Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
Yes I agree. On overnight flights from the US the cabin crew have been conspicuous by their absence. I suppose you could always use the call button to call them if you want a drink or something, but I think I have only used it once in 30 years of flying as I see it as disturbing them.

luci :wave
well OH did disturb one of the cabin crew (NWA) from her knitting to ask if he could have a drink :lol:
I get bored out of my mind on long haul and can only survive by sleeping - but its worth putting up with. :D
We flew South African Airways to Cape Town last year and their crews raised the art of the `nightly disappearance` to the level of art form!!!..They turned the heating up to an awful level (hoping all would go to sleep) and vanished enmass or would have until one poor lady passed out and a frantic ringing of the call bell finally jerked a couple of them into life from somewhere...Mind you after that they went back to the `Scarlet Pimpernel` routine even the galleys were empty!!

I can honestly say that we`ve had better cabin service on a holiday charter than with these clowns. Have to say it didnt make me feel too safe with them either.
Please remember that cabin crew DO actually frequent these forums too. Is seems to me, from reading posts over a few months, that quite a few people have something against us?

On night flights it is a case of 'you are damned if you do, and damned if you don't' We try to get the cabin service done as quickly as possible on night flights, so as to minimise any annoyance to passengers. Trundling through the cabin with carts, with lights on full does upset most people. YET, as soon as they want a drink, and we are nowhere to be seen, we are accused of being lazy - we can't win!

We are not hiding, but just staying out of the way to allow you some space and rest. We can always be called with the bell, or you can come to the galley to stretch you legs. We don't bite (well, maybe some of us!!)
On my last overnight flight with Malaysia Airlines the flight attendants were walking round throughout the night with trays of water, juice and milo.
On an overnight Lufthansa flight the attendants only came through a couple of times but you could help yourself to drinks in the galley, (not much help though if you didn't have an aisle seat and your neighbours were fast asleep) but then I try not to fly Lufthansa long haul(another story) unless I don't have any other choices.
Even Cubana staff came round with water during the night.
Maybe I've been lucky with my flights. I rarely am able to sleep in economy on long haul flights but can't say I have noticed a lack of service.
Vic8700. Touchwood, I cannot ever remember having a problem with cabin crew.

In fact, when I flew long haul with First Choice in February this year, I developed a migraine shortly after take off. One of the cabin crew was a migraine sufferer too and understood how I was feeling. There wasn't enough she could do for me and kept checking to see if I was alright and whether I needed water. I really appreciated her help as I felt really rotten and tearful.

I have, however, witnessed problems between the air crew themselves. For example, on returning from Goa in March this year, the crew were arguing as to when to serve the breakfasts.
vic8700,

Thank-you for your posting. Unfortunately I can't agree with you based on previous experiences. I fully understand that you don't want to disturb passengers trying to sleep, but not having any staff even in the galleys to serve those customers wishing a drink prompted me to make this posting.

I don't have aything against flight crew, but please do also remember that we are paying customers who are indirectly paying your wages. Not getting a certain level of service may even prompt these customers to take their custom elswhere.

Perhaps you can give us an honest answer then. On night flights, do crew not take a quick nap? Walking through the plane to serve customers is very minimalistics, they can't be seen in the galley, so where else do they hide?

Mark :D
Mark,

I can only speak for myself, working for a charter airline. We do get breaks on night flights, however these are only for an hour or so and are taken in the galleys. On charter aircraft, unlike scheduled, there are no crew rest areas with bunk beds etc. We try to catch a few zzzz's sitting on a bar box or our crew seats. Breaks are always and should be made in rotation.

Scheduled airlines maybe somwhat different. I agree it is appalling if no one could be found in the galley. As a purser myself, tha would be just bad crew management. I believe on certain aircraft ie Boeing 747/777 there are specific areas for the crew with bunks and rest areas. Can anyone confirm?

On night flights I would always get the main service completed swiflty so as to allow the customers to rest. but would clearly state that we are always available should we be needed. I insist the crew make regular patrols through the cabin with water etc, approx every 20 mins. There is nothing worse than being trapped in a window seat gasping for a drink and not being able to move!

Granted, many airlines do things different ways. Some good, others not so. :wink:
vic8700.

On the larger long haul / ultra long haul aircraft such as the 747 / 777, A340 etc, there are crew rest areas with bunks. For example, the 747 has a crew rest area located in the tail section with bunks, photo here and here. On the 777, it looks like this or this or even this. On the A340, like this. The design depends on the airline specification.

Darren
We flew back over night with Sri Lankan Airlines from Maldives this year and had the best cabin crew we have ever had on a flight. Nothing was too much trouble and they were so friendly. Been on other long hall night flights and can't say we have ever had a problem. Must have been lucky.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.