Greece - Crete Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Crete.
Stalis would be a good resort to try - it's very like Sidari but on a smaller scale. Plenty of bars and restauarants - lovely beach - not hilly (as long as you make sure you book apartments in Stalis itself - there are a few situated up in the hills overlooking the village).
We stayed at the Latania apartments (Thomson brochure) and also the Irilena Apartments (booked independently) which are both really central and minutes away from everything.
Enjoyed both but not much going on at Irilena - Latania a bit more lively :)
I would second stalis. we had a great time there at the Socrates studios and apartments- it had a lovely big pool and friendly hardworking staff. It was also in an excellent location. Although the Thomson brochure says Malia, it's in between them both with plenty of bars and restaurants in between.
Stalis is fine as a resort but if you want to experience the real, traditional Crete with the most dramatic scenery and the best, relatively unspoilt beaches, you'll target the Chania area and even further west. Furthermore Chania itself takes some beating as a beautiful town with great restaurants, stylish shopping and superb nightlife. Visit http://www.west-crete.com/crete-daily-photo.php and you'll see how fantastic western Crete really is. There's no equivalent in the East.
From what I've read and heard Richard I think you may be right. The only problem is there isn't a wide variety of airports that fly into that part of Crete. I would love to visit but can't get there from my two closest airports :(
Same with me Shirley, I looked into going to Western Crete this last Spring but there were no flights from any of the airports I use and the only flight to Heraklion was at an ungodly hour. We went to Portugal instead and thoroughly enjoyed the holiday.

Judith
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.