Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
Funnily enough, although I don't normally do that well in the heat (I'm one of those folk who rarely feels cold, even when everyone around me is shivering), I seem to cope quite well in Turkey. We've been twice in June - both times when even the Turks said it was particularly hot - and I didn't find it too bad. Even when the temperature soars, it doesn't seem to be an unbearable heat, if that makes any kind of sense. Depending on which resort you're visiting, you might find there's also quite a pleasant breeze on the beach too. I would, however, make sure that your hotel or apartment does have air conditioning though - it can make a huge difference to your enjoyment of your holiday.
If all else fails, an ice cold Efes will soon sort you out though! :cheers
Hi Rotteredam, it will be a shock to your system, I can tell you that much for nothing :duh
We always holiday in August and it's normally Greece or the Caribbean. We went to Turkey once in August and as you say the temp did hit 50 deg. Thankfully I love the heat but even I had to keep jumping into the pool to cool off. We're off to Turkey again this August. As well as all the usual sensible precautions such as applying a high factor sun cream and wearing a hat you would be well advised to-

Drink plenty of plain water
Avoid the hottest part of the day by retiring inside (somewhere air conditioned)
Dip into the pool or sea often
Try not to do anything too strenuous when it's baking hot
Be aware that if there's a sea breeze you may not be aware that you're burning so if you're out walking cover up with a light cotton top.
I would agree with all the above.

I am also someone who had (until recently) never been a sun lover - I couldn't cope with 20 degrees over here let alone 30s/40s.

Next month I am off to sunnier climes for the 6th time in 2 years!!! The only place I have had a problem is in Corfu which I found an oppressive heat. Turkey I coped with quite easily last year and am going back again this september.

If you are walking anywhere during the day I would suggest staying on the sheltered side of the street and there is a cooling spray which my other half found effective (she has been going abroad for years and yet it was me who coped better with the temperature).

You didn't say where you are going to in Turkey, but there are a few inland areas that are cooler than the coast (either coach trip or hire an air-conditioned car) and there are the mud baths at Dalyan!!

I hope you enjoy it as much as we did last year (and majority of the people on this board do). Definitely my favourite holiday destination.

Dave
The cooling spray which Dave mentions (Magicool is the one I use) is very useful - and if you happen to suffer from prickly heat, they do a version specially for that too, which both my daughter and I have found to be very effective.
Hiya

Being a complete Turkeyphile, and having been many many times and at different times of the year, I can say without reservation that July and August are usually the hottest months to go there, that's why we always go now in May and again in September. May is slightly cooler and for me, the best month. My hubby, is a complete sun worshipper, and the heat really doesn't bother him at all, although, the last time we went in August (5 years ago) it got too much for him....................(wuss)lol

Advice to you would be, well, it's obvious, but you would be amazed at how often sooooooooooooooo many people suffer from dehydration, and blame it on food, it is because they haven't taken enough of the clear liquid (I mean water, not Voddie) too late if you feel thirsty, honest. If you are staying AI,water is on tap 24/7 either in the water coolers, or bottled in ice buckets or fridges, just grab what you need, and you do need a lot. If you staying any other board, then it is so cheap to buy, and everywhere sells it, large and small bottles.

Keep out the sun between 11 and 3, dip in the pools or sea every chance you get, although be careful, cos the sun will get ya. Wear loose cotton cover ups, (T shirts, kaftans etc) and use gallons of sun cream. Take plenty with you, because it is expensive in Turkey, and the shops in the hotels sell at premium rates. Also take plenty of after sun, and if you have the mini bar in your room, store in there to keep it cool.

Buy Autan repellant spray or cream to ward off any biting pests...............And nivea chapstick is brill for lips.

I take a small plant spray bottle with me, and fill it with 3 parts water and 1 part lavender water, keeps you cool and you smell mighty fine too.

All in all, a cool lager or 3 is always good, sitting in the sun, but, too much alcohol is the main reason lots of people become ill.

Just enjoy your holiday, believe me you will have a wonderful time, just take care in the sun.

Take care :sun2
the best way is to buy a lemon colonge from any supamarket or any shop this keeps you nice and cool and if you create a slight breeze with a towel or sit in front of a fan it feels quite chilly for a while ,
the best way to know if it is too hot is watch the turks if they stay inside then its to hot they live in it so they know when to keep in the shade and alsodrink plenty of water and not beer as dehydration happens quickly
and take a little more salt than normal with your food :sun2
One Turkish friend told us that their best tip for coping with the heat was to drink ayran (the Turkish yogurt-based drink) - adding an extra pinch of salt. Said that's what the locals swear by...
For me its not the Heat , just slow down.
But Its that Brilliant sunshine , so my tip
stay out of the sun. Sit in the shade
Walk in the shade , stay out of the sunshine.
I dont like it too hot either.....just to expand on the plant spray bottle....I have some small 100mls spray bottles....I got the original one in a set of 100ml bottles and pots in asda....I also bought one on its own but cant remember where....they are like plastic perfume sprays....as they only hold 100mls you can take them in your liquid bag through security....I fill it with bottled water and so can spray it on my face and in my mouth as well...I hate a dry throat or mouth..

