Far East

Discussions regarding holidays in the Far East.
Excellent report Pete with lot of useful tips. Glad you had a better time at the Shangri-La this time round. Siem Reap sounds great...was looking at going ourselves although not enough time on our next visit to SE Asia, as R + R takes the priority this time round. I don't suppose you know if the Bangkok Airways lounge has access to showers, as we have a few hours between international and ongoing flight.
oh I enjoyed that report. We were looking at almost the same as you- but Hanoi rather than Saigon- for the summer. We just couldn't get it at a price we wanted to pay though.
Shame you didn't like Saigon as much as you thought you might. I adored it. We did do a couple of excursions outwith Saigon though.
I'm trying to remember where the Majestic is. Is it close to the Caravelle and Continental?
I am determined that we will get to Siem Reap sometime :)
Hi ,

Fiona - we were quite astounded at some prices. Even allowing for the vast drop in the GBP some food and wine was horrendously expensive. We are hoping to book for KL and Bali next week (got to have something to look forward to) but if the prices are too high we may just hold back.

Cannot speak highly enough about the Sofitel - the only drawback is that it is too far away from the town to walk. A Tuk Tuk (moped with trailer) will ask for 3USD but you only ever have to pay 2 max, so it's not too bad. Food and wine are expensive , although there is a buffet and Khmer menu at the Citadel restaurant in the hotel. We managed an excellent Cambodian meal, plus wine for less than 70 USD. The steamed spring rolls to start were the most subtly flavoured as you can imagine (served cold). There is also a good sized pool area - heaven to return to after the temples or other trips out!

If you head down toward the river from the Caravelle (Dhong Khoi Street)- away from the Continental - until you come to the river, the Majestic is on the corner of Ton Duc (RH corner going down), overlooking the river.

We would return to Cambodia tomorrow - Angkor is awesome and the town of Siem Reap has enough going on to be interesting. The people were also great.

Sunbear - from memory the Bangkok Airways international lounge in BKK has two sections - the normal economy section which has just snacks, drinks and internet access (much the same as the normal lounge for internal flights). I do not recall seeing shower facilities. There is also a business class section, as they have introduced business class on one of their international routes. Whether they have showers in this section, I wouldn't like to say - we were in the plebs area as there is no business class to either Saigon or to Siem Reap. If they do have showers in Business Class, you may be able to sweet talk your way - they are one of the most helpful airlines that we have flown with.

If you cannot find details on their web site, I have found that they do answer e-mail queries. Try http://www.bangkokair.com/passenger_support/index.php "Contact us" and they have a web-based mail system.

If you do go to Angkor / Siem Reap, allow sufficient time. It is very hot and you can get "templed out"! Better to do a little on each of several days. 3 days would be about right and give you the chance to see sunrise and sunset on different days (a 3 day pass is, I think, about 50 USD as opposed to 25 USD for a single day pass). A four or five night stay (as opposed to our 3 nights) would probably be OK.

Peter
we went to Saigon April 2006 and just checked back to my report then- a meal of starter, main course and drinks for 2 was £17. Our hotel was about £60 a night at the Renaissance Riverside executive club floor with two hours of free alcoholic drinks and "snacks" you could make a 3 course meal out of( and many did!)- its £160 now. :yikes
Thanks Pete

I priced Siem Reap as an add on from KL lastyear using AirAsia and it was coming out at £100 pp for three nights at four star hotel inc flights which I thought was pretty good, but when I priced it out a few weeks ago for this March as an add on from Bangkok prices were more like £200 -300 pp which was not so great - even allowing for the drop in the pound.
Sunbear,

Prices are getting worse. The Sofitel at Angkor is now in excess of £150 per room per night - It is not just the temples that take your breath away.

To compensate, however, there seems to be some good flight deals at the moment - certainly to Thailand. The bad news in Thailand is that our last exchange was at 49.929415 Baht to the pound - and this was on Nationwide card.

:think :cry

Peter
Pete

I really enjoyed your trip report.
I also visited the Cai Be floating market during my trip to Vietnam/Cambodia. I stayed in Victoria Hotels in both Can Tho and Chau Doc catching the hotel's boat between the two, we were then taken on to Phnom Penh also by the Victoria boat, a trip I would recommend to anyone wanting to visit both countries. I love watching daily life on the banks of the Mekong.
What a fantastic report Pete, I enjoyed every word of it, thanks for sharing.
Cathy
Wonderful report Pete, really enjoyed it, like yourself would visit Cambodia again in a heartbeat, Saigon I enjoyed but wouldn't go again, although I liked the backpacker disrtict it was more authentic. My impression of Cambodia is that it is the most breathtakingly awesome country on this planet .
I loved Siem Reap and Phnom Penh and hope to visit this amazing country again soon. I noticed there is a programme about Cambodia on tv this coming Friday 7.30 , it is about how tourism is affecting the country , should be worth a watch.
We to liked Khmer Kitchen in Siem Reap :tup
Please can I ask what is it about Lost Horizons in the Shangri La ??

shirlyv
Hi Shirley,

As you are probably aware, Lost Horizon by James Hilton, described the fictional "Shangri La" valley where people age very slowly and live a harmonious lifestyle. Following a previous visit to the Shangri La, Bangkok, Sunbear asked if they still provided a copy of the book in the bedroom, as it is their custom to provide both the book and daily passages from it, in the form of bookmarks.

On my previous (and not too successful) visit, there had been no book and no daily passages provided.

Sunbear's query stuck in my mind and so I thought I would give him an update!

Judith - travelling from Can Tho to Phnom Penh must have been a great experience. There is something special about the Mekong somehow and we have now seen sections of it from the Golden Triangle to the delta. Perhaps one day, if the political situation improves, we will be able to see it from the upper reaches in Burma (Myanmar). We intend to visit Phnom Penh in the future, perhaps combining the trip with Laos - but that is for another day. :tup

Thank you all, including Cathy, for the positive feedback on the report. As you know, these things take time - so poitive feedback is always welcomed.

Now to give some thought to hotel reviews................... :really

Peter
Thanks Pete for a wonderful report... I was with you every step of the way.

Cheers Geri
all 4 of Pete's hotel reviews in the Vietnam and Cambodia can be found here now. Thanks Pete :) and the Bangkok one is here You will be needing a holiday again after all that :rofl
PeteB,

A truly astounding report.Enjoyed every word of it.Sir,I take my hat off to you.

Papa
What a great report Pete fantastic read can't wait untill Nov when we return to Phnom Penh and Sihanoukville.
Thanks for the comments folks,

Sheppo, we fully intend to visit Phnom Penh next time in Indo-China - perhaps combining Cambodia and Laos - so I look forward to any comments you may have on your next visit.

Papa - thanks - your Goa report was an enjoyable read too! I've only just caught up with it. We did Goa in 2007 and 2008 (Feb / March) and decided to give it a miss this year - I must say that we enjoyed this last trip far more.

:offtop We are now having a hades of a time getting the hotel we want in Bali in September - will need to go back to Cambodia for a rest once that is sorted out!

Peter
Try Laos Pete, I fell in love with the country when I visited last year. Unfortunately it's landlocked, so no good for people who like beaches.
I agree Judith , Laos was amazing , loved Luang Prabang , so quaint and laid back :)
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.