Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
interesting read look forward to the next instalment.
Hi Gayle. Thanks for the update, its interesting to hear whats going on over in Goa. I know in my heart that I dont love Goa as much as I used to. We are going back late March and we will see how we feel after that. Ive never been on holiday to Goa and not had another trip planned. I am sure we will return next season, but only for one visit. I need to use my holidays wisely and 2 trips to Goa uses up so much of my annual leave, plus the world is a big, big place and there are tons of places I want to visit.
Looking forward to the next part of your story and enjoy the rest of your holiday :wave:
Hi Gayle
I well remember your problem with the melted down chain.
It sounds like you've got it sorted, let us know what it's like when you pick it up. I bet you put the fear of God into that jeweller. Hopefully, he'll think twice about ripping somebody else off. How stupid of him to do it to a regulat customer, though.

We're giving Goa a miss this season, not from choice but some family things that are more important.
Reading some of the trip reports, I've started to think that maybe that's not such a bad thing.
I wonder if the Goa we knew and loved (not the one dating back to 1994 when we first went, but the more recent one that we discovered again in 2002) is gone for ever. I hope not.

I wonder why the sellers can't see that they are pricing themselves out of business.

I look forward to reading some more.
I too have spent many hours attempting to explain to the massage and pedicure girls, that the prices they charge are twice what one pays in the various beauty parlours, and there, it's done by a qualified person. I even explained how if they sold a package to holidaymakers for a set price they would be getting more work, but like Tomitima I was wasting my time, before there were plenty of first timers to give them business, but now, if they dont see sense re their pricing policy, they are all going to head back to the building sites in the monsoon, instead of living off their profits. Alan
Call me a killjoy, but when we went to Goa in early December it was very quiet, probably much quieter than it is now, but we found it a lot better. No queing for tables, peaceful shacks attentive service and the general abience was much better. Give me quiet any day.
I am here now and succesfully got a pedicure for 200 rs today so you can get them to negotiate...things are changing but they are all over the world, and the world today isn't the world it was 10/15 years ago when I guess a lot of readers started coming. One thing is for sure, tight now I know where I would rather be even if is costing a couple of ruppees extra
Are the ladies who do the pedicures and massages allowed to keep all of the money they make or do they have to give a certain amount to someone like a shack manager? This would explain why they are not allowed to reduce their costs.
Yes Sydney I believe they need to hand a bit over to the shack and also the corrupt police on the beach :(
As the average wage is approx 100rps per day, it still leaves a lot of profit, even after paying the weekly bribe for the police. As far as the shack owner is concerned the girls I know well, tell me that the payment is usually work behind the scene at busy times such as lunchtime. Like most of their "special friend" stories, they will quickly tell you the huge sums they pay in bribes, they definitley do pay off the police, but in the main, not nearly as much as they would have you believe. Alan
they cant seem to get it into there thick heads that people will not pay the equivilent of 5/7 pounds when they can get it done cheaper in a shop

I found this back in December! About 3 of us tried explaining this constantly for several days...... eventually the guy that was doing massages cottoned on and came and told me how busy he had been because he had dropped his price to 200 :) However, my 'handbag' man stopped speaking to me as I got my bags from a shop lots cheaper than he was charging...he just didn't get it!

(Have a :cheers for me whilst you're there!)
Gayle,

remember reading the thread about your jewellry and for that very reason we will never buy jewellry in Goa.We just do not know enough about it to be sure we are not being ripped off.As we are on holiday we can really do without the hassle of worrying about that sort of thing.

Take my hat off to your tenacity and hope you have a positive outcome.

Papa
I'm so pleased you managed to get your chain sorted out, I remember reading your original post about it.

We had the same conversations with the beach sellers in Dec/Jan the girls who Ive bought from for the last 10 years couldnt/wouldnt believe that this year we had no money to waste on their tat! Even on the odd occassion where I wanted to buy a sarong I gave up because they wouldnt go under 150 rups.

I also found it a lot quieter this year, I love sitting in the bar above the chinese at the top of the candolim beach road and people watch but some nights especially after xmas/new year it was a bit like a ghost town.

Hopefully for those that go back next season the business owners /sellers etc may have learned that hiking prices hasnt worked and perhaps that little and often is perhaps the better option....but then again it is India so I'm not going to hold my breath!
I very much noticed the price increases from beach sellers and shops. Some of the prices they want for their rubbish is actually not much cheaper than the Indian shops and craft shops over here. In fact some of them can't gt rid of the stuff here.

I've never understood that when business is bad/quiet the sellers/hotel/bar owners want to put their prices up.

On one occasion (Nov) I had a very nice meal at a restaurant and said I'd be back 'what's the price of your Tiger Prawns'.... '400' I was told. The manager spent a long time saying he was glad of our custom as it was quiet and would be pleased to see us back. Went back 2 days later and said to the waiter and manager 'I'm back for your Tiger Prawns'. My friend and I ordered...... got the bill ..... charged 600 each! I paid the bill and didn't go back even though it was nice. What's the point in arguing, they just want the money.

There seems to be more and more of this going on (not that it didn't happen before). After 4 weeks of hard luck stories in November I got a bit fed up with all this whinging from locals. I've been to Goa 7 times before and I'm a bit jaded by all the excuses, lies etc. While I do like the weather and prices (while they are still low), there seems to be more negative elements creeping in. A lot of it due to the Goans/Indians exploiting tourists.

I think this is just the start of a period of a few years of hard times for tourism in Goa. Unfortunately there has been so much building, but no tourists. I noticed down South a lot of the condemned building projects look as though they are turning into bird sancturies.

Where is it all heading?
I think this is just the start of a period of a few years of hard times for tourism in Goa.

Its not just Goa though is it. Whats going to happen as things get worse and worse in the UK. Holidays will be pushed futher and further down the priority list. The Goans haven't been doing themselves any favors for a few years now. Problem is they will blame it on the worldwide situation not on there sometimes stupid judgements on making a quick rupee of the holidaymakers.
so true Mardon, unfortunately they can't see past the end of their noses!!
OMG Gayle

Just read your update, what a nightmare but glad you got away from the shop. Not surprised you were terrified.

Have pm'd you for the name of the shop

Maria
:yikes Gayle I have just read your update too and im sure you were in fear for your life some big guys that bunch of :swear are you need to put the name of the jewellers on the forum this is just awful ....colleen
sorry - no names please. These are serious allegations and now that you have threatened them with this forum we can't put ourselves in danger of being accused of libel. We are not a commercial site and don't have funds for legal battles. I take it you are on your way to the tourist police and trading standards as I write. It will be easy for you to prove that the chain is not what you were led to believe and you have the receipt, and photo to back it up.
Wow thats very very scary!

Feel free to PM me the details of the place so i can go have a look. I arrive next Monday.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.