Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
I didn't use insect repellant during the day I only needed at night when I was there they seemed to come out when the sun was setting. Though I could be wrong. Happy holidays.( if in doubt buy sun lotion with repellant in soltan do some :cheers )
If going to use both put the sun related one on first wait for it to be full absorbed then apply your insect repellent.

If you have a Poundland (other shops probably doing them) they have Mosquito & insect repellent wristbands that seem to work well.
Thank you both for your prompt replies - I have never ever been bitten but also have never been to Egypt before - So will take precautions just incase.

Your advice is appreciated :tup
Only ever apply insect repelant of an evening and then it's always the Avon skin so soft .
hi..Ive bought some aftersun by calipso to try ...it has insect repelent in it...in green pump top bottle ....from home and bargain....tweetie
I don't use it in the day time, and I have used the wrist bands and find they work better for me, and they are less pongy than the spray repellent too.
I would also recommend with my life to go in a supermarket and buy "OFF" fab stuff, you spray yourself and your room remembering to shut everywhere up. Also if you have mossies in your room, ask reception to pop an mossie plug in for you. Or you can buy them there. We always buy 'off' and bring it home for future holidays. A lot stronger than deet. It does not smell too bad on your body either. Also mossies love the smell of perfume and coconut.
Me I'm different

I tend NOT to use smells as a deterent but I have an electronic Mosquito

It's a buzzer that imitates the Male Mosquito's sound -- as everyone knows it's only the Female that bites as she has to build up energy to lay her eggs and the longer she can go before sex the more eggs she lays
SO
She definitely tries to stay away from them pesky males who's only target is SEX then they die without ever eating in the adult formago

so a buzzer is good especially as the only thing I can actually use is what the SAS use and that's Avons Skin So Soft dry oil
and in Egypt you only need it at night
hi Gray.....wouldnt mind trying one of them buzzers.....tweetie
TWEETIE PIE wrote:
hi Gray.....wouldnt mind trying one of them buzzers.....tweetie

I want another but not seen them here this one came from TENERIFE
hi Gray...if you give us a brand name or anything written on it might find it for sale on net somewhere...thanks...tweetie
Yep it's true, British & US Troops in Iraq and Afghanistan use it and so do I, works a treat :tup

I stay near the Submarine base at Faslane and a lot of my neighbours are military, MOD plods etc and they all swear by it too, an essential item in any soldiers kit :D
:rofl
Sorry mate i'm not laughing at you,it's just hilarious, but the issued insect repellent for tropical and desert ops for SF isn't avon,it's far far stronger and probably one of the only little bits of kit the Army give you that you can actually rely on and don't need to go out and replace with your own kit, just dont put it on your forehead and have sweat run in your eyes when you're trying to be sneaky in the dark :rofl
I don't know how he found out but it was supposedly discovered to work as a repellent by a Marine :que
Kiltman HT Mod wrote:
I don't know how he found out but it was supposedly discovered to work as a repellent by a Marine :que

It's marketed by Avon Australia as an insect repellent as well

Been talked about for years it's permanently in my caravan anyway because it works

And as for the little buzzer the only things marked on it are

ON & OFF

we did have a second one of a different make which looked like a lipstick tube but that packed up a few years ago and now the only ones I can find are 240v but there is also a lot of negative publicity about them all I know is when I'm fishing and have a cloud of bugs around when I switch it on in about 3 minutes the bugs have all gone
I guess i should have added my input with the above posts....I live in Greece and the mozzies here can be absolute hell in april and may,and still pretty bad the rest of the time,I've used plug-ins for years here and the last time i remember getting bitten in my apartment was a good 3 years ago and that was on the balcony,i used to use the ones with the blue tablets but it becomes a pain and expense getting the tablets,plus they run out when you're out or asleep etc, so i changed to the one with the liquid in the bottle that slots on top of the plug upside down,i have it running permanently 24 hours a day and the bottle lasts around 10-12 weeks,not bad for 3 euros.

When out or at work etc i never really use any repellent,only in early may when we spray everywhere a few times a night in the bar,only ever get bitten a couple of times here and there and luckily for me the mozzies don't seem to like me,no reaction to the bites like some people get but i think that's down to living here more,perhaps things like diet and local bacteria in your system etc makes a difference,same as the locals,they rarely get bitten either
:que

Best repellent friends of mine use is the wet wipe ones,they swear by them and they're easier to use
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.