Cruises

Discussions relating to Cruising holidays
Which Cruise?
12 Posts
Hi Danger Man
As you say its down to preference but i would say if you have young children they would be better off on anything but Thomson as they don't have much to keep them happy.
The Caribbean is great and so is the Canaries and i know both Carnival and P&O are child friendly but i have no experience of NCL.
Looks like it will have to be a lucky dip but which ever you choose i am certain it will be the right one and you will have a good time
Good luck and sorry i can't be more helpfull
Roger
Thanks, Rogerdoger. My "children" will be 20 and 17 next year so they ought to be able to find something to keep themselves amused wherever they are!
Very difficult to please everyone I would have thought! Personally I like the eastern med idea, a week cruising and a week relaxing is best of both worlds. Cant speak highly enough of Adriatic Explorer cruise with Thomson, brilliant itinerary.
Canaries from Southampton? Well you waste a couple of days at sea straight away, don't think the Canaries are a particularly picturesque group of islands and would def visit in winter rather than summer, seems a waste going in summertime when the med is so much more interesting.
Same for Bahamas etc, more a winter destination again? Isnt there more chance of hurricanes in summer months? (Apologies if I'm wrong about that)
If the Azura is sister ship to P&O Ventura then I personally would find it too child friendly in the summer months - we were on Ventura in June, young kids def enjoyed themselves but noise levels around pool area was horrendous, we couldnt even sunbathe in the vicinity, too many excited youngsters jumping into pool from all angles so everyone got soaked. I think your two at their ages wouldnt want that either?
Cant really fault either Thomsons or P&O on drinks prices but heard NCL & Carnival are very expensive, with automatic 15% added on every time you bought one. It must add up for 4 over 2 weeks. Would be interested to know which option you choose. :)
Could I suggest Royal Caribbean which would be a great choice for your kids. So much to do and great ships.

Sue
Could I suggest Royal Caribbean which would be a great choice for your kids. So much to do and great ships.

That is another option. We've cruised the Med several times, all with Thomson's, so fancied something different. As we're restricted to school holidays (my wife is a teacher) we're a little limited on choice. We're having a family meeting this weekend so hopefully will have made a decision for Monday?

As a matter of interest, where do people book their cruises? I've either booked at a TA or online with Thosmon's direct but I'm sure there must be cheaper ways.
I always book with a trusted Travel Agent but some people book with US Web base TA's
Sue
I second the vote for Royal Caribbean over Carnival any day. If you like tacky Las Vegas style decor you might like Carnival. Royal Caribbean has the Liberty of the Seas from Miami, the Freedom of the Seas from Port Canaveral, and if you have a fat wallet, the Oasis of the Seas, sailing from Fort Lauderdale.
Do some reading of reviews, looking at photos, the RCCL ships are much more beautiful, hae many more amenities and are iresorts in themselves. http://www.Beyondships.com is a great place to take virtual tours of the ships you are interested in.
What sort of things do your adult kids like.

Don't forget the US ships in the US can be a bit stricter on the drinking under 21.

Have you looked at NCL Epic in the med no idea on costs we don't tend to look at school holidays
some great entertainments and food choices that might appeal more to the adult kids.
The solo studio cabins might be ideal for them or you could look at a 2 bedroom suite f they will share

Have you considered one of other school holidays for the main holiday, Easter sometimes has good deals.
There is a Useful Links sticky topic at the top of the forum with some contact details of agents.

If any members have any further suggestions to add to that topic, please feel free.

luci :wave
I think we are going to go for the NCL cruise from New York to the Bahamas, mainly because the kids are excited by the thought of 3 nights in New York beforehand! I phoned Virgin and they can do the flights, an outside cabin and three nights at a centrally located hotel for £5k which didn't sound too bad to me.
If NCL appeals, then rather than the Bahamas, take a look at NCL Gem, she will be sailing 7 nights down to Bermuda from NY.
You can still get your holiday started off in NY, but Bermuda is MUCH nicer than the Bahamas. NCL ships allow 18 yrs to drink beer/wine with parental permission and the drinking age in Bermuda is 18 so they could go to the pubs.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.