Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
we used factor 30 and even after 3 wks of being there i only went down to factor 8 as it was so hot i couldnt sit in the sun the first 2 wks, you could feel yourself burning so easily ,so be careful, we came back about 10 days ago
We are a fair skinned family and usually use factor 15 for us all but we have just come back from turkey and fortunately I took a few bottles of 30 with me and the temps in our first week were around 50. I did put some 15 on one day and the sun burnt straight through it , so yes i would recommend using 30 at least.

lyn
i live here and would NEVER consider anything less than 15, Sometimes 20 on the face.... Please splash in on thoroughly and often..... it DOES waer/wash off. Please enjoy Turkey, and remember to drink plenty of water with your efes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I agree get a high factor it is so much hotter this year you would not want to spoil your holiday, I used factor 20 but stayed in the shade, plus after a couple of weeks back home the tan has gone but you are left with wrinkly skin, is it worth it, NO :(
I always use factor 50 and come home with a lovely tan :)
Kath HT Admin
i agree factor 50 ,more so with children,after all it dont stop you tanning ,,just means you got longer before reapplying more
This really depends if you want a tan or not, If you dont want to Tan use Piz Baun factor 30 all day long Its in a Brown Tube works for 10 hours and its waterproof also, Costs around £6 from Supermarkets, Follow others advice if you want a tan
i have been all over to different countries, and only used factor 15......this year in turkey i used factor 40 along with the kids :shock:

july was mega hot, i have a beautiful tan, no one burnt, and i have not peeled since coming home.....
We always use a high factor wherever we go, no need to take different factors, just use the same one. My husband is fair skinned and he even gets tanned using it, although it fades very quickly. Kids do get a light brown tan, but no burning.
weve just come back from turkey and i started with factor 15 but my friend started with factor 50 as she is fair skinned and it was very hot for her..I did end up with factor 2 and never burnt as for my friend she went down to factor 30 and she did try factor 15 but she was hot!!!!!
hi to all, i used to be a right sun worshipper, never had any problems and was a fan of that coco-nutty factor zero oil type stuff. i come from a family of dark hair, and olive skin and always went brown, then 3 years ago my dad was diagnosed with skin cancer to the side of his nose, he needed a full op with a skin graft which has now left him permanently dis-figured, the doc's opinion was that years of 2 or 3 med holidays per year with no to low sun protection have not helped, although we cannot be sure it was the only cause. to look at him you would never think he would even be prone to such an illness with his dark colouring-you do not have to be sandy skinned and red headed. i will never, ever use anything under factor 15 ever again now, and don't even get me started on sun beds. it's not until you see first hand the damage which can be caused by the sun that you realise how careful you need to be...i know i do anyway :cry:
Good post Kitty, I'll certainly start using the high factor stuff now I've read that. I'm dark too and thought it was ok to use low protection like 4, but after reading about your Dad I realise it's not.
I work in the Dermatology Dept at our local hospital and can only endorse what Greek Kitty says. My youngest son and I are very fair skinned and we always use Factor 50 and no less so that we can enjoy activities during the July heat. Hubby and son number 2 are darker skinned but they still use at least Factor 25. Even at home they have to use at least a 15. Slap it on frequently to stop any burning and enjoy your holiday sun. And wear hat, most sun damage is caused to the exposed areas such as the face, bald heads and forearms and hands, this is where skin cancers are frequently diagnosed. Di.
So for a healty looking tan and decent protection you recommend 30 then.
I`M fairy light dark skinned away.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.