Far East

Discussions regarding holidays in the Far East.
It would depend on where you are hoping to visit, I am off to Vietnam and Cambodia soon and I have booked flights to Bangkok then Bangkok airways discovery pass to Saigon and Phnom Penh , if you prefer a package then Kuoni have a really good Indochina brochure.
Hi Sydney (Shiela) and ShirleyV,

Janet and I are also looking at Vietnam for next February, so any useful information, travel agent / Tour Op advice or general tips would be gratefully received.

We would anticipate 3 nights BKK, 3 nights Ho Chi Min, a quick Mekong delta tour, a few nights on the coast (not too much travel) then back to Thailand for 5 to 7 days (approx 3 weeks in all).

We will probably book our own flights / hotels in Thailand / Vietnam on a DIY basis and use a good agent in Bangkok (who we have used before) for some of the arrangements (they can usually get hotels at lower price than direct booking).

Shirley, I would be particularly interested in the Bangkok Airways discovery airpass. I thought that this covered domestic Thailand/Cambodia/Laos but not Vietnam or travel between Thailand / Cambodia / Laos. Any clarification would be most helpful.

Sydney - for your requirement have a look at (Edited PeteB 5 April - whoops I meant Trailfinders! what a wierd slip!); I have found them helpful in the past and you may find something there.

As a matter of interest we had a good holiday in Goa, just don't want to make a habit of returning at the same time each year.

Peter
  • Edited by PeteB 2008-04-05 10:49:20
Hi Pete, the Bangkok airways pass will definitely cover the Saigon route, I have already booked it, they charge $90 per international route and $50 per domestic route, I have used the pass for the past 3 years, you have to book at least 3 flights with them and you cannot book it on the internet, I have the UK office tel no. if you need it , they are very efficient, I booked my flights one day the tickets arrived the next.

I f you want Vietnam beach for a few nights , I would advise the area of Mui Ne / Phan Thiet at the time of year you are going it will be perfect and you can road transfer from Saigon, there are lots of hotels in the area on the internet , we have only a short time for our next holiday so we are doing 1 night Bangkok, 4 nights Saigon, 4 nights Phnom Penh then 2 nights Bangkok, will be action packed for sure, can't wait :)
Just to clarify Pete, you can use the pass to travel betwen countries no problem , I have used it before for Bangkok - Siem Reap, and Bangkok - Luang Prabang .
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.