Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
I dont think anyone on here who returns to Goa year after year will EVER be able to tell you exactly why they keep returning Graham. There is something about the place that grabs your heart and won't let it go :)

As for where you should consider staying, depends really on what your preferences are i.e. If you like busy and vibrant then the North is for you if its peace and quiet then the South. Definitely wouldn't book half or full board as so many good restaurants to try and of course the famous beach shacks. I am sure many others will add suggestions for you, this is just a start. Keep checking the brochures and if you see a place you like, just ask on here - someone will know if its good or not.

If you like somewhere different, then you will probably like Goa, it isn't for the feint hearted and not everyone who goes will return; it usually takes around 3 days for first timers to decide if its for them or not however, personally I knew how I felt on the first drive down to calangute from the airport and although I have wavered over the years, I still go back :D

Happy holiday hunting :tup Fizz
Graham - we've only started considering Goa over the last couple of years, but like you, have not yet taken the plunge. Our main problem is that both hubby & I work in a school, as do our friends who holiday with us. The school holidays don't really seem to co incide with the best periods to visit, apart from Xmas, when cost is then a big hinderance.
The more you read the more you could easily be put off.

The filth, the corruption, the poor standards of accomodation compared with lots of other destinations.

The crazy traffic, the noise , the dreadful poverty, the beggars, The River Princess saga etc etc.

However as so many of us have found Goa can be highly addictive and lots of us ignore all the bad things because it just gets in your blood.

It is impossible to pin it down to a single thing but for many (us included) it is the beach life that is one of the main things.

Its not as if the shacks are even that cheap anymore but that is one of the main reasons we keep going back.

We have been to many 5* hotels all over the world but we are back to basic Goa next month and probably again in March.

Once you try it you will either hate it or become like us. Addicts needing our yearly fix.

Papa
Thanks everybody for your replies so far :tup

We have been to many countries and had some lovely holidays in very 'posh' hotels and we have had lovely holidays in what some people have described as a poor mans Butlins :que we have seen some very poor people and beggers who have nothing, wouldn't be the first time I have actually removed my shoes and given them away.

I have looked at some hotels and it is the smaller basic ones that I like the look and sound of, thought not sure which area to look at, we like somewhere with a bit of a buzz but we can retreat back to for some R&R.

Cheers :tup
Graham
HI Kiltman
take a look at Calangute,not far from Candolim where the meets are,dive in go for it you will not regret it,and bring your Kilt,we wear our cilts(Welsh)so you will fit in with the rest of us
Thanks for that bit of info, will have to wait until start of year before I can book as they are going to change my shift pattern and I won't know when I am off until late December or early January.

Anybody got any opinions good/bad on the Nizmar Resort Calangute?
Nizmar is fine.

Stayed there a couple of years ago.

Not a great pool scene as there are not many sunbeds and the pool has not got a lot of shade.

As I have said though most people head for the beach and to their favourite shack.

Location wise it is not too far from the lunacy of Calangute and about a 100 ruppe taxi ride to Candolim.

I have found after about 15 plus trips to Goa that the hotels used by the tour operators are much of a muchness. That may be a slight generalisation but mostly they are the same.

If your budget stretches further then you can spend more but that is missing the charm of Goa.

We have spent our last trip in a little guesthouse we have found and have found it quite refreshing.

It is so hard to try to give you an idea of what to do because Goa is just so different.

The best thing is to just go with what you think is best which is what we all did and still do and then if you like it then next time you will be prepared.

