Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
I didn't think that much of Calis when I visited there a couple of years ago. It had some nice looking restaurants and bars but the beach was a bit drab and stoney, Its all very flat there so not much scenery around. Lots of people love it but compared to Olu Deniz we were disappointed.

We normally stay at Olu Deniz which we think is the best place in the world! We like Fethiye too, espescially the old town were the bazaar is, the bars around there are great and I can recommend going to the fish market, where you select your fish and then get one of the restaurant there by to cook it for you. Its all in a pretty square, lit at night by fairy lights.

The other place you can get apartments in Hisaronu, which is in the mountains between Fethiye and Olu Deniz, nearer Olu Deniz. Its a fun place.
i agree with the above post, we have stayed in fethiye and olu deniz both are lovely places. my mother lives in turkey and told me a while ago that calis was awful although ive not stayed there myself.
I disgree with above posts lol, yes the beach is stoney but that wasnt important to us. It is flat, but there are mountains surrounding you, when you are sat on the sea front you have a fantastic view of mountains and across the bay to Fethiye. I havent been in September but from what I've heard it wont be quiet, lots of people without children go in September. The sea front area is the best part of Calis, as the rest is mostly residential, and its 5 to 10 mins on the dolmus to Fethiye where the shops are. There are a couple of clubs in Fethiye too, Club Bananas is the only one I can think of.
Thanks for all your replies!

I'm a bit confused now!? :que

We like going to places that are quiet but also have enough going on to entertain us in the evening. Day time we usually go on trips and visit other places and the evening go back to the apartment and either go out for dinner/drinks or get a takeaway and have a cosy night in! ;)

I'll have a look at Olu Deniz and see if there are any nice apartments there, coz there were none in Fethiye that I liked.

Does anyone recommend any other resorts around the Fethiye region?

Thanks again! :D
I honestly think Calis would be ideal for you. I just dont understand why others dont like it. I would also suggest Dalyan might suit you too.
We stayed in Calis 4 years ago so don't know how relevant our experience is but looking back at the holiday as a whole I would say it was good but not fantastic.
The hotel we stayed at (Kaan Hotel) was great and we would recommend it to anyone but 10-15 minutes walk from the front, hassle along the seafront promenade was mild-slightly moderate, nightlife we would say was quietish depending on which bar you ended up after your meal (all the restaurants we tried were much of a muchness but all very good)-we certainly didn't encounter any 'bang bang' nightclubs.
Fetihye we weren't over keen on-seemed to be a working town and quite a bit of hassle was encountered but if you were not actually staying there it was worth a visit
End of the day it is down to personal tastes and we certainly would not put anyone off going to Calis, we did have a good time-all we would say is we probably wouldn't rush back.
Would agree that Fethiye is more of a working town and the type of place you would maybe go to have a look around , market , catch a boat trip etc you dont really hear of Tour operators going there other than the couple of good A/is which are along the coast from there . One is Letoonia but cant recall the name of the other .

I havnt been to calis and so wouldnt be fair to pass judgement but have passed it on boat and drove through it . Cant say is struck me as being very scenic .

Olu Is very scenic and I think would be Ideal . Its a compact resort but there is plenty to do there and many trips to go on as I would of thought there would be from calis . There are plenty of resturants/shops /late bars etc but not clubs as such . Hisaronu/ovacik are a few minutes into the mountains from there though if you need more action . Hisaronu is a bigger resort but then you would have to come down to olu for the beach so its swings and roundabouts. basically you have Fethiye in the middle with calis in one direction and olu over the mountain in the other direction . If you drove from Fethiye to Olu or visa versa you go into the mountain first and through hisaronu . hope that makes sense but either are very close.

lyn
We stayed in Calis a few years ago, we had a great holiday but that was down to the people we met, we all got on very well and had some good times, we stayed in a little hotel on the front and i nearly died when we arrived i took one look at it and said no way, the manager and staff were the best.

Calis its self although nice hasn't much to offer, the beach isnt up to much although the views are great, i should imagine it will be quiet in Sept.
We loved Fethyie, you can jump the bus from there into Hisaronu and Olu Deniz, Olu being the nicest.
Wonderful beaches.
Icmelers ok wont be to mad in Sept, Dalyan is loverly very picturesque, surrounded by mountains.
We are all different in what we want and expect from a holiday, unfourtunatly we just have to go and find out for ourselves. You will have a good time where ever you end up.
I liked Calis. The beach is stony but that is ok with me. Fethye is good too. You have a choice of using the road dolmus or the water dolmus to get from one to the other very cheaply.

Calis has a nice sunset too.

Hisaronu is lively at night and is easily reached from Fethye.
we did calis and personally we wouldnt return , it was dirtier than any greek island we have been to ,mounds of broken glass near our hotel (golden moon) filthy beach , fag buts etc maybe that was a one off but after going to olu deniz we wouldnt return anyway !

Dan
Used to go to calis each year and really enjoyed it. No dirtier than many othere resorts.
But recently there has been a change in atmosphere owing to the number of ex pat residents influencing things , this spoilt it for us.
Fethiye is very good to visit and explore.
Also there are plenty of other resorts reachable by dolmus for days out etc.
Hi Del, just interested in how the ex pats spoilt your visit? (I'm not one btw!)
I found that the locals started catering for the them, eg fish and chips with mushy peas , etc.
More English foods and less Turkish etc,more english products in the shops, not exclusively down to ex pats I realise but the numbers of ex pats did seem to have an effect on the atmosphere.
We began to feel that we could be on holiday in a british holiday resort not in a turkish one.
i do know where you are comming from del but this happens to anywhere that starts to get popular its not what we came to turkey for 18year s ago but its all still there just a little further out
calis is a good resort as a nice quite base you have the little ferry into fethiye or the dolmus for the lively nightlife
:sun2
I had two weeks in Calis about 3 years ago and it was an ok holiday but I dont think I would return to Calis. The beach was stoney and uninspiring and there were very few shops. The resort mainly consisted of the beach front lined with hotels and restaurants. There were good points - its small and quite friendly and the sunsets are fabulous but I found it to have very little atmosphere. I loved Fethiye though, we got the boat across a few times.
Maverick, i agree with what you say. Calis WAS a lovely place, and regardless of why, there is no doubt that it has changed (for the worse in my opinion).
Agreed that the water dolmus is great and that you can reach lots of resorts really easily.
I can't remember it's name but ,,,,, there is a lovely private beach a few miles up the coast and if a few of you go into the dolmus station in fethiye and ask the guy in charge he will arrange a minibus to take you and bring you back for only a few quid for all of you.
Calis is not what it was, but that happens everywhere, but Fethiye is a really interesting place during the day and into the night.
Nowadays we go to Bitez.
tried Icemeler, marmaris, dalyan, side, kalkan and plenty of smaller resorts for day trips etc.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.