Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
Hi sorry to hear about this incident,when we were in marmaris 2 weeks ago i only took a limited amount of money and used the atm to draw cash out,i was as careful there as i am here,checking the plastic before putting my card in,putting my hand over the pin number when entering it,also constantly checking that nobody was lurking around,luckily we had no problems at all,as jtomlinsin sais be on your guard at all times
DO NOT LET ANYONE HELP YOU...... please, they might be genuine but incidents like these are on the increase. If we don't give out cards to them they won't keep doing this. ALL atms in the resorts have a change to english button....this is before you enter the pin number. It then becomes the same as back in the UK........ I say again...NEVER GIVE YOUR CARD TO ANYONE HERE........not even me!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hi Jtomlinson,

Sorry to hear what happened to you; just out of curiosity, how exactly did they take your card? Did they ask for it, or just take it without you realising ?

As with anywhere in the world this sort of thing can happen anywhere, but I have heard that there's a new spate of this going on in - particularly in the Icmeler region. And it always seems to be two Turkish men involved in the theft.

Did you inform the police?

Strawberry
What happened was that there had been quite a few power cuts and the cash machines at the two banks nearest our apts werent working so I went to the one by the indoor market. The machine was written in Turkish and I did for a second think that it usually said English/Turkish (but this was only the second time I had withdrawn cash so I wasnt certain) so I thought it must change once I put the card in and enter the pin, which I then did, the card then came back out again. With that a man on the right hand side of me started to "read" what was printed in turkish on the machine and said "its ok, you can just try it again" - which I did (I know, I know at that point I should have realised!) - then I had a tap on my left shoulder and another man said "is it an ordinary debit card youre trying to use" - I then turned back and nothing seemed to be happening with the machine and so I just tried to use the reject button. What must have happened was that whilst the second man distracted me and I glanced away the first one must have grabbed my card when the machine rejected it. So I actually wasnt quite so stupid to "give" them my card (although I may as well have done!). One of them was Turkish and the other, although foreign, I dont think was Turkish - certainly not typical turkish looking anyway. Yes, we did report it to the Police (who seemed totally bemused by the whole incident) and I also checked with the bank the following day to see if I was completely wrong and that my card was still in the machine - from the look on their faces when I tried to explain to them I dont think it was the first time it had happened. As I say, I know I should have been more guarded - and I certainly am when at home- but I just wanted to warn people about being relaxed. trusting and not so guarded whilst on holiday. Trouble is I dont trust many english people but the Turks I always thought were a lot better !! Anyway good news is that I am able to claim the stolen money back, although I'm still really annoyed with myself that I let it happen - when you replay it back in your mind you realise just how obvious what they were doing was. It wouldnt put me off going back to Icmeler as its a fantastic place with 99.9% lovely people (!) and this kind of thing happens numerous times a day in this country.
hopefully your experience will help others. It is so easy to be distracted and these thieves are well practised. Glad you have your money back though,
We did have a bit of trouble on a sunday withdrawing money out from a bank opposite gima in marmaris,after putting the pin number in it had run out of lira,so my daughter said see if euros come up,so i pressed for euros(which i didnt want anyway)but didnt know how to cancel transaction.It then said how many euros,we were trying to figure out how to return card and i asked a man behind how to return the card,he spoke very little english and asked a turkish man behind how to return the card.They were both at the machine but my hand was over the return card slot to get it as it came out.
Theres me saying im careful at atms but looking back i could have easily been in jtomlinsons shoes,okay they might have been genuine but but now its been pointed out i will be over careful
Hi

I have been going to marmaris for 12 years now and what an eye opener. This would never have happened then, but unfortunately its very common now, be careful when you are on the phone as well, my son was on one of the public phones next to our hotel and two men took his gold bracelet without him knowing. When he realised what had happened he went to a little shop next to the phone as he saw one of the men go in, he asked the shopkeeper had he seen them and he said no. they do all stick together. Sorry for your experience. My husband always comes with me, try not to go to these machines on your own,

carrol47
Sorry this happened to you, but people do let down their guard when on holiday - some people come in to resorts just to steal, and have a good life for free. I have seen hundreds of bags and money belts left on tabletops for anyone to grab and pick up - just because the sun is shining, don't think you are safe.

Yes, you should be able to leave your camera and watch out in your room, but I never ever do it.....

Might be a good idea to put money on a a holiday cash card, so at least they can't wipe out your savings.... I think Thomsons or American Express do them.
I never use plastic when abroad ,as one time i lost my card and was without funds for most of the holiday ,If it wasent for the wife who always carries cash ,i would have been a right pickle , I only carry cash now english tenners never had a problem since .

Bluepeterno1
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.