General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
Queuing to climb the Great Wall in China, a lady came up and said, "Are you Jenny from Nottingham? I was told to look out for you by my neighbour" The neighbour in question was a close friend who knew that I was going to China and had shown her a photograph and told her to look out for me. Amazing if you had seen all the tourists in that area.
In the Kota Kinabolu Hotel in Borneo I was greeted by a past patient of mine - "What on earth are you doing here?"
In Greece, found that I was in the same hotel as my Team Leader at work. (And never felt quite the same about him after seeing him in flower patterned shorts :shock: ) Jenny x
Just returned from Benidorm and bumped into a lady I talk to in the school yard.
Also went to Dom REp a few years ago and my hubbies old next door neighbour from his childhood was in the same hotel.
In Tunisia 3 years ago, husband very ill in clinic, I needed to contact hotel in UK re car parked there, very kind couple going home next day offered to get in touch with hotel for me and explain circumstances. They obviously did because hotel waived all excess charges.

The following year my husband(now fully recovered) and I were in Bulgaria and up comes this same couple asking how he was. We were absolutely delighted to thank them in person for their help.

Patka
Our first holiday abroad was an all inclusive in Calas De Mallorca where we met an older chap on his own having a week away from his wife. During the week, he saved a young girl from drowning in the pool and became something of a local hero. He was sooo funny and we spent the whole holiday laughing. We had an amazing time. The following year, we went to Arenal - and another all inclusive hotel. You could have knocked me down with a feather when I heard a booming voice call our names from across the other side of the bar. It was him again. I cant believe that he even recognised us, let alone remembered our names.
:)
this happens to us,all the time!
we were in gran canaria once & we attended a reps evening,where they do a show,we were on the dance floor & i got tapped on the shoulder,it was someone from home.then we were in goa & we went,to the market at anjuna,turned round,to see where hubby was & he was gabbing away,to a fella he used to work with.next we were in pattaya,in thailand,this fella sits,on the table next to us,in a bar & my sister,asks him where he's from,LLANDUDNO,i could not believe it!!!.,i see him all the time now,in the pub i manage.then the last time,we were in kuala lumpa airport,in the mcdonalds & this girl,kept staring at me & was making me feel really uncomfortable,anyway i had to pass her table,on the way out & she stops me & asks, if i run a pub,in llandudno,she's in here every saturday night!!!
they say,the world is a small place & i truly believe it :)
tracy
Also remember going to Benidorm ( again) when my son was 18month old, sitting on the beach everyday, and an elderly spanish couple sitting nearby took a shine to the bairn. We went the following year year and guess who we saw on the beach, even though we were in a different spot further down, yes the same old spanish couple and they remembered us all. :lol:
happens to me too! first year we went away a family living 4 doors down the street from us were flying from the same airport as us, to the same place as us, got on the same transfer coach as us, got off at the same apartments and ended up in the apartment next to ours!!

then in 2005 we parked our car in the carpark and got on the coach to the airport and there was a couple from our town on it! when we got off the plane in Malaga and onto the transfer coach they were on that too! and on the same flight home 2 weeks later! not in the same hotel though!
Remember walking round the Marina at Vilamoura, straight into another two families whose children were in my Daughters class at school and she was friendly with. Don't know who was the more suprised. :shock:

It was very fluky as although they were staying in Vilamoura, we were staying miles away in Praia de Luz and just on a one-off visit that evening.
I remember sitting on the edge of the swimming pool at a hotel in Blanes , when i heard somebody call my name , i was looking around , and heard " is it really you " it was a person who i used to work with and i was bridesmaid for 18 yrs earlier, her and the family were staying in apartments next to the hotel i was in .

