Disabled Person Holiday Discussions

Are you disabled or know someone who is? What are your experiences of hotels and resorts as a disabled person?
I had wheelchair assistance at the airport. They were really good. Not sure what you want to know.
Just wondered what happens when you arrive and depart please.

Many thanks

Kath x
You have to wait until everyone else has got off the plane. I honestly can`t remember which method they used to get me off the plane. If it is an airbridge they meet you at the door of the plane with a wheelchair. If you have your own it will be your own chair (usually). Oh I remember now it was an ambulift. They then wheel you through customs and to luggage collection and then to where your tour reps are waiting or to taxis if you are DIY. When it`s time to go home you make your way to the departure desk and tell them you have arranged wheelchair assistance. A porter will arrive with a wheelchair, unless you have your own. If you have your own you can stay in it. They will pre-board you by ambulift and put the chair in the hold. if there is anything I havn`t covered just ask away.
Many thanks for that jax - it's a big help.

Kath x
Sorry to raise this again, but it will be our first time having assistance.

Has anyone travelled from Manchester using wheelchair assistance. if so, can you tell me the procedure for this. Am I allowed to push my hubby around or do we have to wait for someone ?

Kath x
Hi Kath, Will you be using your own chair? I use my own and hubby pushes me around. When they are ready to board you someone will come and find you or ask you by tannoy to make your way to the gate. Once you have boarded they will put your chair in the hold. If you are using an airport chair you can just tell them you are OK on your own, if that`s what you prefer.
Thanks Jax.

We will be using their chair. My husband has mobility problems and finds the airports verys tressful. I just wondered if we would be left on our own. Am sure I could manage to push him round. Well I hope so lol.

Kath x
I know it can be stressful but it gets easier when you know what to expect. I have always found the airport porters to be really helpful. We always make sure we put some money aside for a tip. The biggest problem my hubby has is pushing my chair and a trolley full of luggage. He used to push me a few yards and then go back for the trolley. Now we have it worked out. He puts the trolley in front of the chair and pushes both. It`s OK if you are going in a straight line! It won`t apply to you because you will get your chair from the check-in. Good luck and try not to worry. I`m sure you will be fine. :)
Thanks Jax

kath x
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.