Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
If you want something more Turkish, you could do some research on Akyaka but I don't know if any of the major tour operators go there - but it is lovely. If you want to book with a main tour operator, you could look at Bodrum which is a working town as well as a resort so has more of a Turkish feel. Also on the Bodrum peninsula, if you want more sedate than Marmaris-mad, try looking at Yalikavak or Turgetries. Both are lovely places and offer plenty of accommodation to choose from, loads of restaurants, etc - of the two, I prefer Yalikavak. If the beach is the most important aspect, then have a look at Bitez - a small resort which lots of great restaurants.

All those I have mentioned (apart from Akyaka) are within an hour's drive of Bodrum airport so you haven't got an excessive transfer time. Also it's easy to explore the whole of the Bodrum peninsula by local transport so you could have a good look round.

Jak xx
Have you though of trying Side?
Its more popular with the British now and as well as having some fabulous 5 star hotels there are also lots of lovely small hotels/pensions in the old town.
Thomson have a lovely hotel in the old town right on the sea front.Its the Beach House hotel.Its B&B and has a lovely restaurant next door Soundwaves.
  • Edited by Jay Trip 2011-01-13 22:56:51
Like Jakki says there are some lovely resorts on the Bodrum Peninsula, nothing as mad and 'Blackpool' like as Marmaris ;)

Have a look at some of the resort reports as Dazbo suggests and see if anywhere takes your fancy.
Have a look at Icmeler staying at Babadan Apartments. Then there is Kalkan, I recommend Hotel Nur. My final offering is Altinkum and suggest you try the Panormos Hotel.

Les
Hi, I just want to second the comments by Jay Trip. If you want B&B close to sandy beaches and nice restaurants, then old Side, the part within the city walls, is the place to go. I would also endorse his choice of hotel, if you can get in, it is already fully booked for September. You will find many small hotels in this area and it is easy to book your own holiday via their websites if you so wish.
bodrum would probally be your best bet there are lots of resorts nearby and bodrum is a lively place with a friendly atmosphere and is more up market than marmaris,along with cesme it is one of the most popular spots for rich turks to holiday,although i must add if you find marmaris blackpool like i dont think gumbet will be your cup of tea.I feel i should defend marmaris here however the only thing that gives the resort a blackpool atmosphere is us brits and the bars that cater for us, the marina and castle area is lovely,, out of season it is a bustling town that is very turkish and not resort like at all unlike other areas that some tourists see as more traditional but are nothing but tourist areas and shut down at the end of october.I suppose its the same snobbishness that benidorm recieves,there are areas that are aimed at brits and offer full english breakfasts,pound a pint etc but there are also areas that cater for the many spanish who live there and holiday there.I dont actually mind blackpool personally being a lancashire lass myself lol.if you are interested in akyaka anatolian sky do holidays to this area.
Thanks everyone for taking the time to reply.

I have made a list of all the resorts mentioned and will take a good look at them.

I had thought of Side, we never visited when we stayed in Alanya. I was a bit worried though that it was full of huge 5 star all inc hotels... we've had enough of all inc the last few years and want to be able to eat out at different places every night and just be able to wander where we like without the fear of been shot!

The hotel in Side looks lovely, and I was about to add it to my favourites ready to book if I didn't like the look of anywhere else, but then I read it doesn't have a pool, and a pool is an absolute must for us. I don't like the sea (stupid fear of fish!) so without a pool we would be lost. Any other recommendations of similar hotels would be great though!
I would recommend Turunc, Icmeler, Olu Deniz or Calis
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.