Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
mamajama,

It obviously depends on the person, but the sun is very strong in Turkey at that time of year with temperatures pushing 40 degrees some years. To be on the safe side, I think I'd have gone higher, certainly for the first few days.

Darren
I've never gone as low as factor 20 for the kids, even in Bulgaria last year which isn't as hot as Turkey will be. Always make mine wear swimming t-shirts when it is at it's hottest and then minimum factor 30. They still tan, but slowly and rarely burn.

Pam :)
i always use above factor 30 and they always keep tshirt and hat on when we go in july sun is so powerful
I always use factor 50 on my sons, they are all fair haired and have never burned.
If i run out i use factor 30 on them and they have been fine with this too.
Honestly mama the sun in Turkey is red hot so i would get a higher factor to use.
My husband is very fair skinned and bald, he uses factor 50 (and the kids use it) and they never burn. I wouldnt go lower, as the sun is so strong, you only have to walk a short distance and you can feel it burning you.

We're going in August for the first time, my kids will both have hats on too.
We used spf 50 on the kids when we went to Turkey in July 06 and will be doing the same in summer 08.
i use factor 20 all the time. Roasting yourself for 2 weeks solid on anything less will only damage your skin. Kids should have sunblock in direct sunlight and make sure they wear a hat. plenty of water too... have a great time and don't get burnt!
Like you I took advantage of Tescos half price sale & bought Ambre Solaire factor 50, we go 1st week in June. Myself & the children are red heds & fair skinned so I am taking no risks. Hats & t-shirts on from 12 noon to 3pm also. My daughter got chapped skin on her face last year from being in the pool all day, any advice on how to avoid that would be appreciated.
thanks for all the replies i will just use the spf 20 myself i went out and bought the kids 40 & 50 earlier.
7 weeks to go yeeeehaa! :cheers
Asda doing Ambre Solaire right now at 2 bottles for a tenner. Anything from SPF4 to SPF50 in both cream and sprays. Stocked up tonight for our holiday in June/July.
Just got Boots soltan for kids FC 40 one a day. It lasts 6hours or hours in pool which is great as my kids spend most of the day in water. My oldest also has rashvest on in water which are excellant as you dont need to worry about reapplying cream as the vest give FC40 protection.

Jo
sorry it should say last 3 hours in pool!!
My children are half Turkish and fairly dark and I still start with a factor 40 and go down to a factor 30 once they have got a bit more colour. They also have uv swim suits for when they are in the pool.
My best advice tp you if you children are very fair skin is to get SUN PROTECTIVE CLOTHING....especially the type used for swimming etc..

wear a hat and tee-shirt, and try to avoid the time of day when the sun is at it's strongest. Try having some games ready to play in the shade. Or have them make drawings and have colouring books to pass the time.

Use lots of sun-lotion with a high UV factor ( 40+ )and slowly expose them to the sun. Not just all in one day or they will have bad sun-burns. Protect the nose and cheek areas as well as they are very sensitive.
Be wary of the long lasting lotions, I know of a couple of people who's kids burnt as they didn't last anywhere near the supposed time.
i've bought spf 50 for my little one and totall block stick for nose, mouth, cheeks etc....

tescos are half price, and asda are 2 for £10 so works out the same.
Woolworths had the NO-AD childrens coloured spray lotion 50 factor at half price.
My kids are also very fair skinned and although we have never been to Turkey before I have never gone lower than a factor 40 when abroad and even in this country (when we get the sun!) but they also wear the UV rash vests and shorts (they just look like surfing gear so quite trendy) and honestly I swear by these, brill for the beach and pool :) My youngest actually has an allergy to suncream and after alot of expensive trial and errors the only one he is ok with is Lavera factor 40 for sensitive skin and allergies but it is a small tube at £5.95 so I have had to buy quite a few tubes as I can't afford to run out when in Turkey :(
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.