They are so small you can take them anywhere with you ....and they last for ages and easily refilled ...they saved me when I went to gran caneria and rhodes last july and august....just spray your neck face and arms and you will cool right down......the comercial sprays in cans are expensive and the smallest I found were 150 mlsn
I don't like to spray too much water over me as it reduces the effectiveness of the sun protection. I hate re-applying it all the time.
Drink lots of water, wear a hat, spritz your self with lemon cologne and avoid sitting in the sun during the hottest part of the day (11-3), don't move too fast anywhere and if it gets really unbearable dive into the swimming pool or the sea!

I know people always say about temperatures of 50 degrees but the hottest recorded temperature in Turkey is 45 degrees. you will probably find the hottest it gets is early 40s (still VERY hot though)

My husband swears by ayran too but I really don't like it :yuck
hi shirley h....your right about the sun protection.....but these little sprays give a fine mist...so not too much damage....I found just spraying the inside of my wrists and a quick spray on my face worked...no need to soak yourself......I found it was most valuable on the coach from the airport and when I was on the buses ect....I get sick if I get too hot...and these little spray bottles worked a treat for me....I dont sunbathe ....a sun bed under a big umberella is the nearest I get....with a big drink, my book or suduko and my music...little spray bottle to hand incase I start feling over heated....so not such a worry for me if suncream not up to scratch
The thermometer at a bar in Side hit over 55C in July last year - we saw it. Don't know if its actually that accurate, but it was 'rather warm' :rofl

If you are like my husband who can't live without exercise, get up early and do it...he goes for a run along the beach no later than 5am. If he goes any later he'll do a shorter run, then go on the gym treadmills.

Dip into the pool reguarly, and (if you can :yikes ) a lot of hotels have cold showers which are nice.

Drink lots - water preferably, although Efes is rather nice ;) :cheers

In our hotel, we are given two of the key-fob things to work the electricity. When we go out at night, we leave the air con on full blast...it is absolutely freezing when we get back.

If you are in a hotel, only take a small bottle of water each to the pool area, and leave all the rest upstairs so it doesn't heat up.

And at night, if you fancy a drink, but not an Efes, try a Mojito. Very nice, full of ice, and so refreshing.

Oh, another bit of advice - if you are going on an inflatable, make sure it is wet all over before you get on it if its been lying in the sun. They get really hot.
Some great information and ideas there peeps.

Thank you all so very much.

:sun2
I don't think anybody can over-estimate the need to drink plenty of fluids (not alcohol) when it's hot - by the time you feel thirsty, it's too late and dehydration is setting in. The water is pretty cheap in Turkey so make sure you always have some to hand.

We live part of the year in Turkey and always use the Magicool - if you're lucky enough to have a fridge in your room, keep it in there - heaven. Also the lemon cologne that you can buy by the bucketful in Turkey is cooling.

As other people have said, use the shade when you're walking. It always amazes me how the Turks manage to find shade anywhere - you'll see them standing by the road in the shade of a telegraph pole or similar. We quickly learnt to do the same thing!!

Oh and do take plenty of sun screen with you - it's expensive over in Turkey and not as good as you get here.

I think the difference in temperatures quoted by people is that the weather bureau give the air temperature - but then you've got the "sitting in the sun" temperature - that's hot!!

Hope you have a great holiday.

JAK xx
I was in Side in July last year

ref .. The thermometer at a bar in Side hit over 55C in July last year - we saw it.

I also saw ornate temp gauge hit the top reading of 54C .

But the gauge was is brilliant sunshine , in the middle of a patio .
The hotel figures was a more believable 41. ( in the shade)
Temp readings are always taken in controlled places.
The waiters did remark that the weather was 'warm'
I have seen temps as high as 57 at the poolside ,so it dues not matter where they take the overall readings from.the point is it is that temp at that time in that spot ,so the trick is to stay away from that spot at that time .Stay under shade ,drink plenty water and still wear plenty sun block.Turkish men wear shirts and ties with vests underneath and you dont see many sweating because they look for the shade .I have seen women working on the roads wearing wooly jumpers ,woolen stockings and head scarfs in 40 deg heat .They will watch the sun and cross the road or move along just in front of it so as not to get direct sunlight that is the worse kind of heat when it is belting down on you . Great stuff just thinking about it makes me start to get in the holiday mood :sun2

Peter
Most apartments tend to only have air con in the bedrooms, we have now purchased a 16" stand fan that we use in the lounge/kitchenette area as this is where out kids sleep, it definatley helps, luckly our friends in Icmeler store the fan for us every year so we don't need to carry it to and fro.

I always find removing my shoes whenever I can in the evening (under the dining table etc) helps me cool down, also using cold water on the wrists has an effect.

Agree with the others, definatley drink plent of water, if you are walking around in the sun like we did last year in Ephesus (No shade) we were drinking 0.75 to 1 litre an hour each, we then ran out for the last 30 minutes and there was no where to buy more until you left the site. We now always carry water even it's only a 20 minute walk to the shop and back. Also have a drink of water after every couple of alcoholic drinks, this prevents dehydration caused by the alcohol.

I actually find August better than July as the Humidity is lower so easier to stay cool in the shade. When the kids have left school I will go back to travelling in September which we used to do, nice temperatures and you get a better tan as you can spend more time in the sun.

Dave
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.