Indian Ocean inc. Maldives/Mauritius & India Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in India and Indian Ocean.
It depends on your budget - I've not been to the islands you have mentioned but friends of mine have stayed at Bandos recently and said it was a lovely island (it is quite near to the airport too).

If you can get a copy read Adian Neville's Resorts of the Maldives - this is a true bible of the all resorts in the Maldives.

I have been to Kuredu (back in 2004) but this has changed so much since then I don't think I would go back, it is now just too big (but not the biggest, Sun Island takes this award).

The other island we've been to is Velidhu - great house reef, reasonable cost and the rooms are a good size (although we had a water bungalow).

The atolls and islands are generally the same - the only difference being the cost. You can go for a very good price in the rainy season (May to October/November) but if you intend to go in the dry season, shop around and compare prices because they do vary considerably (we've booked to go to Olhuveli next October and this was over £2k cheaper than Vilu Reef for the same fortnight).

Hope this helps.
(we've booked to go to Olhuveli next October and this was over £2k cheaper than Vilu Reef for the same fortnight).

Who have you booked with to get that price.

Gaz
We booked with Thomson leaving UK 11 October coming back 26 October for £4567 (but that was with a discount from CSMA) for deluxe room on half board (didn't want to pay for AI (over £100 per day for the 3 of us) for a person under 18 and we aren't big drinkers anyway) for 3 people (2 adults and a child of 12).

I had loads of trouble with Thomson sorting this out because we initially booked Vilu Reef for April 2009, and when we went to change it to October they wanted nearly £1000 more, which I can't understand because it is a cheaper time to go and it is why we changed the island completely to Olhuveli which worked out over £2000 cheaper in comparison.

Thomson and First Choice have now merged and I'm told the prices have gone up considerably, which I think is daylight robbery.

Good luck. If you want more info let me know.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.