Algarve/Portugal/Madeira/Azores Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Algarve
vilanova
12 Posts
I can maybe answer a couple of your questions.

Weatherwise expect 15C during the day (ie a nice early summer day in UK!) but when the sun goes down at 5pm you will notice the cold. Bring a few layers.

The last two New Year's Eves it has been dry so fingers crossed - be ready for a shower but we can usually see them coming from the south!

As a rule I would say expect to pay less (maybe 2/3rd the price) you would pay in UK for a meal, but as anywhere you can have extremes at both ends. Everywhere has prices outside, so if you can escape the attentions of the touts for more than 30 seconds take time to study them.

NYE is not the best time to arrive here! It's a very big celebration and although almost everywhere is open, they will be very crowded so I recommend book if you can or get there asap after arrival.

Keep your 5yo on a leash so he/she can enjoy the midnight fireworks. There are free outdoor music events almost everywhere, hence crowds.

Beware that on 1st January almost all shops etc will be closed. Bars and restaurants tend to surface around mid-day!
:D thanks very much for your answers is there lots of place right by the vilanova to eat and shop before they all close
We ate at The Paradise which is almost opposite the Vilanova last NYE.
I think we paid about 17 euros for a 5 course meal + wine and the kids meals in there are only about 4 euros. We didn't book and will probably be eating there again this NYE.
Walked down the strip NYE a few years ago, quite frightening the number of people there, it was dead about 8pm but on the walk back in the early hours you couldn't move.
True - from around 10 or 11pm it will be crowded. This year the main event at Albufeira's old town music show is Bob Sinclar. A rather popular chap, when he played here in summer the crowd was estimated at 80,000 and it was physically impossible to move at 2am.

I would definitely have the 5 year old away from that area after the fireworks!
Can you watch all the festivities from any of the hotels? Was thinking maybe the Sol e Mar if you're a guest that is?
:D thanks very much for ur honest answers cant wait to go dont know where the old town is so i will stay close to vilanova till i get my bearing

thanks diydaz might try the paradise :)

as for five year old i think she might be asleep hope not would love her to see fireworks

20 more sleeps cant wait yipee
like a kid waitin for christmas :D

ps dont mean to be rude but who is bob sinclair
To reply to Glynis - the Sol e Mar and the terrace would allow you to see the fireworks being let off at the end of the marina breakwater fairly close up but the remainder are round the corner as it were, but you would be able to see most of them. No chance of seeing the stage from there though.

The fireworks are let off in several locations including the end of the pier, the cliffs at the Auramar/ForteS. Joao end of the beach and the breakwater outside the Marina and the Marina itself. I think they also have a site at Praia da Oura.

The various clifftops are lined with spectators well before midnight and anyone who has a room in the old town has a fair chance of a very good view.

But the only place to see the performers is in front of the stage on on the cliff above the pier, which is why it gets a bit crowded.

Last night there was quite an amount of rubble and mess still to be cleared up in that area. The new stepped edge of that square goes down away from the stage and in my view is a disaster waiting to happen. I shall steer clear after midnight!
Re entertainment for the 5 year old, when we went to the Vilanova apts about 4yrs ago the reps were still working and there were a few reps about so you might be lucky :)
Also the Zoomarine is a great day out and should be open while you are there, you can book this with the reps or with other places round about. They do have a website http://www.zoomarine.com and here you can see what they have to offer. I went with my mum and the weather wasn't that great and we had an excellent day out.

There was when we were there a wee train that took you down to the old town, it started across the road from the Vilanova. We done this few times, plus you could buy a day ticket which allowed you to go into the old town in the afternoon and come back and go down in the evening if you wanted.

I'm sure you'll have a great time, whatever you do.

Andrea
thanks for all your answers looking forward to getting away from dreary england 4 more sleeps :D
Have a good one Boon....look forward to your comments on your return.

Van :wave
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.