General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
Wahh So Annoyed!
27 Posts
Hi Blossom, have you tried contacting the hotel directly?

ATB,J.
Just had a look at that now and its more expensive than going through an agent - isn't that bizarre. If only I can find an agency with family rooms!

Ooooh might have found one - has anyone travelled with Hays Travel before?
Thank you :) Posted a question on that thread! :)
Let's be very careful here! Does it say Hays Travel with no other name or is it another name saying "part of Hays Travel" with a vague and tiny reference to their "Independence Group". Because the two are not the same!
It's on the main Hays Travel site and I can't see any other names?

Found it a little cheaper on Sunshine.co.uk - but I don't fancy this one.

To be honest I would rather go with a "Big Name" Tour Operator - am I being silly?
Genuine Hays should be OK but we've had "issues" with some of the small companies who work within the Independence Group. That's a support company run by Hays for small independents and Hays have no liablity for what they get up to. The other name you mention has featured before, try looking it up using the Search option at the top of the screen.
Thank you - I did the search last night hence why not really wanting to book with them.

But, in your opinion is Hay just as good as the bigger names? Worth booking with? Or should I just look elsewhere do you think?
I've never used them but from previous posts people who have used genuine Hays seemed to be happy - unlike several who had used the independents without realising. Big doesn't equate to reliable, as the l-o-n-g threads about TC, TUI etc will show!
Okay - thank you. I am a majoy worry pants!!

TC have sold all their family rooms for the dates I want - they only bought 4 and to have 2 twins the price is so silly. :(
I really don't know what to do lol!!
Blossom, I have booked many many holidays with Hays travel over the last few years as their head office is based in my town.
It is the largest Independent Travel agent in the UK.and they have been in business for years.
If you look at Sunshine holidays you will see they have the same address as Hays main office.
I went in last week to book a Thomson Red sea cruise.The agent was excellent but we decided against it because as the boat docks in Jordan for 2 nights we would have had to get Worldwide Travel Insurance.
I went back yesterday to book a Thomas Cook holiday I had seen on their website but she couldnt give me the web price
so I booked it at Thomas Cook.
They beat the Thomson price for my holiday in May and included the full luggage allowance.
I found the agents at the call centres good too and have had great discounts from them whether I was booking a package from the big travel companies or booking a holiday that they have put together by booking hotel,flight and transfer separately.
They used to give good discounts to families who booked holidays in school holidays.
Thanks for this Jay - it has really put my mind at ease :)
I am seriously thinking about booking now :) Thanks again x
Hi Blossom,I remember when the owner John Hays started the agency in the back of his mothers clothes shop, in a small mining village in County Durham 30 years ago. :rofl
He sometimes works in the main shop to see if he still can sell holidays :rofl
The are a very reliable company but beware of some internet and teletext companies who give the impression they are part of Hays.
LOL really!!

Well I rang the number this afternoon on the Hays Travel website to get a quote, and still have the website open here and it is definitely Hay Travel :)
Jaytrip

if you look at the bottom of the sunshine main screen it says a trading name of Hays etc with the Sunderland address, but if you look on the Contact page it gives an actual address in Fleet, Hampshire and in About Us there is the CV of their managing director where it mentions he founded the company after selling his last one - holidaywatchdog - to Expedia. So I'm assuming these are one of the independents that work under the Hays support scheme. All these independents show the same line about Hays at the bottom of the screen but Hays themselves don't!
Steve,I read recently about the confusion regarding Hays so called sister companies.
Purple holidays being one of them and after seeing them advertised on Teletext I asked on here if anyone had used them.
Its strange that they use the Vine Place in Sunderland as their main address as this is the head office and Travel agency of Hays Travel.
I was told by someone just last week that they book flights with Sunshine.co because they "belong to Hays". :que
2 of the blokes who are directors of Sunshine started Holiday Watchdog but sold it to Expedia who is owned by Trip Advisor.
I dont remember any of these people mentioned on their website ever working in Hays in Sunderland. :que
Its strange that the Hays website doesnt give the history of the company because it used to.
It's not strange, it seems to be part of the deal through this http://www.independence-group.co.uk/linda-pyle.php

the Co-Op do a similar thing with this http://www.freedomtravelgroup.co.uk/ and their members use the CoOp addresses in a similar way.
Right - now I should imagine a lot of you on here are getting annoyed with me!! lol.

I STILL haven't booked as I am scared - I just did a search for reviews on Hays and they were all bad basically saying to steer clear!! I can book through the hotel and book flights with TC. BUT - it is quite a bit more expensive to do it this way.

No other well known TO offer the Hotel I want with a family room for these dates. Can anyone help/advise/hit me on the head pleeeeeeeease?
Blossom, have you had a look at Travel Republic? Try them and see what price they have. They should have the family room you want available. Many on here (including myself) have used them with no problem.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.