Africa/Middle East Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Africa/Middle East inc.Dubai
Visa for Kenya
9 Posts
Hi Carrie

When we went in April 2006, there was a long queue to pay the visa fee when we got to Nairobi and they said they weren't accepting sterling - despite it saying on the Kenyan High Commission that they would. If we were to go again I would take US dollars to pay it instead - the Kenyan High Commission should give you a rough guide to how much you can expect to pay. They did let us pay in sterling eventually but it took a while to convince them (we didn't have any other currency to give them). I think I printed out forms off the Kenyan High Commission website to fill out before we went.
Thanks Corinne that is useful to know - my friend thinks it might be a good idea to try to get them before we go to save queuing but she is looking into that. Kunoi has offered to do this for £60 but i am thinking that £30 of that is admin fee for them to provide the service so I wont be using that option.

Do you have to pay anything for leaving the country? :que
Cheers
I don't remember having to pay anything to leave - but I do remember a very long queue to get into Mombasa airport and getting soaked by an unexpected monsoonal downpour!
We went last year and paid US$50 on arrival. Queues were busy but we didn't have to wait too long. You could also pay in Sterling but as the exchange rate was so good at the time, it was more beneficial for us to pay in Dollars :tup
Thanks for the advise - maybe i will just get the Visa when I get there then which saves sending away mine and my daughters passport.
Decisions, decisions :rofl
Just thought I'd better warn you that if flying with First Choice ( can't speak for other airlines ) that there is a departure tax from Kenya of $20 per person , don't forget also the entry visa of $50 per person. Apparently the Kenyans prefer both lots to be paid in USA $'s. Tipping I've been led to believe is best done in Kenyan Shillings or GB Pounds. So my wife and I are taking bits of each currency.
We tipped in Shillings too but no departure tax with package hols with First Choice
I will take some US$s then to pay for my visa for entrance (my friend who is applying ahead of our trip had to send a passport photo with her application I assume we dont need one for getting them on arrival?) Dont wanna get all that way and find that I have missed something :tongue

Our package is with Kuoni flying with Monarch I believe but I imagine we will still have to pay on departure if everyone else does lol. :que

Cheers all
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.