Just go it will probably be one of the best things you do

Papa
Hi
the Nizmar is in an ideal spot ,out the back gates short walk to the beach past the football ground and halfway house restuarent/bar(good food owner realnice chap known him years)out front gates turn left to town and right towards st Anthonys chapel and candolim,The hotel itself is o.k. not bad at all
Thanks for that, just one of the hotels that had caught my eye, as I mentioned I am only looking at the moment until they sort out my new shifts but it is nice to get some hotels that can be personally recommended.
We have stayed at the Nizmar 3 times in the past, now go to a little guest house. The Nizmar has changed since we stayed there, (mainly the staff that we know have now moved on to other hotels) but to be honest it isn't a bad hotel, always room for improvement, but it is one of the better ones and is in a good location for getting out and about. I know the Manager (Prabhu) he is also a qualified chef, great guy. You will get well looked after at the Niz, they try very hard to make your holiday memorable - after all, they do want you to come back again :) Friendly atmosphere.

Great tailor (Macs) at the Nizmar. Great themed nights and great pool. A couple of little shops for essentials can be found on the little side road that leads to the Nizmar.

You could do worse than book the Niz.

Fizz
What are we missing out on?

;) Honey Bee and Old Monk rum! :rofl
You are missing out on quite a lot IMO.

There is nowhere else in the world that i would put up with what i do when i go to Goa.

I love Goa with all its faults. I enjoy staying in a basic 2 star hotel, i enjoy the busy calangute area, and i love the beach shacks with their warm and friendly staff.

I am going to the Dominican Republic in April, to a very nice 4star all inclusive hotel, but i have a funny feeling that i will think it does not live up to Goa.

Like others, i have travelled to some nice places in the world, stayed at lovely hotels for the same price as i pay to go to Goa and stay in a 2star hotel. But Goa has been better.

I cant say exactly why i feel the way i do, but just experience Goa for yourself, and maybe you will start to understand :)
What advice would you give 2 Goa virgins regarding locations to stay? what resort / city / area, hotels / guest Houses / HB or BB.

Difficult to answer really but I'd suggest Candolim - slightly less crazy than Calangute but still lively. I noticed the Direct brochure that dropped through the letter box a couple of days ago featured the Lemon Tree. That's the first time I've seen that offered as a package deal. It was built about 4yrs ago and is very nice indeed-we had a good look around when it first opened but it was about £100 per night - yes, really! Worth a look.

A big part of a Goan holiday is eating out - the restaurants are excellent and the prices don't hurt too much. I wouldn't do anything more than B&B. You can eat lunch in the shacks and dinner in a different restaurant every night.

Why not put a short list of hotels up here and see what thoughts people come up with. Just don't expect European standards!
Why not put a short list of hotels up here and see what thoughts people come up with. Just don't expect European standards!

Unless you want to pay European prices.
There are some fabulous hotels in Goa if you have the money to afford them...

I don't :cry :cry :cry
We are Goa virgins too and having scoured this forum and others we've plumped for Candolim as we want something fairy lively but not too frenetic.

We're going to the Silver Sands which has had great reviews- although I do wonder if we should have picked the Lemon Tree as I've read lots of good things abouut it.

I've been to lots of different places in the world - my favourites being Hong Kong, South Africa, the USA and Turkey (where we go annually). I've not liked Cyprus, Germany, Australia or the Dominican Republic at all. And then the other places I've been sit somewhere in the middle - China, Belgium, Holland, Italy, France and Denmark.

So I am looking forward to seeing what India has to offer. Particularly as I've not seen much of Asia. Turkey and the USA are the only countries I've kept revisiting so I wonder if Goa will have the same effect....
Thanks again everybody for advice, once I am at the booking stage I will come up with a short list :tup

IrishNoel recommends http://www.capscornergoa.com/ which looks fine to me so I presume there is no need to book big expensive hotels? Only thing my wife likes a pool for a daily swim.

I will be be interested to see what you think when you get back Haymans74

Looking more and more likely tat we will be going to Goa and some point :tup

Cheers
Graham
We're not going until Feb Kiltman so you might get there before us!

That guest house looks nice!
We're not going until Feb Kiltman so you might get there before us!

There won't be any chance of that, I won't even find out when my new shift pattern will be until the start of the year, 27 years on the same shift pattern which everybody liked and now they are changing it, mmm not happy, it is interfering with my holiday social life :)
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.