Bulgaria Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Bulgaria
We have booked transfers already so hopefully we won't run into trouble. Thanks for the heads up though.
Lovely. What's the weather like Harry. We are arriving on Saturday :)
Winter is upon us. its snowing at the moment and it will turn really cold on Wednesday - minus 10 and more. :-) I have stocked up with food and had a lot of wood delivered.
Good good it's the skiing we are coming for :)
Hi harryoooh,

Welcome to the board.

Perhaps the Sofia taxi companies should take a look at what's been happening in Varna recently, where one of the major firms, Lasia, has unilaterally reduced standard fares from 0.89 Лв. to 0.54 Лв. per kilometre in order to encourage taxi use in the present financial climate (of course, Varna is more dependant on seasonal trade than Sofia and I have my doubts that the reduced rates will persist into the summer season).

This action has, naturally, caused lots of protests, hand-wringing, mud-slinging and general whingeing from rival taxi companies/drivers.

Baldur
Sofia airport? LOL, Varna taxis can rip you off too. Always look for signs and most important, look at the rates - they're somewhere at the windows. They have the legal right to rip you off if It's written there that they can take you that amount of money. I've seen a taxi which takes 25 stotinki per kilometer, but it's initial rate was 20 levs. (LOL). For Varna I can give you some numbers of taxis:

* Lasia (Ласиа) - blue stickers with number on it 052 500 000 (this is actually the phone number).
* Omega (Омега) - 052 388 888
* Three taxi (Три такси) -052 33 33 33

These are the cabs I use. DON'T GET A TAXI WAITING IN FRONT OF THE AIRPORT OR BUS STATION which is without stickers of that firms.

Regards.
Sis wrote:
Varna taxis can rip you off too. Always look for signs and most important, look at the rates - they're somewhere at the windows. They have the legal right to rip you off if It's written there that they can take you that amount of money. I've seen a taxi which takes 25 stotinki per kilometer, but it's initial rate was 20 levs. (LOL). For Varna I can give you some numbers of taxis:

* Lasia (Ласиа) - blue stickers with number on it 052 500 000 (this is actually the phone number).
* Omega (Омега) - 052 388 888
* Three taxi (Три такси) -052 33 33 33

These are the cabs I use. DON'T GET A TAXI WAITING IN FRONT OF THE AIRPORT OR BUS STATION which is without stickers of that firms.

As of last year, notices have been prominently displayed at the exits from the Arrivals section of Terminal 1 at Varna Airport, which show the maximum rates payable for taxi journeys to various locations, e.g. Varna city centre, Golden Sands, etc.

From memory, the quoted maximum rate from the airport to Dobrich, shown on those notices, last year was 55 лв., as opposed to the bus fare of 6 лв. for the same journey (1 лв. to Central Bus Station - bus 409, plus 5 лв. from the nearby Private Bus Station Mladost to Dobrich).

Baldur
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.