Greece and other Greek Island Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Greece and other Greek Islands.
most of greece is still quite warm that time of year [we go october] the warmest would be say Crete or Rhodes due to location but even Chalkadiki will still be warm

yasus

wizard
i would definately reccomend alykanas in zante, its got a gorgeous beach and lovely resort centre.
I would definately consider Crete. The rainy season starts in Greece from about mid September so you could get a few cloudy days or even a sudden heavy downpour on the other islands. The evenings will be cooling off too.
Having said that, my first holiday on Kefalonia was late September 2001 and they were having their hottest September in 30 years. The night time temperature didn't drop much below 20 degrees! :yikes
It is a nice time to go to these islands as they are a lot more relaxed and welcoming after the busy period of July and August but you must be prepared for the unexpected weather wise!
But if you are simply after heat and lying by the pool then Crete, or as wizard says, Rhodes have to be your options!
Have a great time whatever you choose! :sun2

John :cheers
Crete is the most southerly Greek island so you'd expect it to be ok there weather wise. However, we went to Halkadiki a few years back in October and had great weather all week.
I've been all over Greece in late September/ early October - it's a favourite time for a late break. We've generally had good weather, 25 - 28ish C - and no more than about half a days rain, often in the form of a thunderstorm that's gone in a few hours. It's a good time to go, warm enough for the beach in the day without being too hot, the sea is still warm from the summer and it's cooled off enough to sleep OK at night, even without air-conditioning.
we have been from Crete in the south to chalkadiki in the north in October, if you want the slightly warmer dryer weather then plump for Crete or Rhodes or one of the small southern dodecanese islands

wiz
The weather breaks down earlier in the more northerly areas, so anywhere north of the Patras Gulf is more likely to have periods of unsettled weather than the places south of the Gulf. Also, the better locations are on the western side of any significant land masses.

So, your better chances of good weather in late September and October are:

West and South Peloponese - Methoni, Finikounda, Stoupa (see my web site - Messinia)
Cyclades Islands, especially the southern ones (Milos, Santorini, Ios)
West Crete (Chania, Paleochora - east Crete is more prone to thunderstorms)
Dodecanese, Kos and southwards to Rhodes.

How do I know this? I've sailed all around Greece for many years, and I now live in Messinia. My website is a tourist guide to Messinia, and also, under the 'sailing' bit, covers the rest of Greece - useful for a quick look at the various islands.

JimB -
google 'jimb greece' to find my website, lots of useful stuff for Grecophiles . . .
I would say Crete in order to be sure about the weather.
I think Jim is the man to listen to here for sure. After mid-September Greece becomes a bit of a lottery where weather is concerned, especially outside of the Dodecanese and the Cyclades/Crete.

It could be amazing, then again it might not. I think thats the chance you take really. I am going to Kefalos (Kos) on 1st October and, hopefully, it will stay nice there but I'm not banking on 14 days of pure sunshine!
After mid-September Greece becomes a bit of a lottery where weather is concerned

well for the last 8 yrs i must have won the lottery.. so wheres me money... :rofl

been to various parts of Greece end sept/beg oct and had briliant weather in the main the worse week we had rain twice OVERNIGHT nothing in the day

yasus
wizard
What I meant was that it is alot more likely to rain at that time than any other time during the summer.

I have been to Parga in September and it rained all week, Kos late September and it was overcast. Mate went to Crete end of September and it was overcast and thundery all week. Freind got rained out at Halkidiki last September.

Yes, maybe if I'd/they'd gone a week later/earlier I'd/they'd have had awesome weather. Thats what I meant. Its more likely to be bad weather. Not that it will be bad weather. Not at all.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.