Greece - Crete Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Crete.
Hi.
We have just returned from our first trip to Crete. We stayed at the Sunlight Beach Studios in Georgiopolis. Its about 45 mins from Chania airport. I would thoroughly recommend both the apartments and the resort for a family.
The apartments are quite new, and are right on the beach, with views of either the sea or mountains from the balcony. Although it doesn't have its own pool, you can use the Paradise pool, which is next door, or theres a free public pool at the Eden Park, just a couple of minutes up the road. There are enough Tavernas to eat somewhere different every night, and the beach is the cleanest I've seen in Greece. The sea is quite shallow, although we had the July/August winds during out stay, which made it a bit choppy on a couple of days! There are very few bars, and no discos, which suited us. Also, any places that do play music have to turn it down after 11pm (some local bylaw) so you don't get parties of teenagers coming back to their rooms at 3 in the morning!!
All in all Georgiopolis and the Sunlight ticked all the boxes for us, and we will definatley be going back - something I do not say often as we like to try out new places.
PS If you want to get a price the the Sunlight, look at the Kosmar website.
Thanks for that suggestion Lizzy. I think Georgiopolis looks lovely, but I haven't found much suitable accomodation. We were really hoping for a reasonably large pool, but that one at Paradise looks pretty small in the brochure (is it in real life)?

My kids practically live in the pool on holidays, but I'm very aware of them getting in other people's way if it's a small pool.

Any ideas of accomodation with a bigger pool? Kokalas appartments look good, but I hoped for something cheaper!
Hi, I also love Arillas & San Steph which were recommended to me by a friend, she has also recommended Gouves in Crete, apparently it's nice and quiet and family friendly, maybe you could find something suitable there.
West Crete is definitely preferable but these days they try to keep the drunken Brits out....they dump them in horrendous places like Malia.
West of Chania is wonderful....great mountains, beaches and much more Cretan. Try the Atrion hotel in Agia Marina (has its own website). The pool is the biggest in Crete! The coastal strip is tastefully developed and not a fish and chip shop in sight! 5 minutes inland and it's pure rural Crete.
Richard1 wrote:
West Crete is definitely preferable but these days they try to keep the drunken Brits out....they dump them in horrendous places like Malia.

We'll definately avoid Malia! :D
Avoiding Malia sounds like good advice if you want a peaceful holiday:

Guardian Report
I went to west Crete last year and it was one of the best holidays I ever had. I agree west of Chania is beautiful with some of the best beaches on the island. I stayed in Reythmynon which was quite busy and large but no drunken brits :) We found a small resort called Panormo near reythmynon and it was ideal for families, full of charm, good restarunts, watersports (without spoiling the resort) hanging baskets and whitewashed houses. My only complaint was it was quite small. Georgiopalis is a good little place too, great for families but more modern.....my advice is definatly book somewhere west of Herakilon :D
I can recommend Kalives Nr Chania in western Crete. Its a lovely place, seaside village, lived in all year by the locals yet with great sandy beaches and lots of tavernas and very welcoming for tourists. Great for a family holiday. No drunken youths etc. Also good location for visitng Chania with its Venitian influenced architecture, harbour and museums etc as well as the historical and tourist attractions inland.

There are self catering apartments and Villas available for rent. Have a look at the 'ownersdirect' website for ideas for accomodation.
Hope this helps
John
We have just returned from Anissarass near Hersonissos 17th Sept. Flying into Heraklion, the resort has beautiful beaches, really warm sea (The Cretan Sea) and is a laid back one horse resort. I would say it was not suitable for children as there is very little to do, if you are looking for peace & quiet, laid back, hassle free this is the resort for you. From Heraklion it is only 25 minutes transfer time. When we left the heat was 38 degrees, but had been much hotter. There are only 2 supermarkets and a clothes/souvenir shop there, but a leisurely stroll along the sea front will bring you to Analipsi where you have a very good selection of shops and restaurants, with excellent food.

There is a bus from Anissarass to Hersonissos cost 1.40 Euro and is roughly 4 kms away, where you can have an even bigger selection of shops. I recommend this resort for couples and middle aged people, there are no Karaoke bars or Disco's and any fast food outlets, it is still very Greek, and not influence yet by northern Europe.
Thanks for the info on Anissarass. Its not a place I know so will definately visit next time we go to western Crete.
:wave:
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.