Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
We tend to tip small amounts as we go along . You will definately get special treatment that way . only tip tho if they do a good job in looking after you . we usually give the staff we like and that look after us a couple of pound each every other day . this is more than adequate in Egpyt and will quarantee you extra good service especially if there are loads of russians about who i dont think bother to tip. I think we had about 6 members of staff that we tipped regularly this year so it didnt really break the bank. At the end of our stay i gave the cleaning boy £10 for our 2 rooms and a few pound in between. :D

lyn
Thanks lyn the advise is great.

It was mainly `drinks` waiters I was really wondering about, does everyone tend to tip everytime you get a drink? or at the end of the evening, and what about drinks around the pool? would you tend to do end of day?

I`m ok with room boys and pool towl boys, but the rest of this AI is a bit new to us.
Hi Katiesmum :D

Just wanted to say I'm so glad you got booked as I remembered all the help you gave me when I was trying to decide where to go this year. I've kept your pm's for future reference as I still fancy the Taba Hyatt.

Just returned from a great holiday at the Rennaisance, we were next to a hotel you were considering, The Hilton Waterfalls which also looked nice.

I see you have gone for the AI option this year so it will be good to hear how you enjoy it. I'm sure it will be Fab what with everything being new. The six weeks will fly by.

Doe :D
Hi Doe,

Nice to hear from you, I`m glad you had a great holiday. We also were looking at the Rennaisance as it looks wonderful with great reports but could not get really good price.

As you know I normally book really early, but have messed about this year (was going to get my drive and patio done, but got silly estimates from silly men who were taking the p - - - !!) so decided to go away instead.

I looked at Savita in September but of course was nowhere near finished, then last weekend got what I thought was a good price for a week and it was AI (which we have never done before!!) I e`mailed the hotel with a few questions and they were really prompt and helpful so thought I`d give it a go. It looks wonderful and I like the thought that everything will be new, there may be a few teething problems but its only for a week.
As long as we have cumfy sunbeds, the pool is warm for Katie and the sun is lovely and hot, then we will be happy.

Where are you planning on next?? I have promised myself I will get booked up for next Whit a lot earlier than this year.
Hi :D

Going to Algarve for a fortnight in July and Spain over August bank holiday. But I'm sure I will be back to Egypt next year if possible.

Not fussy about where just a good quality hotel and some nice weather will do. I liked the idea of the Hyatt at Taba but would also consider Luxor if the deal was right, then we could see a few sites as I dont fancy doing them from Sharm.

If all else fails though I would be quite happy to go to Sharm for a third time, so will be interested in what you think of the Savita. Glad you got it booked.

Doe :D
hi again ketiesmum . We wouldnt normally tip if we were going to the bar to collect our drinks. meal times are different staff would look after us very well and get us the drinks if we wanted them too.again just a couple of quid to the staff who looked after you every couple of nights always got us great service. in the bars one tip for the night should be fine :D :D . you really dont need to go overboard , just small amounts are plenty.
doepsmc, have a great time.

lynwestie, many thanks for the advice - just one more maybe supid question - would you tip the waiters for the first drink or wait until end of the evening. Thanks
we tend to tip at the start but everyone is different . hopefully that ensures a good service while your there . but saying that if you tip at the end this would ensure you a great service the next night :wink: . what you have to remember is that when on an A/I it is quite normal and in many places expected for you to go to the bar yourself . but in Egypt you will find no shortage of friendly egyptians only too happy to bring drinks to your table .they dont expect tips but its always nice to give. :wink: and they are always very gratefully received.

dont worry you will soon get the hang of it . just make sure you keep a stock of 10 and 20 notes. if your hotel has a bank im sure they will be happy to change for you.

lyn
Thanks lyn, I`ve got a few $1 notes so will take them as well, and change some £ at the airport.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.