Greece - Corfu Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Corfu.
Hi Mari,
I allways eat the local dishes, no matter where I am.
Can't see the point in eating English when you have all that wonderfull Greek food.
faves are -
Stifado
Kleftico
Pork Chop - You might think this is an English dish,a nd you'd be half right. But the way it is cooked in Greece is very diferent.
Greek Salad
Chef Salad
Greek Meatballs -
To name a few!

Hope to get my Greek 'fix' in late June. 2 weeks in Parga. (hopefully)
I'm with intervoice on the food.

I don't eat meat but I like....
Fresh fish barbequed, cheese and spinich pies, dolmades (hand-wrapped vine leaves with a savoury rice and herb filling), saganaki cheese, Greek salads (love the tomatoes there) and Greek yoghurt and honey.

My other half loves the kleftiko and stifado dishes, as well as souvlaki (grilled, skewered meat).
absolutely no point in traveling abroad to eat English/American/Chinese/Indian/Mexican [unless thats where you are going]

Always eat local produce as in season, save money and find a new taste

its not a question of what do i eas as what don't i eat two things i cant stand are octopus and cuttlefish, although i don't mind squid

yasus
wizard
We eat Greek food most of the time in the evenings when in Greece but Theo's Hotel where we stay does the most delicious pizzas so they get a look in sometimes. At lunchtime we eat light snacks which come from several national sources. Probably our favourite light lunches are 'Mezes' ('varieties'), sometimes Giros, but some of the home-made burgers served with salad are very nice.

We have no real greek favourites as such because restaurant chefs do such a variety of interpretations anyway. We enjoy Mousaka ( more solid and filling than the 'sloppy' excuse from UK supermarkets); Stifado (rabbit is the original Greek dish); and of course lamb Kleftiko.

Dennis
We love all the Greek dishes, and wouldn't dream of eating anything else when we visit the Islands. I can't wait for my 1st taste of kleftico, which this year will be eaten in Kephalonia.
absolutely no point in traveling abroad to eat English/American/Chinese/Indian/Mexican [unless thats where you are going]

Now normally, I would agree with you on this point. However -
I am just back from a 10 stint of working in Paris. I must say all this 'French food is the best in the world' malarky is nonsense.
Tried a few 'French' eateries and didn't like the food one iota. So, stuck to Chinese, Japanese, Italian places to eat. Of which there are plenty, in fact I would say actual French places are few and far betwen!

Off to Germany on Monday for a week, so pork, pork and more pork..... Oh and dumplings.
Oh just load your plates high with everything............................

Tzaziki (yoghurt with garlic and cucumber),taramasalata, greek salad and bread to start.

Then Stifado or youvetsi (sp, sorry) Kleftico or grilled sea bass, moussaka or souvlaki.......yummy yummy yum yum.

Dolmades and grilled cheese in foil.........You get the picture?????

Try everything really, you will not be disappointed, the only thing I cannot touch is the Greek coffee.....too strong, too thick (mmmmmmmmm, sounds like the hubby)............oh yes before I forget, the Ginger Beer is delicious.

Happy hols.
Tzatsiki with cheesy garlic bread! lushhh :)
I remember my very first Gyros in Gouvia 22 years ago, didn't know what it was but all the locals were eating them, sold from a vending caravan, it was yummy, joined the queue for another. We still look forward to having one. My other favourites are Stifado, Kleftico and Saganaki Prawns. Stifado from Strofilia Restraunt in Kassiopi is great.
mmm! anything and everything greek. If I had to pick a favourite it would have to be the lamb kleftico. Hubby favours souvlaki and loves a giros as a snack.
Oh there is so much I love...
tzatziki to start, greek salad, stifado, souvlaki, patsisado, sofrito...............now my mouth is watering and I am hungry!!!!!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.