Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Where to Shop?
30 Posts
I didnt find Newtons expensive, found it very handy to get everything we needed from just one place and they have a good selection of food stuffs.
Must agree with Roxey found Newton,s great for every thing and no more expensive
than the smaller shops,good selection and most of all, light , bright,and clean
Ann :wave:
Strange how peoples oppinions vary, I was just going off some earlier posts regarding costs being considerably higher in there,

Mids
Newton,s is on the main Candolim Rd opp Seashells, Beach Rd area.
Ann
I went for a look in Newton's, just to see why it was so big! I did find it a little more expensive (by our standards) for things I looked at by comparison with the smaller Lawande Supermarket. It did, however have a better wine selection. I preferred to to continue to shop at Lawande, and support the smaller business. I didn't see any Goan shoppers in Newton's whilst I wandered round.
I used the elephant shop and Helens supermarket just before Nino's nook both great value for money
Phoebe how much were they charging for a bottle of white wine please. (If you remember that is :D )
400 rupees, if my memory isn't deceiving me, for whichever white wine it was I was drinking (that, I can't remember, but I drink dryish).
there is a small supermarket called ferns opposite the aloregrand they sell everthing you need and more it is run by a goan family i spoke to the owner and asked are you not selling the pastrys this year and she said that with the new supermarket newtons the demand had almost gone i would not shop in newtons as the prices for some things are a joke i like the personal service you get from my local shop ie friendy chat and smile i noticed sitting in anapunas opposite newtons that no goans go in there it is aimed at the tourist where will it all end shame in my opinion
Leaving bags at the door and havin a ticket in return put me off.

Talk of them sticking higher value labels over the printed/stamped rrp too?
yes surfstak dont like the sound of that myself .......i will stick with bruno's
The small super market in the back lane behind the indoor market next door to the photo shop (Calengute) marks down the rrp by a ruppee or two.
It has a small red turnstile onthe way in which doesnt work and you have to squeeze past :rofl
Gemma we got a decent Rose in the MD and i think it was only 350 a bottle,nice and chilled :cheers
Debi
Thanks Debi. I prefer white. I think I drank the white Riveira and it was ok, but cant remember the price.
Yep same make :tup I'm sure it was only 350 as i remember thinking it was cheap for a hotel
I might try the Rose tho Debi cos if needs must .... then its ok :cheers :rofl
I prefer red but as you say needs must ;) Adaptability is my middle name :rofl
a woman after my own heart Debi :cheers will try the Rose at the MD and give you my verdict when I return ;)
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.