Algarve/Portugal/Madeira/Azores Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Algarve
Hi Caz :wave:

A lot of the Algarve is a bit up hill and down dale, but Vilamoura might suit, as it is purpose built with a posh Marina and on quite flat ground. I have visited a couple of times and eaten in restaurants on the Marina, there were a couple of hotels that look at the Marina one side and I beleive the beach on the other side, but they might be 4* not 3*.

When you ask for pretty, I found it quite attractive in a purpose built and manicured way with all the normal whitewashed bulidings you associate with the Med, but it isn't a traditional Algarve Village if that's what you are after. It does have a lively/slightly upmarket atmosphere at night in the main season.

Can't give you a load of information as I am a Lagos/Luz person really, but Lagos is full of cobbles and inclines so tough on the feet, unless you restrict yourself to the Marina which isn't enough for a full holiday.

Don't know if this information is much help, but thought it would maybe give you somewhere to research.

Doe :sun2
Edit: Just had another though might be worth investigating somewhere called Alvor as well, the parts of it I saw didnt seem too hilly, but hopefully someone else will come on and and confirm.
Thanks Doe....I'll have a look at whats on offer, I did think about Praia De Luz as it looks lovely but was thinking it may be too quiet.....Caz xx
Hi Caz :wave:

From what I remember of Luz it is a bit flater than Lagos and if you do find it too quiet of an evening you can get a cab into Lagos for a meal out once or twice, just ask them to drop you somewhere suitable where you wont have to walk far to a restaurant, or maybe at the Marina that has a few bars and eateries, and tell them when to come back for you. Luz has got a nice beach with beach cafes on it.

I am sure there were at least a dozen restaurants in Luz and that was a number of years ago so might be more now, but as with most holidays we try a few, find a couple of favorites and then eat at them all the time. Luz and Lagos seem to have a bit more character than Vilamoura.

I'm not sure how many hotels there are in Luz, it seemed to be more of a self-catering resort to me, but in fairness at that time I was booking two-bedroomed apartments, so wasn't researching hotels. I stayed in the Waterside Village in Luz and the Marina Club in Lagos, i'm thinking about going back to Lagos or somewhere around there this summer.

Let us know how you get on hope you manage to find something nice.

I put Algarve into Travel Republic's search engine this morning and it came up with hundreds & hundreds of accomodations :yikes I didn't know where to start, so gave up :duh

Doe :sun2
Hi Caz,

I live in Lagos and although Doe is quite right that there are hills around it - the marina and town centre are all pretty level and within easy walking distance of each other but you would need to be careful where you booked so as not to end up on one of the hills! The Tivoli hotel is near both the marina and town centre and there are several bars and restaurants just opposite the entrance if you didn't want to walk into town! There is also Albergaria Marina Rio hotel nearby - on the main avenida overlooking the marina . They are both 4* though so don't know if they're the sort of thing you're looking for. It would take about 5 minutes to stroll to the marina from either and 10 into the centre. The pavements are cobbled but they tend to be everywhere here and I can't say I've ever found it a problem...I just don't wear high heels any more!
Lagos has a good nightlife (friendly but not boisterous if you know what I mean!) and huge choice of places to eat / drink etc at the marina and in town.
Alvor is lovely and stayed there many times before living here, but the centre with all the bars etc is very hilly.
Thank you both for your comments and I will let you know if we do decide to go. :cheers.... Caz
Lagos would suit your requirements. I would opt for the Albergaria Marina Rio hotel over the Tivoli, or a self catering apartment on the marina is an option.

Most of the main town is flat, it's only the old town that is hilly. Luz is also hilly, but has some lovely restaurants if you fancy a night out.
Lagos sounds interesting... How about the weather? Does anyone which area is sunnier?
I think between Vilamoura and Lagos there would not be much to choose in the weather. September would be a lovely time weatherwise, I have been three times in late July and it has been baking, not so sure about October as during October the weather starts to change all over the med, and towards the end of October you might strike unlucky.

The Easter Algarve is slightly warmer than the Western aAgarve, but I think you would need to go as far East as Tavira etc to feel any real benefit from this and to experience significantly less breeze. Lagos can be breezy but we never found it a probem infact it was a welcome relief.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.