America/Canada Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in America and Canada
According to Wunderground HERE the average highs for that time of year are 27C and lows around 16C so you should be fine with normal summer clothes and probably even shorts.

I would suggest trainers rather than flip flops as you will do an incredible amount of walking so need comfortable shoes.

If you are intending doing a lot of shopping, make sure you check you baggage allowance and pay for additional baggage in advance if your airline allows as excess baggage charges can be high, usually about £5 per kg.

We fly to Vegas with bmi and are lucky enough to have a baggage allowance of 2 bags per person each weighing up to 32kgs, but normal baggage allowance is usually only 20kg per person.

luci :wave
Thanx for replying

We are flying with Virgin and I think we are allowed 2 cases each of 23kg.
It is hard as you can't weigh them on your way home!?
Cheers Hev
A lot of the hotels also have coin operated laundry facilities so you can further cut down on what you take by washing T-shirts/Shorts whilst you are there.
That's a good point as we were able to do all the washing before coming home which was a Godsend. Most of the hotels in Orlando have this facility.

luci :wave
hiya
just a wee bit of advice for buying in florida we went 18 months ago, the best way around it is if you are intending to buy over there then pack as little as possible in your sons case add extra of his clothes to yours & your husbands. So all in all your son should only have about 10 k in his case. When buying over there take all the labels off the clothes ect and if you buy cameras or other hard goods try to get rid of the packaging. Hard if they are going to be christmas pressies i know but other wise you can be charged on these when you get to customs. Make the clothes look like they have been worn as well. as for clothes to take with you the evenings can get a little bit chilly so jean & tops with a cardie but most nights you will be warm enough. And i totally agree with luci trainers are a must you dont realise how much walking you do. If you smoke (i dont know if you do dont want to offend) but over there is like over here now no smoking anywhere inside. actually you go outside for a warm up because the air conditioning is that powerful sometimes your sat there shivering (well i did drops below 50 & i'm cold) You will love florida they are so nice over there and take it as a big complement if they ask you for id i got asked quite a few times and i have plenty of grey hair even at my age :lol: have fun

em
Hey - we're just back from 2 weeks at the All Star Sports Resort and just wanted to say you will have a BALL!!!! Its brilliant!!!

The malls we visited are Florida Mall (Very aimed at tourists etc - all the shops you'll ever need really), Mall At Millennia (Very Posh! Think Tiffany's, Bloomingdales, Calvin Klein, Dior, Mac, Louis Vuitton, Juicy Couture etc etc), Festival Bay (Didnt really like this one much - was always empty - hardly any shops but are buiding more). The best places to go though are the Outlets - Premium Outlets can be seen from I-4 (My partner says its Junction 68 on I-4 if he remembers correctly) and also Prime Outlets (Used to be called Beltz) are right at the end of I-Drive and both are great, especially the huge Nike outlets - we picked up TONS of stuff at half or more than what you'd pay over here. If you are a fan of trainers then i would just wait till you get there to get some - we just packed flip flops this year and bought all our shoes so we wouldnt need to carry anything extra back.

Just noticed you said you're not driving whilst over there - im sure the Lynx bus takes you from i-drive to Prime Outlets and Premium Outlets and also Festival Bay shopping mall.

We went at end November/Start December last year and i still found it warm enough to wear cropped trousers and t-shirts through the day and usually just took a zip top for over it at night. We just bought our zippers when we were there anyway.

You will always buy more than you intended to! I have to force myself to leave stuff at home or else i'd be overweight coming back!
Thanks for all the info you posted.
It is just what I wanted to know and a great help.
Getting excited now as it won't be long
Thanks again Hev
I forgot to say before - i am SO JEALOUS!!!! You will have a brilliant time - especially at the Disney resort - they are fab! We came back from Sports on 28th September and im still wishing i hadnt come home haha :) I wish i was still there. Our holiday went by so quickly though - my one main tip is to stop and take it all in when you are in Disney because before you know it it'll be over.

I want to come with you!! I can fit in a suitcase i think.... :P
Have fun!!!
Tip......pack a light pullover or cardy for when you visit restaurants. It's usually quite warm outside and so you'll be dressed in t-shirt and shorts. The restaurants always have their air-conditioning blowing and so you feel actually feel quite cold when just sat there.

Take $$ travellers cheques as most places accept them as cash.

Take a hat!

Don't get a convertable car as when wearing shorts you will get sunburn on the top of your legs as well as your head.

Don't feed the gators....it's illegal!

:D
Thanks for everyones input.
Won't be long...
Do we need suntan lotion?
We are staying in Holiday Inn I Drive then Disney Sports, do I need to pack my hairdryer?
Thanks again Hev x
Welshvixen - I think from your questions you are preparing yourself for cooler weather than you will actually experience. The weather is likely to be perfect with daytime temperature suitable for shorts and ideal for swimming in heated pools.

The climate in Florida in November is likely to be like a good summer's day here in the UK. The only difference will be the daylight hours with sunset around 6.00pm
Hi
I've been reading all your posts telling me not too pack too much but to leave room in my case to bring things back.
Just a few questions.....
I have 2 kids, 1 teen and a hubby. We usually take 3 extra large (32" ) cases if we go on 2 week holiday to europe etc but this time I am thinking of taking only 2 of them. Cases, not kids!! :rofl
This is our first time to Disney Florida. We are hiring a Intermediate, Pontiac G6 or similar from Alamo.
Firstly, do you think both cases are going to fit in the boot? It says on the car description it takes 2 cases and 2 bags, but does't state sizes of either!
Secondly, do you think I should try and take only one case?
We are staying in a Villa with washing facilities, so won't need two weeks worth of clothes.
Thirdly, whats the best way to leave spare room in the case for bringing stuff back?
I was going to buy a smaller case and pack that in one of the larger ones before I start to pack, but will customs pick up on my plans and pull me up at the airport over it?
Or should I only pack the cases half full? Will my clothes rattle around a bit too much and be in a jumble when I get there? (Usually, I have to sit on them to get them shut!I'm not used to half empty!!)
I don't go until July, but if I need smaller cases I want to be able to look around for some sale ones.
I'm grateful for everyones tips on bringing things back, but my brain is getting a bit overloaded!! :duh
I usually take one completely empty bag. If you make this a holdall rather than a suitcase, you can squash it into the boot better. If necessary on the return to the airport with it full, the people in the back seat will just have to have it on their laps, but this is better done with a holdall than a case! I also have a small fold-up holdall which goes inside a case. I cannot believe you could travel with only one case between five people! You must be a much better packer than me! We usually have an intermediate car and fit in 2 cases and a holdall in the boot OK,plus some hand luggage. But the cases are not as big as your size. However they are the 'expandable' ones, which gives you extra space for the return. Hope this helps. Oh yes, customs wouldn't care if you packed one bag inside another.
We always take an empty holdall with us and it always come's back full ;) in fact last year i had to buy another holdall :duh so this year i'm taking 2 empty one's.We don't take many clothes as we always stay in a villa and i just let the washer and dryer do the washing every few days or so :tup
Sue
With regard to the weather in october/november in 2006 when we were there it was up in the 90s very very hot. We came home on the 31st oct.

:tongue
I have also been in October and its been in the 80s/90s. We put a medium case inside the large cases and that way we go out with 2 and come back with 4.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.