Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
I've experienced the hassle from the shop kepers.............I simply say 'no thank you' once then ignore them and walk on.

If I venture into a shop and I'm not happy with the price I walk out, they will invariably drop the price then :wink:

All women will experience attention from Egyptian men, best to try and shrug it off and make it clear you're not interested.
If you do show any interest you will most probably receive unwanted attention for the duration of your holiday with requests for your room number, phone number, email address etc. Be firm and you should be fine.

Unfortunately British women seem to have a repuation for being an easy lay out here. I can only assume that's because Egyptian men have found many of them to be easy conquests so tar us all with the same brush.

My only other complaint is having to come home again and that's the truth!

Pippy :D
I love the hassle, but i dont like the cramps and diarhoea, day 3 always. Other than that, everything perfect.

Michelle x
My negatives are the same no matter where in the world I have been - shop keeper hassle and dodgy tummy, :roll: :roll: :P
The worst thing on our holidays to Egypt has been the hassle at the airport from "porters".When we went to Taba last year they hassled us from immigration right up to the door of the coach .One guy even wanted £2 per case to throw our bags into the luggage bay!
We just kept saying "no thankyou" but it gets wearing after 10 minutes!
We are off on a Nile cruise in 6 weeks time - the bit I'm not looking forward to is the battle at Luxor airport!! :(
I hear you, brewerdave, little things like that can put a damper on a holiday.

It's just something that so many of us in the west are not used to. The woman I spoke to said she was shaken by the experience (although the husband didn't care so much).

Shouldn't the airport authorities (or the minister of tourism, for that matter) do something :?: I think most tourists don't mind tipping .. WHEN IT*S REASONABLE :!: :!: :!: :!: There should be a general sign in the airport advising on tipping tips :)

This sort of thing doesn't bother people who have been to Egypt several times and know how to say a FIRM ''NO THANK YOU'' :!: :!:

Unfortunately, not all of us have that extra tough edge to our personalities to cope with things like that. But hey, you're going back .. so it must still be worth it, right :?:
Wanting tips for almost everything you do...
hassle in shops...
and hagling, just put the price of something on it...
Yes, we are going back cos the weather and the scenery make it worth while.
It seems the same the whole world over tho' - we had to fight the "porters" off in Mexico,Antigua,Barbados even Florida!! I wouldn't mind so much if it was a long walk to the coach but it generally isn't. Last year in Mexico they were carrying the bags all of 20 metres!! :lol:
You know we all mention about the hassle, but we havent had it half as bad as my daughter in Ayia Napa, in Cyprus. She told me they actually drag you in their pubs and restaurants and she felt very intimidated, so much so they had to stay on the complex a lot of the time.

We have only been to Sharm and cairo four times, i think cairo is the worst as it is noticeably poorer there, and they do have to earn their living and it is the only way they know how. It is there culture so although it is annoying, we put up with it as it is the way they live.

I felt terrified going to see the pyramids, but after a while you get used to it. In Sharm i feel the touts on the beach the worst than any of the shop keepers, they even wake up up to sell a excursion to you, now i'm afraid that is not on! I am used to shopping and i personally do love a bargain and haggling, its great fun.
the only negative thing what does my head in is having to come home from egypt
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.