Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
We have always found Dabolim duty free (on the way home!!) the best value.Have even had buy 2 packs (2 x 200)get 1 pack free. :tup
there is a duty free in Dabolim as you are leaving Goa, in fact there are two or three.
You can also buy in resort but need to be wary of fakes.
Ok thanks so I can buy on the way out? Will they check my bag if I buy more than 1 packet? I'm so worried about the horror stories have read on trip advisor about this airport is it as bad as they say!!xxx
do you mean , if I buy it in Manchester will they check my bag in Dabolim........very very unlikely.

Dabolim has a certain reputation, but its mainly for nitpicking officialdom rather than anything else

if buying it on way home at Dabolim they will tell you that you can take as much as you like...... you can't.
So we can buy in dabolim but they will take it off us or Manchester? sorry not sure what the best way is Thanks ;) xxx
Sorry, not made that clear!
You can buy in Dabolim and bring it back OK.
You can also buy it in Manchester and take it to Goa, (the same rules apply) and then bring it back to Manchester.
You can also buy it in the resort and bring it back to manchester.

If you bring back too much they MAY stop you in Manchester. Providing you do not exceed the limits there is no problem.
The limits are (I think)
200 cigarettes per person, or
250 grams of hand rolling tobacco per person
So if you are travelling as a couple you can bring back 400 cigs or 500 grams of tobacco without any problems at all.
Some people do bring back more than this but they take a chance on having it confiscated/having to pay the duty on it all.

The shop in Dabolim will tell you that you can take as much as you like, yes you can TAKE it, but you are still only allowed the pre mentioned limit into UK. Obviousley, they are only interested in selling it and what happens after that is not their problem.
Full and current Duty Free Allowance can be found on the HM Revenue & Customs Website :tup http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/customs/arriving/arrivingnoneu.htm#1
del949 thank you very much for this information i understand it all now :D xxx
Just to make one point clear - On your flight from the UK to Goa you will be handed an Embarkation card to fill in (where you boarded, flight No., passport No. etc) attached to this is a another slip that you need to fill in explaining the amount of duty free you are taking in (the actual amount you have paid). There is a limit on what you can take in (same as your return to the UK) 1 bottle of spirits/1 carton of cigs/1 bottle of perfume etc
The slip is a 'tear off' that you can do yourself or the visa people will do it and hand it back to you. After collecting luggage and heading for the exit of the airport, customs officials will ask for this (if they are looking), on the odd occasion (not seen it too often) they will ask to look in your hand luggage to see if you are over the limit - if caught they will confiscate.
Dels info is spot on - Manchester seems to be the worst for pulling people and have seen this on every visit, your choice, your luck, we have had a good run over the years.
Where are you staying in Goa ? Plenty of places to buy from, but as said lots of fakes about. 3 good places in Candolim, Elephant shop, Helens and the internet shop near Whispering Palms hotel.
4 years ago I stopped at Heathrow with 7 cartons and had the lot confiscated by a right jerk of an officer, wouldn't even allow us to pay excise on any of them! Mind you, across on another desk some bloke had his case seared and had 36 cartons confiscated!!! As many have said, it's a chance you take ;)
On a flight from manchester can you buy goods in the duty free shop at dabolim? seem to remember about 5 years ago that you could :think
Wow the information is fantastic thanks so much guys ;) wonder if the shop is open at 7.30 when we land and depart may just wait xxx thank you for all your help Just need to get there now (nervous flyer) and we go on friday YIKES :cry scared xxx
Do they scan your cases as you leave India I wonder If I should put them in there.? xxx :cheers
Yes all cases are scanned as you enter the air port,they also put a strong tape around the case which you need to cut off on your return home.
Annx
Your case will be scanned, but mainly for security purposes, no problem with cartons in there, but also don't forget the weight, as dabolim will do you big style for being 1 kilo over.
Have a good time. :sun2
Quality can be an issue with some shops.
I always use The Elephant Shop as they know I will be back.
I do ask them to be sure I get the good stuff

Steve
I don't smoke but bring ciggies back for our dog minder. One year I bought a load of Embassy (his preferred brand) from a small shop in Calangute and they were fakes. Unsmokeable!

Although I don't like the place, I've since bought from Newtons and they have been okay. They also do an Indian brand called Win that are apparently similar to UK cigs and so, so cheap. I think they were about 300rps for 200. Might be worth a try for all you smokers.

If you put a few extra cartons in your hold luggage on the way back, it's not the end of the world if they're confiscated by UK customs, is it?
If you put a few extra cartons in your hold luggage on the way back, it's not the end of the world if they're confiscated by UK customs, is it?

Not too sure what the maximum punishment can be, wether there is a more serious action than confiscation.
Certainly C and E at North Sea ferries are a lot keener recently.
I think if it's "a few extra cartons" you just get them snaffled. However, if you've got a suitcase full, you may need to call your lawyer!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.