small world
We were on the Algarve last week and walked into a bar we frequence regularly on our visits and met a couple from Glasgow, she asked where we were from, I said Bolton but now live in Manchester and then she said I have an aunty who was a GP in your area then she mentioned her name and low and behold it was my old GP from many years ago. I thought small world, and found out the doctor is now in her 80's and still lives in the same house she used as her surgery. Cheers Jayjan
Last May in Turkey my husband met a friend he served in the army with 40 years ago.He recognised his voice!.
MY husband and I went to the D/REP for our 25 th wedding anniversary :love and while we were there we went on a boat trip there were about 20 people on the boat ...
a few years later we went to Fuertventura and we were sitting in the hotel show time one night and a man taped me on the shoulder and said excuse me but have we met and I said no and walked away :oops: :oops: ...at the end of the night he came over to me again and said I dont know you but I remember your voice ....we got talking to him and his wife and it turns out they were in the D/REP for their wedding anniversary at the same time as hubby and I ...and their wedding anniversary was the same day as ours ....when we got home I put on a video we had taken on the boat trip that few years ago and there they were on the tape .....

The mans name was tony and his wife was liz ..im almost sure ....his dad was a coal man and I think tony was a milkman ........so if by anychance tony or liz???remember us we are from N/I and come on H/TS it would be so nice to hear from you ...colleen.... :oops: :oops: ::SORRY jay but when you said about someone recognised your hubbys voice it brought it all back to me ......BTW.....9TH NOV is the wedding anniversary
On a visit to Benidorm 30yrs ago we stayed overnight in Alicante before flying home, I went to a ATM for some cash and heard some one call me ,it was my hairdresser from Skegness waiting to use the machine, they were on their way to Almeria in their camper van, Again the christmas before last sitting on the front at Benidorm I heard the same voices now retired. :roll:

Dave :lol:
A few years ago in Cyprus we I was lounging on a bed while my hubby went for a swim in the pool, he came back and said "you'll never believe it but Lesley and Dean are over there". Turned out two people we used to go to school with (now married and with kids) were staying in our hotel.

On our first holiday together in Bulgaria I'd nipped away and left my hubby at the bar and he got talking to two 'older' couples and talk got to where are you from etc. He mentioned we lived in Ferryhill and it turned out they lived in Spennymoor which is only a fee miles away. One of them said they used to know "Albert Waldock from Ferryhill who married that girl Vera". Well, Albert and Vera were hubby's grandparents!! Very small world!

And not quite the same but many years ago in Lesvos whilst waiting for the airport coach to leave to take us to our hotel I got on the bus and began talking to a girl who's hubby was sorting the cases. Meanwhile my hubby was outside waiting as he hates being stuck on a bus and so he got talking to a bloke. Turned out we were talking to each others spouses and staying at the same place. We are still friends today!
Years ago, I was sunbathing topless on a beach in Menorca when I heard a man's voice talking to me.

I opened my eyes to see a man who worked in the office above mine! I was mortified :oops: He seemed to be talking to me for ages!!!!
We saw my husbands cousin and his wife at Manchester airport, not seen them for 20 years. They were going to Malta same as us, were sat behind us on the plane......and also staying at the same hotel, lol. Have not lost touch since, by the way. Another time in Majorca we saw our next door but one neighbours. Latest one was in Dubai airport we bumped into my best friends sister and hubby, we were on our way home from Australia and they were on the way out there. Yes it's a very small world indeed. Linda x
Our best was last year,

We were staying in a hotel in Tunisia [enough said about that one the better-middle of nowhere!!!!] met people from 2 roads away and on top of that another couple of students that lived just up the road---and a couple that we're buying a house, literally 5mins from us!!!!!!!!

Might add we made up all the english in the hotel!!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol:

Having said that still had a good hol!
Met the same couple three years on the trot at Gatwick airport, travelling on the same plane as us but only stayed at the same hotel once.

Met a couple in the DR who we had previously met in Barbados and a young girl who stayed at the same hotel as us in December again the following May, she was with a different man this time though :shock:

The one that takes the biscuit is going down for dinner in Lake Garda last year, a voice asks "what are you doing here?" and sitting there is a lady that used to work in Index before it closed down and now works at our local hospital. :lol:
someone I went to school with was on my return flight to Larnanca and whist waiting for my flight home I bumped in an old boss!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.