say one dose a week :oops: :lol:
But actually looking at the box ours were 250mg so we have been taking 500mg a week (less for the kiddies) :shock:

Maybe that 250mg is not all chloroquine, it might take into consideration other things that make up the tablet :?
  • Edited by Del 2005-06-29 09:33:48
I think they have got to be the worst tasting tablet ever. Getting my kids to take them was a nightmare. Does it come in liquid form?
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.